What's new

Angry Joe Review

Aramonde

Noob
I think it was a pretty fair review and i agree with most of what he said.

Now as far as the microtransactions and DLC
easy fatalities dont seem like a big deal to me because we can still do the extremely easy four button code or buy them from the krypt for i think 50 koins which is nothing.

Pre order Goro on the other hand did piss me off. I hate this pre order bullshit we have nowadays. Cutting out parts of the finished game to make you buy before we know if its any good is ridiculous.

do people actually believe this?

devs prob couldn't give a flying fuck about your "faith in their product" if day 1 dlc is what they bring to the table. they just took a popular character and dangled him in consumers face so that people who, like yourself, think nrs generously blessed us with this labor of love from deep within their hearts. instead of, you know, just as easily excluding a character already on the roster to sell back to us. i can't imagine what levels of blind fanboyism would make people on the fence suddenly feel the urge to put real money down just cause of goro.

my faith in a quality product shouldn't be reduced to sketch day 1 dlc. it should be rewarded by having a quality product, like implementing a netcode not worse than a game made a near decade ago.
Fucking this! ^

Its sad how this generation of games are all to happy to bow down these corporations.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
Can you elaborate on that? It's like I missed something...
The post credits scene? I thought it was a great moment, kind of like saying "the timeline has changed but certain things are still destiny".

Personally I turned off the review when, while bitching about story mode not focusing on Lao, Liu and Kitana (it's almost as if it was a conscious choice to move the series forward storywise isn't it Joe?), he complains about the focus given to "this red chick, I don't know who she is". That's Sareena. She's kind of a big deal to story buffs who played Mythologies and the sheer fact that she's in story mode and acknowledged by NRS is my favourite moment in either MK9 or MKX. It made me so happy to know NRS wasn't going to totally brush everything from before 2006 under the rug. Just that small, 5 minute cameo was enough, just to say "we remember". Same as Li Mei.

So when complaining about story mode, he blatantly flaunts his ignorance of the actual lore of MK. Yeah, no, bye bye. Before you complain about something, you should know what you're talking about.

I mean this is a guy who loves MK so much, that despite playing a game centred around the character, complains about Cassie defeating "Shin-oak". Shin-oak. EVERYONE IN THE GAME, FROM ANNOUNCER TO CHARACTERS, PRONOUNCES IT "SHIN-NOK". So if you 'love' MK so much and you paid attention to the game, you'd know how to pronounce the antangonist's goddamn name.

This is like reviewing Game of Thrones and talking about the exploits of Eddy Stork, Daniel Tagrion and Tyrone Landster

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
Ugh. Like I said, I sure did miss something...

Man, I just keep missing stingers. It's like I keep forgetting they are so common these days.
Heheh, oops. Sorry. Well at least you know now!

Yeah Marvel has made them essentially ubiquitous

Aramonde

Noob
I mean this is a guy who loves MK so much, that despite playing a game centred around the character, complains about Cassie defeating "Shin-oak". Shin-oak. EVERYONE IN THE GAME, FROM ANNOUNCER TO CHARACTERS, PRONOUNCES IT "SHIN-NOK". So if you 'love' MK so much and you paid attention to the game, you'd know how to pronounce the antangonist's goddamn name.
Thank you for reminding me! I cant stand how he pronounces Shinnok. ITS SHIN-AWW-K! AWWWWW-K!!! Not Shin-nook! God that buggd the shit out of me.

Raider

Noob
I still don't get why the story is a thing now...I beat the MK9 story again a week before release in like 3 hrs...that story is a random fight generator...it was not very "good" at all and if these weren't characters people knew already you would have learned almost nothing...but it was a new and special thing so people let it pass and raised scores just for it being there now we get the same thing and objectively the same quality and its a negative thing...whatever I enjoyed them both for what they were ...at least its not SC5 bad...
NRS is making it to look like it's big and an important thing to them!
I remember when asked about the Story both Ed and Tyler talking about how amazing and epic it is and how they improved MK9 Story, also they said that Story is as long as MK9, which is NOT true!

