What's new

Tech Aquaman Combo Thread

DJbezoar

fuel retard
Hey, I have a small question and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this: When I do F13 xx Trident scoop when I try to follow up with 22 aquaman will not be facing the opponent. Like.. It hasn't registered that the opponent is on the opposite side of Aquaman or something.

It's really weird. Is it my execution? A bug? Cause it feels really odd and random.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Hey, I have a small question and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this: When I do F13 xx Trident scoop when I try to follow up with 22 aquaman will not be facing the opponent. Like.. It hasn't registered that the opponent is on the opposite side of Aquaman or something.

It's really weird. Is it my execution? A bug? Cause it feels really odd and random.
Yea I can't do it consistently either. Just do b12 in stead after the scoop!

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican

I have that same problem too. so I go for b 1 2 follow up instead..or I wait a bit then follow with 2 2

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps

DJbezoar

fuel retard

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So yeah I'm going to say again since no one responded. Anyone want to post for me an organized combo guide/list and I'll update the OP? I'm playing like 90% Lex and 10% Aquaman right now so I don't know whatever's up to date.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme

lol yeah i get this quite alot,its really annoying.i think its a timing thing more than anything though.

So after a d2 AA is it worth to burn the 1 bar for db2 if it wont kill? The scaling seems so severe that I feel i should just be doing
d2, b12 xx db1, 223 or f2 1+3 depending on where I am on the screen.

DJbezoar

fuel retard
So after a d2 AA is it worth to burn the 1 bar for db2 if it wont kill? The scaling seems so severe that I feel i should just be doing
d2, b12 xx db1, 223 or f2 1+3 depending on where I am on the screen.

I dunno, I always waste the meter when I can.. 30% for one bar off of an anti air is nothing to scoff at.

Yeah after f13 scoop you can do 1 221 or f2 1+3 its slightly more damage, easier to land (for me at least) and if you wiff the 1 its not nearly as bad as wiffing a 22

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
what's the most consistent way to convert off a D2? you have to be pretty close to use 22, and only the first hit of scoop lands if it's too far. B12 seems like the best option, but it still won't hit off a max range D2, and you don't have time to dash afterwards.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
Meterless mid screen
B12~db2, b12~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

22~db2, b12~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

B2, b12~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

B2~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

f1~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

f13~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

D1~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

D2, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

B3, J3, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

F3, J2, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

air to air, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

meterless corner only
f13, 22~db1, f2 1+3

Meter midscreen
B12~db2, b12~MB db2, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

22~db2, b12~MB db2, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

B2, B12~MB db2, 22~db1, F2 1+3 or 223

B2~db1, 22~MB db2, F2 1+3 or 223

B2U3, MB db2, dash b12~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

F13, MB db2, dash b12~db1, F2 1+3 or 223

F13~db1, b12~MB db2 F2 1+3 or 223

F1~db1, 22~MB db2, F2 1+3 or 223

B3, j3, 22~MB db2, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

F3, j2, 22~MB db2, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

Air to air, 22~MB db2, 22~db1 f2 1+3 or 223

d2, 22~MB db2, 22~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

D1~db1, 22~MB db2, f2 1+3 or 223

MB db2, dash, b12~db1, f2 1+3 or 223

Corner only
meter
F13, 22~MB db2, 22~db1, f2 1+3

rev0lver

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
what's the most consistent way to convert off a D2? you have to be pretty close to use 22, and only the first hit of scoop lands if it's too far. B12 seems like the best option, but it still won't hit off a max range D2, and you don't have time to dash afterwards.

In all but the most extreme max-range situations, you can usually walk forward about half a step (best accomplished by just holding forward while waiting for the opponent to fall to the right height), and this will get you into range for the 22 pickup. It's usually not that hard unless you traded with the opponent at a long range, in which case you may have to do something non-optimal just to get some kind of conversion from the hit.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
In all but the most extreme max-range situations, you can usually walk forward about half a step (best accomplished by just holding forward while waiting for the opponent to fall to the right height), and this will get you into range for the 22 pickup. It's usually not that hard unless you traded with the opponent at a long range, in which case you may have to do something non-optimal just to get some kind of conversion from the hit.
oh i see what you're saying: you can do that when D2 is used as an anti air, but i often use it against batman players who send out bats from full screen and then dash dash dash up to me. one thing i didn't realize until now is bats don't put you in a lot of blockstun so you can just block and attack. i use D2 in case he jumps, but obviously, it also gets him if he tries a ground string. so a grounded opponent is probably the hardest situation to convert off a d2.

