What's new

Angry Joe Review

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
3 complaints from the first 3 minutes.

1. Complaining about the easy fatality purchase option because it's "annoying".
This argument could not be more stupid. There is no reason to be annoyed by this. It is not something you have to buy at all, it is just something there for the casuals who cannot do fatalities if they want them. There really is nothing wrong with this at all, and I can't believe the amount of people agreeing with this point.

2. The krypt unlock purchase
Again, don't want it? Don't buy it. It's not like there's anything you don't get by doing it yourself, it just takes longer. Get over it.

3. Goro is on the disk
"Ermagerrrrd Goro's on the disk? But I bought this disk, I should have him!" NO! It was made very clear from the beginning, he was an incentive for people to pre order. People who have faith in NRS should be rewarded and they were. People who didn't show their faith with a pre order should not get the exact same product as people who did. If you can't get your head around that concept, you probably have too much of a sense of entitlement.

Don't think I can be bothered to watch the rest.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The only part when I facepalmed super hard is when he got upset about the story characters. They obviously aren't finished yet. They have mk9 movesets but don't have any variations. Probably no fatalities or even xrays. Tanya was using Kitana's stance and only had like 2 or 3 special moves.
you should face palm at this comment.
Game released with unfinished products.

Rajhkeem Beck

Mr. Still Getting it Together
3 complaints from the first 3 minutes.

1. Complaining about the easy fatality purchase option because it's "annoying".
This argument could not be more stupid. There is no reason to be annoyed by this. It is not something you have to buy at all, it is just something there for the casuals who cannot do fatalities if they want them. There really is nothing wrong with this at all, and I can't believe the amount of people agreeing with this point.

2. The krypt unlock purchase
Again, don't want it? Don't buy it. It's not like there's anything you don't get by doing it yourself, it just takes longer. Get over it.

3. Goro is on the disk
"Ermagerrrrd Goro's on the disk? But I bought this disk, I should have him!" NO! It was made very clear from the beginning, he was an incentive for people to pre order. People who have faith in NRS should be rewarded and they were. People who didn't show their faith with a pre order should not get the exact same product as people who did. If you can't get your head around that concept, you probably have too much of a sense of entitlement.

Don't think I can be bothered to watch the rest.
Lol. I understand. Its sad cuz the rest of the review pretty much addresses the actual issues. Joe is just anti-dlc altogether so that didn't surprise me.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Yeah I like Joe and all but he tends to speak in absolutes without any actual facts...and his anti dlc shit is getting old... getting old in general... The more popular gaming is the more it will find ways to make money ...find a cheaper hobby if this bothers you...gaming is and was never a hobby for those without a disposable income...
I have no problem with anyone charging for things I don't want or care about...and if I want it I have the $ for it ...what is "worth it" is objective and if the price matters is also objective...I give a fuck about $10 here and there...I give that to people on the street...

Also his variations deal is sadly misinformed on what the difference between developing a characters as apposed to a variation takes...

Rajhkeem Beck

Mr. Still Getting it Together
Yeah I actually like Joe and felt sorry for him with the whole Nintendo thing, just hate when people complain about things that aren't actually issues in any way
Hey man, different things are different issues to different people I guess. Personally I don't have that much of a problem with them. However, from Joe's perspective, he's seen how these actions with companies can go off the rails like with Evolve and Destiny. I think as a legitimate fan of the series, he held the bar a little high that Netherrealm wouldn't go down that path because they were successful without it. My only worry is if it creeps up in later games and actually DOES eventually have a big impact on the game.

Shipetopic

50/50 is the best town to live in !
My opinion on easy fatality:
I really don't care if they make extra money off of noobs who can't perform fatalities, but this is kinda downgrade fatality itself.
Historically, fatality was established like something hard .
That part bugs me a little.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
I can agree with most of his points.
Though the Microtransactions are optional.
But he is right regarding the koin "nerf" so to speak.
It was somewhat of a shady tactic by NRS to reduce the koins in the game making some people feel forced to buy the Krypt unlocker.

Other than that, I feel he is pretty much spot on on the other issues, though some (like the story) are a matter of opinion.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Hey man, different things are different issues to different people I guess. Personally I don't have that much of a problem with them. However, from Joe's perspective, he's seen how these actions with companies can go off the rails like with Evolve and Destiny. I think as a legitimate fan of the series, he held the bar a little high that Netherrealm wouldn't go down that path because they were successful without it. My only worry is if it creeps up in later games and actually DOES eventually have a big impact on the game.
I have no problem with empathising with people and seeing things from their perspective. He has no reason to be annoyed by this. He can play the game and avoid them and he would not be affected. It's not like NRS are selling people armour to use in the fights.

If he had thought about it for more than two minutes and not just reported a knee jerk reaction, he'd have realised that there really is nothing to be pissed off about with those 3 issues.