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
You don't think how they seriously nerfed koin gain in the official release to make it a huge grind to unlock everything in the krypt to further incentivize the $20 unlock DLC is a reasonable thing to be mad about?
Nah... If anything, it's incentive for people to keep playing the game longer. If you unlock everything possible the first day or week, you no longer have any sense of progression or goals, aside from learning characters and combos.

People like slow progression and feeling accomplished.

Now that I've watched it I can agree with basically all of it (although I've already mentioned easy fatalities are fine for people dumb enough to waste their money on them). The story felt rushed as hell; it was basically "here's the new guard and why you should care about them" and at the end I still didn't care about them. So yeah the story could have been longer, but if it was then there better be an alternate (non-paid) way to unlock "shin nook".

The post credits scene? I thought it was a great moment, kind of like saying "the timeline has changed but certain things are still destiny".

Personally I turned off the review when, while bitching about story mode not focusing on Lao, Liu and Kitana (it's almost as if it was a conscious choice to move the series forward storywise isn't it Joe?), he complains about the focus given to "this red chick, I don't know who she is". That's Sareena. She's kind of a big deal to story buffs who played Mythologies and the sheer fact that she's in story mode and acknowledged by NRS is my favourite moment in either MK9 or MKX. It made me so happy to know NRS wasn't going to totally brush everything from before 2006 under the rug. Just that small, 5 minute cameo was enough, just to say "we remember". Same as Li Mei.

So when complaining about story mode, he blatantly flaunts his ignorance of the actual lore of MK. Yeah, no, bye bye. Before you complain about something, you should know what you're talking about.

This is like reviewing Game of Thrones and talking about the exploits of Eddy Stork, Daniel Tagrion and Tyrone Landster
Tyrone Landster lol. The power scaling argument he used for the story is nonsensical, because anything that includes fighters has wack power scaling, just look at Dragonball Z or Naruto. Then again, the story is still nonsensical in itself, so that entire concept on both critic and creator's side needs work. But yeah, Joe is just that, a casual MK fan. Sure he didn't recognize the characters. Sure he had baseless opinions on the absence of tag-team modes and stuff. But he made good opinions too, like how much worth will the variation system hold for future titles.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
NRS is making it to look like it's big and an important thing to them!
I remember when asked about the Story both Ed and Tyler talking about how amazing and epic it is and how they improved MK9 Story, also they said that Story is as long as MK9, which is NOT true!
God why do people keep insisting nonsense...MK9 story was not great by any standard ...also I beat it in less time then I beat MKX two week s ago...MK9 has @2 hrs of cut scenes...MKX had @2 hrs & 25 mins....what they said was that it was comparable ...seems comparable to me...
I'm sorry people remember things as better then they were ...

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I personally do not care about story mode and etc. in fighting games, but it's ever so obvious a lot of people do. Overall, Joe is right for the most part.

gamesun

Noob
Honestly if the story was more fleshed out it would have been better. Personally I thought MK9 was longer but if it wasn't it simply suggests that it was better written or less cluttered. I liked MKX story but it's was the execution of it all that I felt was hit or missed.

The micro transactions are crap and way below the standard NRS is or was known for. As far as the Goro thing is concerned, I thought that was pretty obvious but then again I preordered the game.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I really just can't understand why anyone would care about the microtransactions.

They do not affect the game play in any way. You're opponent is already defeated for the match, so who the hell cares if you can/can't pull off one without the easy fatals. And seriously, fatalities are easy as shit to do, smh.

I've still got some stuff left in the Krypt to unlock, but I'm REALLY getting annoyed with the animals jumping at you. Sometimes it doesn't happen for 5 minutes, then they pop up every 30 seconds, and it starts to get old. That's really all that bugs me about the game.

Raider

Noob
MK9 Story almost 2 hours

MKX Story 2 hours 18 minutes
So cutscenes make Story now right? Lol

Well MK9 has 16 chapters while MKX has 12 only! Also MKX is MUCH harder on Hard difficulty than MKX is, i died once during the final boss fight of MKX while in MK9 i died like 10-15 times at the end.

It took me half less time to finish Story of MKX than MK9 on the same difficulty, do i need to say anything else?