when are you supposed to use trident rush? i was thinking you could block-confirm your string and then go into rush for chip damage since it's safer than scoop and from the deep (?), but since aquaman has such good mixups, it might be worth going for the scoop anyways or pressuring with F12.

which brings me to my next question: how exactly are you supposed to use trait? i see some people waiting until they get hit, but then i see some people using it in anticipation of getting hit. i think the second one is worse because some people still have trouble punishing, so you're wasting your trait for nothing. but i see tom brady using it early all the time.

sorry if those are answered already. i'm trying to read this whole thread but there's a lot of pages.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
testyourpatience

22 will work after a ground hit d2, but it's kinda tight compared to an anti-air hit. Definitely worth practicing, though, it's nowhere near impossible and actually very practical in certain matchups, particularly the Aquaman mirror, because it's 7f and launches on 1st hit so that he can't protect himself with trait. d2 combo damage is low, but it sure beats the damage on b1 into nothing because the other Aquaman popped trait.

Trident Rush is -10 on block, but very difficult for most characters to punish on block. In order to ensure you have minimal disadvantage on block, you want to dash way into the opponent when you do it so that the last hit gets blocked. As long as the last hit gets blocked, most 6-frame moves can't punish you on block, even as reversals, due to awkward spacing. Don't try this against Superman with full meter, obviously.

If you have surplus bar that you don't need for defense (don't do this vs. Doomsday or Nightwing unless you are winning HANDILY), you can do Trident Rush MB, which is the same disadvantage on block. The move doesn't do a GIGANTIC amount of chip anymore, but it still REFUNDS 20% meter on block (4/5 of a stock), so it usually forces the opponent to pushblock to deny you meter gain and chip. This is a 1-to-1 meter exchange, and can be useful if you have the meter lead, and you want to intentionally drain your opponent's meter by forcing them to pushblock.

Trait takes the most getting used to, but is extremely rewarding when you get better at using it. it's not just for protecting yourself after a blocked move that's really unsafe, it can also save your life if you WHIFF a move, as well as severely limit the damage you can receive from certain standing resets (read: Killer Frost). Tom Brady is an excellent player to watch for his use of trait; he has an excellent ability to use the trait to save himself from whiff punishment if he makes a bad guess. Watch the ECT top 8 stream archive for good examples of when to use trait.

This trait is absolutely crucial to getting the most out of Aquaman because he's not a particularly safe character, nor is he a particularly deceptive one. If your opponent isn't killing themselves jumping into his d2 or getting hit by b1/b2 all the time, you need to take calculated offensive risks to confuse and/or condition your opponent, and trait helps keep you safe (or less unsafe) while you try stuff out.

Trait is a hard thing to TELL people how to use. Learning how to use it is mostly about trying it out in casuals and seeing what works, what doesn't, and paying careful attention to what it ruins.

x0Kakashi

Kneel before me.
some swag combos

Midscreen:
3, MB db2, dash, b12, db1, 22, bf2
b123. MB db2, dash, b12, db1, 3, bf2

corner:
f13, b123, MB db2, b123, db1, f2+13
f13, b123, MB db2, b123, df1

Anybody have the damage %'s for these combos? Also not to be nitpicky but I'm curious as to why in notation MB is in front of the move since MB is actually a button press that occurs after the move.

Thanks OP and contributors for putting ths thread together.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
testyourpatience

22 will work after a ground hit d2, but it's kinda tight compared to an anti-air hit. Definitely worth practicing, though, it's nowhere near impossible and actually very practical in certain matchups, particularly the Aquaman mirror, because it's 7f and launches on 1st hit so that he can't protect himself with trait. d2 combo damage is low, but it sure beats the damage on b1 into nothing because the other Aquaman popped trait.

