What's new

Discussion Anti-Airs Suck in MKX: Fact or Myth?

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Trip guard is the act of defending oneself from landing on an errant sweep or attack as they recover from a jump in.

MKXL has trip guard if you jump without a normal, but you gain extra recovery frames when landing while doing an air normal, just like IGAU. So one could say there is no trip guard in MKXL.

Just clearing it up, since seemingly everyone is confused about the meaning.
You gonna trip guard in a corner? Thanks for playing

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
One thing I will say though, regarding character specific anti-airs, fuck kenjutsu's shoryuken not functioning like one. I genuinely think paulo was trolling with that one

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Tremor has f1, standing 2, f4, ex up punch which is probably the best meter burned anti air in the game.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
I think that issue is more of the Jump in Punches and their pay off on hit or block. Johnny's AA game isn't that bad with S1 or S2 but a lot of times it'll get beat out on crossover due to it being a 9 frame standing normal. By this I mean, some low poke AA's not only hit the opponent but duck the JIP as well. Also, trying to armor with EX Nut Punch can sometimes just give you a duck input so you get hit by the JIP.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
S1 is quite good. I feel like S4 is often too slow. Funny enough, his AA grab hardly ever AA's.
yeah the grab is garbage, that shit needs adjustment or armor one of the two maybe bigger hitbox. hopefully there is not that many haters that we can get this kind of a fix.

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
so what im getting from this is that anti airs are good, but not easy to do and definitely not standard across the board. which has lead to the myth that AA's suck. (that and people just like to complain)

Personally, I think all D2s should be standardized and should AA all blatant, scrubby jump-ins and crossovers. They don't do much damage and for the most part can't combo unless cornered. Jump-in's, in theory, are there to be able to get around defensive or zoning options of your opponent on a good read. They should NOT be a free offense starter in neutral like with many characters currently.

Sure, a lot of characters DO have options for AAing, but when you have a game full of unique air normals with WIDELY varying hitboxes, there should at minimum be a light damage, non-combo starter option and universally good D2s would fill that role.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
IMO his down-normals are pretty decent. d2 works rather well, and low-profiles do a decent job if an opponent tries to be funny with crossups, if nothing else. It's not something absolutely reliable, and I guess some characters can blow this up, but it isn't supposed to be one-way, is it?

Also, Ferra/Torr kind of sucks in this regard IMO.

Personally, I think all D2s should be standardized and should AA all blatant, scrubby jump-ins and crossovers.
It isn't scrubby if it works :p

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
Jason's S1 and B2 are good anti airs and his D2 as well which is correct me if i'm wrong 6f? It's either 6 or 7 but it's really fast and hits right above his head so jump overs are very risky.

Bo Rai Cho is very limited in AAs excluding Ex fart and Ex DB2 in non bartitsu variations and a decent D2. Drunken master's Level 1 and 2 barf is criminally underrated imo it's superrrr good. Dragon breath's DB1 is iffy, it's hitbox is all around the whichever side Bo is facing however I think long jump normals would beat it. Bartitsu's D2 has tons of range but start up is slow so on a read is where it's good.

Also just D2 everything with Liu lol

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
I've explained this, but its in portuguese tho, there are indeed some jump attacks where the rule doesn't apply, because they can hit anyone independent of how earlier or late they're used.
r u Brazilian ? mexican ? American ? or Japanese ?

btw nice video bruh

Meep8345

Noob
Well you can AA most of the jump in's in the game but there's so much stuff to worry about in the neutral that you can miss AA's that in pratice mode would have AA'd. The run mechanic and long range normals is what makes AA's hard plus quite a few characters jumps are just dumb. Run up poke,run up normal,run up grab, run up jump, run up armor,etc you get the point