Saint Op Omen

In some what related news, DLC for Arkham Knight is 40 dollars. We now live in the age of buying two games for one!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/29/opinion-batman-arkham-knights-season-pass-is-absurd
we have for a loooong time ...it's just that it was the casual fans gift from god game so they made tons of $ and got super high scores...but now it is suddenly like everyone woke up from a coma....sorry this is not going to change...it's the price to pay for the base games staying the same price...
for example....

In 2010, Black Ops was a $60 videogame with 4 DLC packs for $15 each.
In 2011, Modern Warfare 3 was a $60 videogame with a $50 Season Pass.
In 2012, Black Ops II was a $60 videogame with a $50 Season Pass.
In 2013, Ghost was a $60 videogame with a $50 Season Pass.
In 2014, Advanced Warfare was a $60 videogame with a $50 Season Pass.
In 2015, Black Ops III is $60 videogame with a $50 Season Pass.

In 2011, Battlefield 3 was a $60 video game with a $50 Season Pass.
In 2013, Battlefield 4 was a $60 video game with a $50 Season Pass.
In 2015, Battlefield Hardline is a $60 video game with a $50 Season Pass.

Saint Op Omen

Well MK9 has 16 chapters while MKX has 12 only! Also MKX is MUCH harder on Hard difficulty than MKX is, i died once during the final boss fight of MKX while in MK9 i died like 10-15 times at the end.

It took me half less time to finish Story of MKX than MK9 on the same difficulty, do i need to say anything else?
yes if fact thats all that does...if the fights are a big deal then well exit the story and fight people....how good you are at a game does not mean something is factually longer or shorter....

Honestly if they did not restrict themselves to having to set up player fights they could tell a better story....
If they released the game with a 2hr movie in it as the story I would like it more really...

Does nobody remember all the complaining on how bad the MK9 story was on here when it came out....how about when we were talking about how we hoped this story would be better then that one like a few weeks ago?...really

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
yes if fact thats all that does...if the fights are a big deal then well exit the story and fight people....how good you are at a game does not mean something is factually longer or shorter....

Honestly if they did not restrict themselves to having to set up player fights they could tell a better story....
If they released the game with a 2hr movie in it as the story I would like it more really...

Does nobody remember all the complaining on how bad the MK9 story was on here when it came out....how about when we were talking about how we hoped this story would be better then that one like a few weeks ago?...really
I thought the MK9 story was a little atrocious, looking back though it's atrocious in a humorous way lol.

MKX is a much, much darker game than MK9 was. They definitely are trying to make a statement of maturity. I don't think the story is that bad, they just put way too much emphasis on the wrong characters IMO.

Saint Op Omen

I thought the MK9 story was a little atrocious, looking back though it's atrocious in a humorous way lol.

MKX is a much, much darker game than MK9 was. They definitely are trying to make a statement of maturity. I don't think the story is that bad, they just put way too much emphasis on the wrong characters IMO.
yeah MK9 was just silly...I liked them both for what they were...everything forever can be better though...
I do think that the comic had something to do with it as it seems to be all the parts so far that people want in the game...that sucks but I get it...
maybe because I read the comic I don't miss the back story on alot of the characters because I know them or know that its something the comic will cover...

esc1

95% of TYM discussion: "It's fine"
I agree with all of Joe's points. Good on him for not going easy on them just because he interviewed Boon. Microtransactions suck. No I don't have to buy them but they clutter the game. They are ads after all and who likes to see ads? I don't want to see characters in my select screen I don't want and don't have. The story was a disappointment. No we didn't need to play all the parents and their offspring too. Shinnok is a joke. And factions are not intuitive or exciting at all. Armor, err I mean Invasion battles are just bad. It feels like half a team put this game together in two years time. That might slide if more was thought out, but it wasn't. Outside of the game sound effects it's all pretty lackluster.

This game simply isn't as good as MK9 to me. I played MK9 almost daily for a year. I can't bring myself to play MKX over Titanfall I just picked up for $8 bones. Being a next gen title, I expect them to bring more to the table than variations.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast

What do you think makes a story?
BTW AI difficulty doesn't count as a longer story, just saying, because withing that logic the story will be longer or shorter depending on AI difficulty and player competency.