Trident Rush is -10 on block, but very difficult for most characters to punish on block. In order to ensure you have minimal disadvantage on block, you want to dash way into the opponent when you do it so that the last hit gets blocked. As long as the last hit gets blocked, most 6-frame moves can't punish you on block, even as reversals, due to awkward spacing. Don't try this against Superman with full meter, obviously.

If you have surplus bar that you don't need for defense (don't do this vs. Doomsday or Nightwing unless you are winning HANDILY), you can do Trident Rush MB, which is the same disadvantage on block. The move doesn't do a GIGANTIC amount of chip anymore, but it still REFUNDS 20% meter on block (4/5 of a stock), so it usually forces the opponent to pushblock to deny you meter gain and chip. This is a 1-to-1 meter exchange, and can be useful if you have the meter lead, and you want to intentionally drain your opponent's meter by forcing them to pushblock.

Trait takes the most getting used to, but is extremely rewarding when you get better at using it. it's not just for protecting yourself after a blocked move that's really unsafe, it can also save your life if you WHIFF a move, as well as severely limit the damage you can receive from certain standing resets (read: Killer Frost). Tom Brady is an excellent player to watch for his use of trait; he has an excellent ability to use the trait to save himself from whiff punishment if he makes a bad guess. Watch the ECT top 8 stream archive for good examples of when to use trait.

This trait is absolutely crucial to getting the most out of Aquaman because he's not a particularly safe character, nor is he a particularly deceptive one. If your opponent isn't killing themselves jumping into his d2 or getting hit by b1/b2 all the time, you need to take calculated offensive risks to confuse and/or condition your opponent, and trait helps keep you safe (or less unsafe) while you try stuff out.

Trait is a hard thing to TELL people how to use. Learning how to use it is mostly about trying it out in casuals and seeing what works, what doesn't, and paying careful attention to what it ruins.
in reading your post, i realized that i shouldn't be going for D2 when my opponent's on the ground anyways because it's unsafe, so i shouldn't be worried about comboing from it after hitting a grounded opponent. perhaps only against aquaman, but i'd probably use another character against him anyways. what combo do you do after connecting a d2? i figured spending a bar is stupid because it scales so much, unless you need it to win or something.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
testyourpatience

d2, 22~DB1, f2 1+3 or 223
d2, 22~DB2 MB, 22~DB1, f2 1+3 or 223
d2, 22~DB1, 22~DB2 MB, f2 1+3 or 223

Any of those three combos will work on the whole cast, ground OR air hit d2.

If you hit an opponent VERY high in the air with d2, you can do stuff like the following:

d2, b3, j3, the rest of any combo above
d2, j2, the rest of any combo above
(stage-specific) d2, background kick, b3, j3, the rest of any combo above

These are not required, and in the b3's case, are often difficult to hit-confirm in a real match (b3 is obviously slow, and the recovery on d2 makes it hard to time early). As long as you can do 22~whatever after d2, you can do decent Aquaman AA BnBs. f2 1+3 is the preferable ender (if you can't do the d3 -> pseudo-OTG b1 setup, which may or may not be getting removed from the game anyway) because the spacing and recovery time is better than 223, but if you need to do 223 to keep the opponent in the corner, then do it.

Spending a bar on d2 is actually worth it in most matchups unless you REALLY need to conserve meter to defend yourself. I can only think of two matchups so extreme that you'd need to do that, and those are Nightwing and Doomsday. Otherwise, there's no shame in spending meter on a d2 combo. The extra damage is usually QUITE worth it, even considering damage scaling from the d2 starter.

You have to remember in this game that meter build isn't temporarily suspended mid-combo after using an MB move -- if you have enough non-metered hits in your combo, you can rebuild a lot of the meter cost of your combo. You're typically not flat-out losing a WHOLE stock to do an MB combo. You're not doing a lot of damage, no, but not at a very high cost, either.

If you recently spent a bar on a combo you just completed, though, and you have a decent life lead, it can be frugal to just do a meterless combo off d2 instead of a metered one to stockpile for a bigger combo off a less scaled starter (b1, b2, MB b3, etc.). It's really just common sense when managing meter for Aquaman's combos; as long as you don't spend more than 1 stock in his combos, you usually don't have to think too hard about his bar. Just do whatever makes sense for the situation you're currently in.