What's new

Guide "And deadly as the dawn" - Smoke Living Combos Thread

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
B14~Smoke Towards is the best no-meter Smoke ender assuming you want to play a mind game.

Reason being is after a combo (one that is long and over 10 hits) B14~Smoke Towards done at the top of it's hit-box (easiest after a smoke ball) leaves you standing inside of your opponent. From here you have 2 options:

Dash forward and pressure, effectively crossing up your opponent and flipping their direction of inputs (standing there also pushes you through them making you flip their inputs)

Dash backwards, for when they understand they must flip their wake-up.

If the opponent tries to wake up and they guess wrong chances are you will get a full combo. It forces your opponent to block because the advantage is always in your favour. You either get pressure/throw/combo while he gets a wake-up that may be blocked. (and the majority of the wake-ups will only do upwards of like 10%)

This should be the ideal new ender off a sb as unlike 21/214 the direction you appear on is up to you, there is no set scenario for deciding which side you want to appear on.

Everyone knows that 21~Smoke towards leaves you behind and 214~smoke towards leaves you in front. They can read and react accordingly with relative ease. Removing this option, and making this a true 50/50 guessing game is far more ideal.

Not only that, but in certain combo's B14 does more damage. You may also opt to do B14~teleport although there is no real point as you are just making things easier for your opponent, while building a tiny extra fraction of a bar.

This is one of the reasons why i was so insistant on B14 not being useless lmao. It provides his only non-situational mix-up. Every other one has set places you land in, this is changeable at any time.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I noticed you doing this at toryuken, awesome stuff man!
I had been working on 4 smoke towards combo ender to do just this but i think your way sounds much better.
I'll have to work on stealing this when i get home later.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
B14~Smoke Towards is the best no-meter Smoke ender assuming you want to play a mind game.

Reason being is after a combo (one that is long and over 10 hits) B14~Smoke Towards done at the top of it's hit-box (easiest after a smoke ball) leaves you standing inside of your opponent. From here you have 2 options:

Dash forward and pressure, effectively crossing up your opponent and flipping their direction of inputs (standing there also pushes you through them making you flip their inputs)

Dash backwards, for when they understand they must flip their wake-up.

If the opponent tries to wake up and they guess wrong chances are you will get a full combo. It forces your opponent to block because the advantage is always in your favour. You either get pressure/throw/combo while he gets a wake-up that may be blocked. (and the majority of the wake-ups will only do upwards of like 10%)

This should be the ideal new ender off a sb as unlike 21/214 the direction you appear on is up to you, there is no set scenario for deciding which side you want to appear on.

Everyone knows that 21~Smoke towards leaves you behind and 214~smoke towards leaves you in front. They can read and react accordingly with relative ease. Removing this option, and making this a true 50/50 guessing game is far more ideal.

Not only that, but in certain combo's B14 does more damage. You may also opt to do B14~teleport although there is no real point as you are just making things easier for your opponent, while building a tiny extra fraction of a bar.

This is one of the reasons why i was so insistant on B14 not being useless lmao. It provides his only non-situational mix-up. Every other one has set places you land in, this is changeable at any time.
Had no idea. I've been doing something similar with Freddy.

Sounds cool.

I still think it's fucking useless in the neutral game though. I will forever hold that b14 shake cancels are retarded outside of a random shenanigan. -_-

There's definitely some situations where b14 is too slow but you've convinced me that it's a viable ender... can't wait to try it out at ufgt

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
I understand lol! The shake cancels are a tad bit gimmicky but they do work at times, i feel you :p

The ender however is 100% viable from what I've seen and tested so far.

I do it off of:

Jip, 3D12, 3D12, 3D12, D4~SB, B14~Smoke Towards, Forward Dash / Back Dash

Some smaller combo's like say:

B2, SB, B14~Smoke Towards

will not work due to the gravity scaling.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
saying something is the "best" when all you have with Smoke is mind fuckery isn't really the best approach.

Yea it's good but you have to use all of his enders randomly to really take full advantage of them.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Combos i was using to get resets pretty much every time on saturday:

3d12 3d12 3d12 d4 sb f4 ex sb

3d12 njp 32 32 32 21 sb f4 ex sb

21sb njp 3d12 32 f4 ex sb

b23 3d12 f4 ex sb

Also, basically a rule of thumb i was following ( Temjiin and Thead know) if you catch an anti air or jump out with a d1, you want to scale the gravity as much as you can before you smoke bomb them.

