What's new

Angry Joe Review

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I beat the story in about 2 hours not including the breaks I took to go for snack runs. The A.I. is pretty much a push over.
I've noticed that the leap between normal and hard AI is quite significant.
Normal one doesn't even try to do something sensible, with hard you should at least know basics on how to stop pressure and deal damage when possible. Definitely hard for casual players / first timers.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I still don't get why the story is a thing now...I beat the MK9 story again a week before release in like 3 hrs...that story is a random fight generator...it was not very "good" at all and if these weren't characters people knew already you would have learned almost nothing...but it was a new and special thing so people let it pass and raised scores just for it being there now we get the same thing and objectively the same quality and its a negative thing...whatever I enjoyed them both for what they were ...at least its not SC5 bad...

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I can see how microtransactions are annoying. It can (and apparently does) affect other things.

For example, I thought the Krypt was more expensive and the game was a little more stingy with koins than in the past. I didn't know there was an actual extended effort (patch) to make it more of a grind so that people would drop another $20 on their already +$100 game.

I don't blame the devs. Candy Crush makes $8-bazillion a day off of dumb consumers charging extra lives to their credit cards. It'll never stop, no doubt.

But it is annoying knowing that the guys supporting and buying "easy fatalities" or whatever are the reason we have $5-Goro.

I see the point.

Haven't watched the video past the first 10 seconds (at work, will watch later) but going by a lot of comments it seems he's harping on easy fatalities and character balance.

Honestly I'm fine with easy fatalities; the people who would waste their money on easy fatalities didn't deserve that money to begin with.

Presuming any knowledge of character balance 1-2 weeks in is a bigger joke than easy fatalities.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
i wouldnt have minded all these micro transactions at all if fucking NRS didnt make it harder to get koins to unlock shit in the krypt.
i finished story mode with patch on and netted less than 40k... then i heard about the patch thing and said fuck this and uninstalled the patch and deleted my save file.... i netted 75+k in story mode.... now thats bullshit right there.
they purposely did this to sell the 20 dollar unlock all dlc...
after that i said fuck you nrs :p

For what it's worth, I STILL haven't touched story mode, and probably never will. That was the only part of the review I felt he was spot on about.

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
Haven't watched the video past the first 10 seconds (at work, will watch later) but going by a lot of comments it seems he's harping on easy fatalities and character balance.

Honestly I'm fine with easy fatalities; the people who would waste their money on easy fatalities didn't deserve that money to begin with.

Presuming any knowledge of character balance 1-2 weeks in is a bigger joke than easy fatalities.
He only touches upon that in the beginning and it only lasts about three minutes, the rest of the 30 minute review is almost entirely devoted to reviewing the actual game.

He's right about the story. It was too short. What I liked about MK9 is that you fought characters in different stages. But in MKX you fought 3-4 in one stage. Like Sub-zero fought the kids all in one stage, and Kotal fought in one stage. It was boring. Tbh. They should have expanded into different stages. 13 is not enough. The OP of the characters in SM is also spot on. And the fact that they focused on the more boring characters was also detrimental to the story. IMO. But I get it, passing the torch blah blah blah. I just don't think "passing the torch" was a good idea. Oops.

2. The krypt unlock purchase
Again, don't want it? Don't buy it. It's not like there's anything you don't get by doing it yourself, it just takes longer. Get over it.
No, this argument doesn't work, and it never has. I have no problems unlocking everything via the Krypt, I even got to level 50 in every faction to get the Dragon King set which nets me tons of koins after every match. The problem I have is that it's there, and lets lazy people miss out on the amazing Krypt, while giving them something they really didn't earn.

How can you even defend this? I'll bet if a game had DLC that gives you 100 ranked match wins for $20, you'll say the same thing. "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT"

I want to get NRS the benefit of the doubt here, and assume WB was the one that made them implement it.

Killusion

Stream addict
I think really great story mode could elevate many fighting games from niche games to legit AAA titles. Other things are involved in that too, but good story mode (or the lack of it) is the most obvious one.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
It makes me sad when people complain about micro transactions. NRS is a business. They are trying to maximize profit. If a new pay model allows them more profit then why not ? They are not forcing anyone to buy anything. They're just options. And what's the big deal with easy fatalities ? If someone wants them he has the option - great ! I've been playing MK since MK1 so don't tell me what is or is not the way of MK.

KCJ506

Noob
I don't quite understand the complaints about the story being "too short". It's roughly the same length as MK9 and Injustice.

Yeah, I don't mind the existence of easy fatalities all that much.

But oh my god, it is one of the most dumbest things ever conceived and put into a game as DLC since horse armor. NRS didn't need to sell easy fatalities to make money. It was just extra money at the cost of looking stupid. At one point you need to actually put some kind of value on not looking awful.

Goro was on-disc DLC which was pretty scummy.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
How can you even defend this?
Easily. As long as it doesn't affect gameplay and doesn't put people who don't buy that stuff at disadvantage.
And nope, not having cosmetic stuff or having to press 2 more buttons within like 5 seconds is not disadvantage in my book.

I don't quite understand the complaints about the story being "too short". It's roughly the same length as MK9 and Injustice.
Well... There are too much "chapters" that consist of basically a single scene where you beat up several people during what is supposedly a single battle or something. It takes time, but feels pretty uneventful, therefore "shorter".

In some what related news, DLC for Arkham Knight is 40 dollars. We now live in the age of buying two games for one!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/29/opinion-batman-arkham-knights-season-pass-is-absurd
I wouldn't have a problem with that if there was two games worth of content there...

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I must be the only one who thought story mode was far better than mk9. The only characters who didn't get a fair show were erron and f\t. From a story telling perspective, I found it a lot more enjoyable than the way MK9 shit all over two decades of Canon like a drunk guy trying to tell a story.

And then there was some of abominable decision making. The Sindel scene is the clumsiest 'stake raiser' in history, cyber sub zero, shang tsung getting routinely shit upon, goro Baraka reptile smoke sheeva kintaro and ermac getting shit on, the total absence of rain, the fact that they wipe out the back story of kitana and mileena making mileena 5 minutes old thus removing all the depth from her in place of a Harley quinn style crazy hot chick and removing the autonomy and intelligence from kitana (ostensibly your female lead) all so you can have mileena in bandages for a scene or two.....christ mk9 got so much wrong.

Mkx isn't perfect but I'd consider it competent. They at least paid mk4 it's due homage, gave shinnok what he deserved as a boss,redeemed raiden, made mileena an interesting character again and didn't take the cheap ass route of reviving Shao. If we take some of the intros as Canon, they also acknowledge a lot of the 3rd era.

The dark raiden twist was the nest and most logical development of the 3rd era and they brought it back perfectly

As a Canon nut who loves mk lore, MK9 bugged me not because it changed things because some changes were good e.g. Nightwolfs prominence. It bugged me because it replaced some of the best parts of the original Canon (like kitana and mileena) with idiot plots and pointless removal of depth of characters. Mkx isn't perfect but it's as well written a fighting game story as I can imagine with exceptional production values and real attention and love poured into it.