What's new

Discussion Anti-Airs Suck in MKX: Fact or Myth?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Why does nobody bitch about ermacs broken ass crossover jip where he has a hitbox behind him and doesn't have to cross you to hit you
Ironic you complain about this since Ermac's D1 can do the same thing, if not more so actually...

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
With pred and f/t (outside of lackey and warrior), if someone wants to jump in/over you, you really just have to hold that shit. Nothing you can do on reaction, unless you neutral jumped in advance. These characters basically have no d2 and 0 standing jab AA options, and d1/d3 can only beat shitty jump punches like reptile's lol. It's the AA struggle.
Actually d3 can anti air quite some Cross ups, it could be better though. Against jump punches I have literally no idea what to do I tried s1 for some time since it has at least a good horizontal hitbox but usually I get blown up for it. Jump punches like sonya's or kotal's are cancer for F/T

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I try to anti air sub crossup j1 with ferra d3 but it is not consistent. It works if you are already crouching better than if you see the jump, and pres d3 directly from standing. And you have to press it at a specific time, so i wouldn't rely on that to save my life in a clutch moment.

I just got used to backdashing out of there and that's it.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I try to anti air sub crossup j1 with ferra d3 but it is not consistent. It works if you are already crouching better than if you see the jump, and pres d3 directly from standing. And you have to press it at a specific time, so i wouldn't rely on that to save my life in a clutch moment.

I just got used to backdashing out of there and that's it.
Yeah just don't anti air sub with f/t lol

But the main complaint i think, would be all characters having equally good of an AA option/equal chances of landing an AA as the rest of the cast. And i can only agree with that a 100%. I shouldn't even feel lucky for the many great options as for AA's my main (Mileena) has. Even expecting equal chances of hitting an AA when jumping to other chars from time to time. But being reminded time and time again that's not the case. But as for MKX, i have few hopes it'll be fixed. Way too far into the game to change something that big. As for Injustice 2 tho.. i'll cross my fingers and hope NRS takes notice. (Silently still feeling lucky/happy about Mileena's many great AA's ;'P)

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
you guys remember when lasher got buffed so he had disjointed half screen jump ins? Yeah good job NRS make it harder than it already is lol

Personally, at a higher level a lot of anti airs are viable. Then again armor is the best option and that makes it discouraging to have to waste resources or play a dangerous guessing game. But there are jump ins that need toning or make the AA have more priority.

Sonya, sub, Jax (yes he does, not as much as the others), scorpion (j3 since he can full combo you into a vortex), kotal, alien (truly hilarious one), mileena and Ermac (both that have hitboxes that hit behind them), Lasher (honestly they should just remove them from the game. Such a stupid unneeded "buff", Kung Jin (heavy toning since it beats air to airs and can be done instantly to mix), ferra torr ( credit to cooljaxx), and bo rai cho.

That's a lot of characters with silly jump ins. I think that's why people just simplify and say this game has bad anti airs. If all these were slightly toned down, it'd be a different story.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Lmfao Queensbury rules home of footsies

Also people on here cry too much about jump kicks not being able to get anti-aired like that wasn't a thing in MK9.
Jump kicks in MK9 required you to space a deep jump kick to get anything out of them and make them completely unable to be anti aired by most or have an air special that would lead to a combo afterwards, and retreating mobility was just as good as advancing mobility so spacing it wasn't as cut and dry.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Jump kicks in MK9 required you to space a deep jump kick to get anything out of them and make them completely unable to be anti aired by most or have an air special that would lead to a combo afterwards, and retreating mobility was just as good as advancing mobility so spacing it wasn't as cut and dry.
It's the same in MKX though isn't it? You can't combo off a JIK unless you're Scorpion and co who can link into an air special.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's the same in MKX though isn't it? You can't combo off a JIK unless you're Scorpion and co who can link into an air special.
With Reptile, I can j3 and it's pretty likely I can combo, doesn't have to be super deep. Or I can just crossup j4 and combo. And getting to that range isn't as hard, due to run.

The only viable and consistent anti air this game has is armor.

Other than that, it's not consistent and it heavily depends on the character you're trying to anti air.
To some it works every time (like d1 anti air vs johnny), for others it randomly works (ferra d3 vs sub j1).

It's too much of a gamble and it is not consistent. Everyone who says they get it consistent regardless of character are bullshiting. You might get it consistent vs a character with useless jumpins, yes. But as a whole, you can not rely on this when fighting top tiers because you will just get clipped through your attack into 40%.

What this game needs is the injustice patch treatment, universal buff d2s to outprioritize everything from the air.
@Braindead

Braindead

With Reptile, I can j3 and it's pretty likely I can combo, doesn't have to be super deep. Or I can just crossup j4 and combo. And getting to that range isn't as hard, due to run.
I was not aware of that. Very interesting to know.

ESP-_BLACK

best proclaimed hellfire scorpion
also if anyone didn't know sonya s3 beats all the op jumps on cross ups its like it has upper body invul or the hitbox just moving out the way

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
If we compare MKX to games like Street Fighter where characters have like 3 frame Shoryukens and shit? Yeah. Anti-Airs fucking blow, that's a fact. D2 is ~14 frames for most characters and doesn't have nearly as high priority.

It's very possible you will get hit by a jump-in even if you attempt an uppercut.

Braindead

If we compare MKX to games like Street Fighter where characters have like 3 frame Shoryukens and shit? Yeah. Anti-Airs fucking blow, that's a fact. D2 is ~14 frames for most characters and doesn't have nearly as high priority.

It's very possible you will get hit by a jump-in even if you attempt an uppercut.
Only like 3 characters have meter less SRKs in SFV. The rest have only normals that deal barely 3-5% and don't even grant you knockdowns. You could AA successfully 10 times then get hit with the 11th jump and lose the same amount of health you landed with all your AAs. Don't get me started on AAing in SFV.

And I think the median D2 speed in MKX is 8 or 9f. Nowhere near 14.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
The things that baffles me most is that people will consistently say that they want an in depth game that isn't linear in playstyle, then go and say that they want a universal button across the cast to do the same thing. Basically, these people won't be happy until s1 and uppercut beat every jump attack in the game. If you point out anything else that their character has that can be used as an anti air, they just won't care.

MK_Al

Noob
AA are really fine in this game (Alien, Kotal, Sonya, Sub and EB are hard to AA but thats ok imo).

The real difficulty is that you can't expect a jump in and be prepaired just because your opponent is in jump in range for there are a lot of other good options he could go for (run in throw/poke, long ranged normals/specials). And even if you react to him jumping, most chars have a jump in 50/50 (teleport / ball roll / ...) so you have to take a risk. That really sucks.

Addhad

GOD OF EARTHRELM
All chars have a s1/d1 as and their all good it's JUDT a select few have godlike jump ins. Make all jump ins johnnys jump 1 and leather faces jump 1 then we Gucci

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I like to think Bo Rai Cho has good jump ins but can someone go into detail why they think he should be put in the same category as Sonya, Alien, Sub, etc? I never felt that his jump ins were that powerful that I could just ignore the threat of AA to an extent like I could with those characters.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Anti airs are probably about 60/40 but its better than 50/50, so i eat far too many jump ins trying to AA to not blame shit.