So just doing d1, d1, d1, d1 ,d1xxSB in the corner to foil a jump out attempt works wonders, maybe only like 20% after f4~ex sb, but it resets very consistantly due to the extra scaling, then you get it up to 40-50% for 1 bar after the resetting, and thats from a d1 anti air.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Got a quick question guys, can't see a general discussion there so I thought I'd post it here. I was wondering if, after enough scaling, you could also use b2, 3 ex sb to reset. I was mucking around in practice mode and since I'm not too sure what I should be seeing to justify the reset, I'm not sure if it is legit or not. Sometimes when I do the standard reset the PC get's caught by the ex sb, and sometimes it doesn't. Does the dummy get caught in the reset reliably or does it not tell me anything?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Got a quick question guys, can't see a general discussion there so I thought I'd post it here. I was wondering if, after enough scaling, you could also use b2, 3 ex sb to reset. I was mucking around in practice mode and since I'm not too sure what I should be seeing to justify the reset, I'm not sure if it is legit or not. Sometimes when I do the standard reset the PC get's caught by the ex sb, and sometimes it doesn't. Does the dummy get caught in the reset reliably or does it not tell me anything?
Set auto block on and techroll on. The reset can not be unblockable unless you do it from a F4. Theres a question and answers thread, aswell as a thread dedicated to information on the reset, check them out.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Set auto block on and techroll on. The reset can not be unblockable unless you do it from a F4. Theres a question and answers thread, aswell as a thread dedicated to information on the reset, check them out.
Cheers man. I saw the auto block/tech roll thing in the other thread, just thought it was odd that sometimes the dummy would get caught and sometimes it wouldn't. I must say the reset is hella fun to use :D

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Cheers man. I saw the auto block/tech roll thing in the other thread, just thought it was odd that sometimes the dummy would get caught and sometimes it wouldn't. I must say the reset is hella fun to use :D
your b2,3 reset likely only works if the opponent doesnt hold block, the reset will always be from f4~EX smokebomb, check out tony T or maxters videos

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Any good block strings were you can use invisibility? Just tryin smoke out & wondered did he have any 'reptile like block strings' ie, 321 invisi?

Cheers.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Any good block strings were you can use invisibility? Just tryin smoke out & wondered did he have any 'reptile like block strings' ie, 321 invisi?

Cheers.
finish combos with f4 invis or 214 invis, or you can usually stick it inbetween smoke bombs when you are chuckin'.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
xSMoKEx what are your bnb's for ending with b14? I've been trying to incorporate b14 into mine it doesn't seem to fit. mine are:

b23 > SB > 32 > 3d12 (ender)
3d12 > NJP > b23 > SB > 3d12 (ender)
3d12 > NJP (teleport) > 3d12 > 4 > SB > ender

also, a cute thing I found is that if you let them drop out of a smoke bomb as a combo ender, you can dash block once then full dash crossing under them, then as soon as they hit the ground smoke drift backwards. If they tech roll, they will roll towards the side you WERE on and you will cross them AGAIN as they're rolling putting you back on the side you started on.

step 1: smoke drift
step 2: ???
step 3: combo

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
KT Smith I use this:

3D12, 3D12, 3D12, D4 / B2~SB, B14~Smoke Towards

It does decent damage. It works if you add in the NJP but i just can't get into that combo lol.

KT Smith

Honestly any combo that has a late smoke bomb lets you end in b14 easily, I never do it off of anything besides what xsmokex just said.

xSMoKEx are there any good uses for it in the corner that you know of? I haven't been playing at all since UFGT save an offline session with ribbz, so I really have no idea.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
RiBBz22 I do D4/B2 because i just personally like them. B2 also does more damage than 21 (the additional like 1% depending on the combo, but still...) and i just personally use D4 because that's how i have always done the combo, it's just preference really.

Do whatever you like best.

FrothyOmen there is that Smoke Screen trap thing. Also, 21~Smoke Towards is a little tricky. 21~Smoke Towards leaves you infront in the corner but if you dash it will bring you behind them. If this doesn't work then it's 214 and not 21.

I don't use it too much personally, but i'm sure it has it's uses.

I'm sure this is known, but I suppose I'll just reiterate here. Smoke's triple 3d12 > b2/d4 ~bomb combo can have an njp inserted between the first and second 3d12. You just have to dashblock twice after the njp. Combo looks like this

jip, 3d12, njp ff blk ff blk 3d12 > 3d12, b2~smoke bomb > whatever. Does over 40%, i think a b14 after the smoke bomb is 42% but I don't remember because I was too busy practicing resets -_-

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Found a trip out peice of tech in the corner. Highly gimmicky lul.

Basically [Corner BnB here]~SB, NJP~Teleport, Smoke Towards. Now, depending on how you time the NJP, your position will vary. The animation is always Smoke disappearing and moving towards the corner, but if you have the right timing he can remain on the left. Once the opponent is aware of this you can actually time it to make Smoke go into the corner (Not suggested obviously) This is not big at all but it's another one of those 100 or so combo-ender mix-ups that should stay at the back of your mind lol.

And finally this one was found by Gamer, and i figured out how to counter the escape route, and am posting it lol.

[Corner BnB Here]~SB, F4~Smoke Away. F4 has the most knockdown advantage off of Smoke's strings / normals, and it is also one of his most advantageous on cancel. Applying this with a Smoke Away to build distance, and the immense frame advantage he has we can create a nice deep jump kick set up. The opponent can escape via armor and NJP, certain wake ups and possibly a well timed D4. (Haven't tested the D4 yet tbh) If they go for a jump of any sort you air teleport to knockthem out of the air, and since they're in the corner you can D1~SB into another combo. You can also air teleport to avoid certain armour attacks and wake ups and potentially whiff punish. (I.e. Liu Kang's flying kick)

I think you can see where this is going, there's some risk involved but you could potentially get another combo or free corner block pressure which is sweet