I have no problem with empathising with people and seeing things from their perspective. He has no reason to be annoyed by this. He can play the game and avoid them and he would not be affected. It's not like NRS are selling people armour to use in the fights.

If he had thought about it for more than two minutes and not just reported a knee jerk reaction, he'd have realised that there really is nothing to be pissed off about with those 3 issues.
You don't think how they seriously nerfed koin gain in the official release to make it a huge grind to unlock everything in the krypt to further incentivize the $20 unlock DLC is a reasonable thing to be mad about?

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
You don't think how they seriously nerfed koin gain in the official release to make it a huge grind to unlock everything in the krypt to further incentivize the $20 unlock DLC is a reasonable thing to be mad about?
That is actually one which I wouldn't be pissed off at someone for complaining about that. But, before knowing that, have people been complaining that earning coins has been unreasonably slow? If not, then again it's not an issue.

Tim Static

Adminerator
And to be fair (aside from the netcode), NRS has listened to us and catered to us in many ways. Shit, if the ONLY people they cared about were casuals, we would have entire combos being executed with one button and more fatalities per character than special moves.

MKX requires high execution in most cases. That shit is in there for us. When I do a 40% or so meterless midscreen combo on a buddy of mine they always tell me "that shit is cheap" and "no I don't care to learn it because it's gay and I'll never be able to do it". If there was an easy way to do those combos, you can be damned sure that's what they'd be doing.

I am thankful they haven't completely gone off the rails as far as catering to the masses goes. If they stick to just offering quick unlocks and easy fatalities as micro-transactions, I see zero issue with that. As it stands now (again, aside from the horrific online) casuals and serious players are both enjoying the game immensely.
Quoted for truth.

Sadly. :(

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Oh god he asks for easy brutalities
That is actually one which I wouldn't be pissed off at someone for complaining about that. But, before knowing that, have people been complaining that earning coins has been unreasonably slow? If not, then again it's not an issue.
From what I understand the reviewers and such had copies that got them stuff faster for review reasons and this is common practice often having thing unlocked in advance even...I do not know if it was changed with the patch or if it was something else but thats what was said on one post in reddit that was never researched much further...

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I like Joe's reviews and he usually does a good job of mentioning the bs politics with games without it actually effecting the game's score. I disagree with the story mode length. I replayed MK9 story 2 months ago and it only took about 3 hours while MKx took me about 4 and half hours. Also the quick time events where absolutely pointless.
I liked his review overall and it's good to see an opinion of a hardcore gamer who isn't a hardcore fighting game player.
With that said you can tell he really didn't understand the real point of variations being used which is that they're a soft counter to bad match ups.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
It was made very clear from the beginning, he was an incentive for people to pre order. People who have faith in NRS should be rewarded and they were. People who didn't show their faith with a pre order should not get the exact same product as people who did. If you can't get your head around that concept, you probably have too much of a sense of entitlement.
do people actually believe this?

devs prob couldn't give a flying fuck about your "faith in their product" if day 1 dlc is what they bring to the table. they just took a popular character and dangled him in consumers face so that people who, like yourself, think nrs generously blessed us with this labor of love from deep within their hearts. instead of, you know, just as easily excluding a character already on the roster to sell back to us. i can't imagine what levels of blind fanboyism would make people on the fence suddenly feel the urge to put real money down just cause of goro.

my faith in a quality product shouldn't be reduced to sketch day 1 dlc. it should be rewarded by having a quality product, like implementing a netcode not worse than a game made a near decade ago.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I agree with most of the vid except for the microtransaction part. Though they shouldn't do it to characters, in my opinion characters are the one thing that should be readily available to game owners. More skins and even individual pieces of clothing (Goro in a fedora anybody?) could be more fun and more towards the general populace's likes.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
I don't even like Angry Joe and I agree with him on most of the things in the video especially the half-assed story.

Last edited:

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I hate how the micro-transactions totally ruined the game play.
Uhhh, what? In what way has the gameplay been ruined? I'm so confused here, how does allowing people to pay to get easier fatalities and krypt unlocks affecting your gameplay experience? This makes absolutely no sense to me, it's an out of game OPTIONAL perk to shortcut the grind and hassle casual gamers might experience, nothing else.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
easy fatality microtransactions only catered for the lazy gamers, not even casuals, just plain lazy, there are fatality practice go for it. it's not even a crazy 360/720 degrees stuff it's quite simple. that's the only thing that I don't get, why people riled about it?
as for the krypt microtransactions, totally can get behind that, grinding is not for everyone, it's quite interesting how gamers have evolve into pay for win kinda thing, back in those days of deadly alliance or deception, grinding is the only options and it motivate us to play more.
But I guess each person to their own. NRS just giving options on how you do the unlockables, it's not game breaking at all.