What's new

Guide "And deadly as the dawn" - Smoke Living Combos Thread

I like 214~smoke away in the corner... lets you jump in with either an apple kick (and potentially d1 bomb if you hit low enough/they jump), or if they respect that you get a djk into 214 for about 5% chip and half a bar of meter, and you're left at 0 where you essentially have them trapped into either getting d1 AA'd, getting their move stuffed by d3 which puts you at +3 and lets you continue pressure, or trying to crouch block either of those and eating a b2. Obviously grabs too. Once you've really got them conditioned you can try armor baiting. If it's a character with some sort of godlike AA, you can make a read and risk a telepunch, which will give you a corner combo into reset as well... the possibilities are endless

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Stuff/gimmicks:

1. [1 3] is a pretty good AA follow up (similarly to Cage's 1 3). You can't deny the amount of swag felt when you use 2 > 1 3~SB > 3 D1 2 > B1 4~Smoke Towards. "Yeah, I just used both of Smoke's 'useless' strings in one combo, asshole!" Furthermore, this combo is unique because, normally, B1 4 leaves you on top of your opponent, and you can dash forward to appear behind him. Here, it may be the other way around: B1 4 leads you behind the opponent, and you can dash forward to appear in front.

2. Speaking of AA follow ups, I am utterly disgusted by the usage of 2, 2, D1~SB. Or 2, D1, D1~SB. Or whatever. I demand you all learn to follow up 2 with just one D1~Smoke Bomb. You get significantly more non-glitch reset options, such as [3 2], [3 D1 2], [21~SB] for 29% damage. Or set-ups like 2 > D1~SB > 3 D1 2 > NJP. This allows you to use two shake cancels for meter building (be wary of long distance wake-ups, and make use of the stance change for a quicker opportunity to block after your final cancel). Alternatively, you can use one shake cancel, and instantly teleport next to them.

3. You can end a corner combo with an NJP for an (EX) Invisibility set-up. Unlike other set-ups like this, you have time to move away before a wake-up or whatever, but you'll be very close to your opponent, and invisible. Big chance they will panic and either jump or try to poke you out of invisibility, which you can whiff punish.

4. When you follow up a Smoke Bomb combo with an NJP (i.e. SB > NJP~Whiffed teleport, or B2~SB > NJP~Whiffed teleport, or 2 1~SB > NJP~whiffed teleport, etc), you can use 3 2 > 3 D1 2 > 2 1~Smoke Towards as a follow up. Common sense. However, normally 2 1~Smoke Towards always leads you behind your opponent. In this case, you can mash back to appear in front of them instead. Tricky. Of course, rolling makes this trick irrelevant.

5. When you F4 reset an opponent near a corner, you can follow up with a single 3 2. This puts the opponent at an optimal position for you to do another F4 reset, and does 8% more than if you followed your initial F4 reset with yet another F4 reset. So basically: 3 D1 2 > 3 2 > 3 2 > SB > F4 Reset > (they're in the corner now) > 3 2 > F4~Reset > 3 2 > 3 2 > 3 2 > 2 1 4. Easy 102% damage.

6. I only ever see Wafflez use B2 3 ~SB > Whiffed Teleport to change positioning. This requires practice and is impossible to do online, but it's sick and may put your opponent in the perfect position to do a mid-screen F4 Reset, which you can follow-up with another whiffed teleport for 2x the swag (and reset).

The majority of this stuff cannot be done online.

I made a for funsies 46% corner combo meterless with Smoke. Pretty much comes off of my idea a while ago of two f4's in 1 corner combo for double the chance at resets, but modified for max meterless damage.

I feel like such a scrub wording it like that. Not like smoke combos are hard or anything.

jip~3d12, njp, 32 (backdash) f4~sb, 3d12, 214~ender

Sorry for the Parkinsons cam. Youtube is still processing the video and it should be fixed by morning.

hamutokuma

小さなウサギ
i just found today by messing with practice mode a combo not listed here.it goes like this.
jip 3d12 dash f4 into ex smoke bomb and from here there are alot of options.damage ranges from40% up.

i just found today by messing with practice mode a combo not listed here.it goes like this.
jip 3d12 dash f4 into ex smoke bomb and from here there are alot of options.damage ranges from40% up.
It's not listed because Smoke gets the same damage without using any meter... better to save it for resets.

Defenestrator

I do windows
I do not know if anyone had posted this but you can do an uppercut reset combo on a standing (not in the air) opponent in the corner:

D2, D1~sb, step back,F4 Ehsb,(reset) 32,32,32, 214 or other ender

You do the D1~sb when the opponent falls to about Smoke's shoulder level; the F4 when the fall to his leg level when he kicks in the F4.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
I do not know if anyone had posted this but you can do an uppercut reset combo on a standing (not in the air) opponent in the corner:

D2, D1~sb, step back,F4 Ehsb,(reset) 32,32,32, 214 or other ender

You do the D1~sb when the opponent falls to about Smoke's shoulder level; the F4 when the fall to his leg level when he kicks in the F4.
Not sure if it's been posted either, but it's known.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated copy of Tapatalk

Yep check the OP under the uppercut section, that should be in there minus the actual reset. All the combos I wrote in there are pretty open-ended for resets to be attached to the end.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Couldn't find this one in the OP

Corner:

jip 3d12 NJP 3d12 b14~SB f4~ex SB

You can repeat the f4~ex SB for as much meter as you have for a 100% reset without having to dash back to hit the f4's.

Couldn't find this one in the OP

Corner:

jip 3d12 NJP 3d12 b14~SB f4~ex SB

You can repeat the f4~ex SB for as much meter as you have for a 100% reset without having to dash back to hit the f4's.

Why do this over 3d12 njp 32 32 32 21sb f4 reset?

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Shorter combo that does the same (if not more) damage giving your opponent less opportunity to break. Plus nobody does it - it can throw some people off...oh and it looks cool.

....mostly cuz it looks cool.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Uppercut, d1~Smoke bomb > 32, 32 plus eventual reset....maybe its my proximity to character, or stage dependant ? I was in shang's throne room....
If you start with uppercut in the corner it will not launch them towards mid screen. You should be able to d1 a few times before converting to SB, just play with the timing until you get it right where you know when the uppercut's recovery has ended.

Starting a combo with uppercut should NEVER throw somebody out of the corner as Smoke. Not sure why you're experiencing that. Just double checking you're not doing anything before the uppercut right? You're starting the combo with it?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
yea man, Im starting with d2 standing, they aren't in a juggle or anything ....I exited the game, and restarted, and now it's fine, I can reset after and everything....weird.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
It starts with you both grounded. If you uppercut them during a juggle while they're in the air they will bounce out.
Jip, 3d12 NJP 32 uppercut d1~SB f4 ex SB.

Swag. Credit goes to TWISTED_OZZY.

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
some of my favorite mid screen combos to do with smoke that I haven't seen anyone else do are:

3d12, njp, 11, d1~smokebomb, then you can do f4 reset or 32 then f4/21 ender

3d12, 32, 13~smokebomb them whatever ender. the timing is really easy and it looks pretty cool. you can also do 11~smokebomb to replace the 13 but the timing is a bit more strict.

3d12, 214~smokebomb, 3d12, f4reset or 21~smoketowards is cool but tricky.
you can also do 3d12, njp~whiff teleportpunch, 214~smokebomb is also possible

I was trying to find a combo that involved b2 smokebomb because I think it looks cool :p I don't know what everyone elyse uses but to me, the most consistent combo I found was:

3d12, 3d12, 32, b2 ~smokebomb. I've tried many different combinations and this is the most consistent one for me