What's new

Discussion Anti-Airs Suck in MKX: Fact or Myth?

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
His AA game is pretty poopy. F1 can anti air but it needs to be one a read and you need to step back. AA Instant NJPs are decent on a lot of the cast tho, leatherface's is decent I guess but yea, he basically gets jumped in on for free AND his jump in game sucks because his jump is pretty floaty so he gets AA'd for free by characters with even decent AA's (Scorpion S3 for example)
some of the others thought a move was not good cuz 3 characters have godlike jump in's. and to me that is not the case. Aliens JIP2/Kotals JIP1 and bos jip 2 i think have hitboxs that supersede there own . that means theres is out of this discussion, and most characters can aa the rest of cast fine.

and thank you for the info. i believe your knowledge of LF is true.

MadeOfMetal

Oh and for cross ups sometimes chain sparks is decent for that (only sometimes in my experience)
if everyone had Cassies standing 1. the AA game would be godlike. that move is so good of a hitbox, with minimal recovery and nice juggle properties that i feel you can even use it on pure reaction. not so many can use theres on reaction but mostly on reads.

i get blown up most times i try to D1 a jump with Takeda
21 seems to work alot better but its still risky because of how slow it is
and its even riskier against tele characters
yeah when i think of a good AA i think: What move has good Hitbox (hits a large area while my characters hit reagion is far away from character's) does it pop em up good? does it have low recovery so i can follow up? and last but not least is it below 10 frames?

to me thats the requirements of AA's. when its above 10 frames it quickly crosses the realm of Reaction to Read's.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
some of the others thought a move was not good cuz 3 characters have godlike jump in's. and to me that is not the case. Aliens JIP2/Kotals JIP1 and bos jip 2 i think have hitboxs that supersede there own . that means theres is out of this discussion, and most characters can aa the rest of cast fine.

and thank you for the info. i believe your knowledge of LF is true.
Oh! Chain Sparks can also AA but it has to be timed weirdly, that one is a little more effective and I really need to use it more. However if timed incorrectly you can get whiff punished and it feels bad. Our trip guard game is a lot better than our AA game cuz F1.

MadeOfMetal

do you
Oh! Chain Sparks can also AA but it has to be timed weirdly, that one is a little more effective and I really need to use it more. However if timed incorrectly you can get whiff punished and it feels bad. Our trip guard game is a lot better than our AA game cuz F1.
think this game should focus more so on these type of game mechanics, i know i do. like nerfing NJP and JIK and overly OP JIP's. and buff universal AA's. I know Balance patches are needed, like Tone down Game breaking characters, and buff the ones that are in need. but does that fix the issue at hand? does that fix anything? i feel what others are calling "Tier Shifting" is the probelm. people think nerfing the top or buffing the bottom helps.

IMO the game was made to have Pressure, with 50/50's, HTB's and Cancel pressure. but what i think has been failed on is suffecient AA's. to me that one thing missing is what MK has always been about. hell in MK9 you could standing 1 into dash and repeat to corner they where so good. now they are different only because of the Gravity in the altered Engine. I don't think any move is any different in data really when you look at Somberness Frame data of MK9. but the one thing that changed was the Gravity that holds them up there. and how NJP's and JIK's over Ride certain AA options.

To me thats what makes certain matchups very scary, Quan's/Raidens/Johnnys NJP's just over ride. Kotals and Aliens JIP's just override all, and JIK's like scorpions are nopt to be fucked with.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
A lot of jump kicks are specifically used to counter aas for that whatever normal you're lucky enough to be able aaing punches

not to mention crossup situations or air specials aas work sitiationally in general it's stupid.

Ask the self proclaimed antiair god @TopTierHarley how many times he was able to antiair my kano as dvorah mixing up air balls and jump kicks dude literally quit mkx after our set it was the best

Last edited:

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Subs s1 is pretty good but vs the jumpins that matter eg alien sonya etc its not good the best option is ex shatter

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
A lot of jump kicks are specifically used to counter aas for that whatever normal you're lucky enough to be able aaing punches

not to mention crossup situations or air specials aas work sitiationally in general it's stupid.

Ask the self proclaimed antiair god @TopTierHarley how many times he was able to antiair my kano as dvorah mixing up air balls and jump kicks dude literally quit mkx after our set it was the best
So when jabs AA everything in SFV you bitch about them being too strong and any scrub can AA with them.

When AAs don't always work in MKX you think it's stupid.

M'kay Shazzy.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
AAs were fine - the normal JPs were easy to AA. The problem arises from the fact that some jump-ins simply weren't designed with AAs in mind.

shura30

Shura
if everyone had Cassies standing 1.
Cassie's AA game is strong I can tell you that
between 1 (9F) 2(6F) and flip (7F godlike against kicks) one competent player should not allow any jumpin

fact is that every character has at least one godlike AA tool whether it's another standing 1, D1 or NJP or a special
people complain because if there's ONE good AA s1 everyone should have it too without even trying to lab alternatives/own stronger options

MadeOfMetal

Cassie's AA game is strong I can tell you that
between 1 (9F) 2(6F) and flip (7F godlike against kicks) one competent player should not allow any jumpin

fact is that every character has at least one godlike AA tool whether it's another standing 1, D1 or NJP or a special
people complain because if there's ONE good AA s1 everyone should have it too without even trying to lab alternatives/own stronger options
i firmly believe everyone has good AA's they just either don't lab what needs to be labbed or take the time to find what moves have good Hit-box/Recovery/Followup/Speed. and to many focus on 3 characters with obnoxious JIP properties. thus in there mind thiere own character has no AA options which is false.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sub s1 is pretty good unless it's the really retarded ones, d2 is absolutely abysmal, frost bomb is amazing, especially near the corner you can convert into f42 xx clone into F12 knockdown into the usual corner bullshit, but midscreen the reward isn't as good to spend a bar on in most cases imo.

omooba

fear the moobs
i think it's more what are you trying to anti air. the character's that have 'good' anti airs will be trimmed down by a lot of you put them up against the nasty jump in attacks. i think when people say anti airing sucks they really mean jump ins are broke

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Dear God, let's not bring up MK9 anti-airs. You'll wake up the old MK9 Heads and they'll start selling bills about how no one ever jumped, ever for realises and how it was the only game with "REAL FOOTSIES" and blaaaahhhh blaaahhhh