What's new

Discussion Anti-Airs Suck in MKX: Fact or Myth?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I want to address this idea that anti-airs suck at MKX. I want TYM to decide based on facts if it's an actual fact or just another myth (shoutouts to the safe armored launchers abundance myth).

So what I want to do is do a count of the characters that have good anti-airs vs the number of characters that struggle with anti-airing. I'll start with the characters I play (at any level) and have absolutely no trouble anti-airing with:

Subzero - S1 and EX Frost bomb, Slide if you have large-enough testies
Kotal Kahn - B1, D2, D3, air grab
Shinnok - LOL
Balanced Kenshi - D2 and RK/EX RK. I'm pretty sure the other variations have good AA tools as well.
Ferra/Torr - This is the only character I used to struggle to AA with, but BioHazard consistently rapes jump-ins with d3 so that's my fault not the character's. In Lackey you have DP and EX DP as well.

Characters I don't play but I know/it's agreed that they have good AA tools:
D'Vorah
Scorpion
Cassie
Sonya
Erron Black
Jax
Alien
Kung Lao
Kung Jin
Mileena
Tremor
Kano
Goro
Triborg
Kitana
Predator
Raiden
Ermac
Quan Chi
Jacqui
Takeda

Remaining characters, don't know enough about them, need information:
Reptile - Has a good armored launcher, anything else?
Jason
Tanya
Bo Rai Cho
Johnny Cage - I hear this guy struggles with AA - RIP MK9's F3/B3 OS
Liu Kang
Leatherface

If you disagree with the placement of any character let me know.
Tanya can consistently standing 1, crouching 1, backteleport into fireball in pyro, fireball itself is good on a read as well. Her njp is decent.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
One of the early posts in the thread suggests that uppercuts are reliable but not enough. Why? Who says an anti-air should lead to a high damage combo?
While I agree with you, the argument is that they're gonna get their max damage combo if it hits or free pressure\50/50 if it's blocked so the risk-reward should be that if you anti-air you get a combo. Besides, not every character has a reliable d2 so even then it's not an option for every character.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I think it's pretty clear at this point with this and the other thread that the only people who say AA is fine are jumpin spammers who will probably be destroyed at the game once that option isn't guaranteed any more.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I think it's pretty clear at this point with this and the other thread that the only people who say AA is fine are jumpin spammers who will probably be destroyed at the game once that option isn't guaranteed any more.
But who is to say that strictly reacted AA should be guaranteed, especially in this game where so much stuff can happen at jump-in ranges?

Error

DF2+R2
This sounds like a new variation of "return of the footsies" lol.

MasterBelmont

Aspiring competitive MKXL/MVCI player from Oregon
IMO Myth, at least for me. Both the straight and upward versions of Aftershock's Stone Shatter can anti-air (although the straight one is situational), as well as the fact that it has great range and barely any hurtbox for the opponent to trade with. His placement in that list is correct.

Also, I'm not sure if it's an overall game problem when only those seven characters have trouble anti-airing, it's just that they lack what most others have (no offense, though).

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
The characters I use to play had really solid anti airs. Mileena and Sonya. Beyond that, I can't really say, but I always thought Dvorah had a solid d2.