What's new

An unpopular opinion.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
You guys make me feel like I'm the only person who didn't buy any outside guest characters in any NRS games lol. Fuck Horror Movie icons, and scorpion and subzero. I love them in their own realms but I didn't want them in MKX therefore I didn't buy them. Sometimes we forget that we're still costumers too. Speak with your wallet even if it won't make a difference in the long run..
Very, very wise words. In fact, I hope everyone that feels disappointed by guest characters, reads these words, takes them to heart and put them into practice.

Absolutely!

If you don't like something, don't pay for it. It may still sell well, but even if it does, you haven't spent your money on something you don't like or agree with. If it doesn't sell well, the company will try something else, and maybe that means a direction that you DO like. This is the way to handle the matter. The venting online may be good for you at first, but ultimately it doesn't do anything.

At my old age, I've had to walk away from a lot of things I loved as a kid. Marvel comics, Superhero comics in general and then Street Fighter, most recently. In each case, the Powers That Be (see: Editors, Developers and publishers) went in a direction that I just couldn't follow. At some point, I had to give them up and realize, that my purchasing power was the only power I had. I couldn't make them do anything or change anything, but I didn't have to reward them for what they were doing either. For some people, skipping the DLC they don't want is the right answer. Other people just need to skip the game entirely, and I say "Do what you gotta do".

In the grand scheme of things we all love NRS and the games they make. But at the same time it's okay to not like something that the masses do. As much as I dislike MK guest characters in the game I'm still going to drop $100 for that Ultimate edition this time around because I love D.C. That much. MK wasn't worth it to me.
You know, it's funny. I'm buying the Ultimate Edition as well, but it's for a completely different reason. I want to play IJ2 seriously, and learn skills that I can apply to other fighting games. Buying the DLC is a requirement, because I have to lab and learn how to fight against (and possibly play) those characters. They could add Spawn or Beast Boy, or Bucky O'Hare... it wouldn't matter.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer it if they added some cool and obscure DC characters, and I have a long list myself (including 'V for Vendetta'), but I'm a casual DC fan, that got interested in the DCEU and animated movies because of Injustice and not the other way around. Plus, I realize it's a business and businesses need to make money to continue to do business.

The real bummer isn't "Sub-Zero is in my Injustice", the real bummer is "There will be no more Injustice games". No one wants that to happen, but it INJ2 doesn't sell and the DLC tanks, there's no reason to continue making them. So I say, let them do whatever works.

I never understood the logic of those who say the MK characters are a "waste of a slot" in the roster. For it to be a waste the character would have to be put in the game in the place of someone who could not be added because of them. And for that to be the case, there would have to be a definite number of characters allowed in each title. So my first question is, how many characters will the Fighting Game Commission allow in a single game? Secondly, if these MK characters are a waste, how much of a waste are they really? Thirty fighters in IGAU, one MK character. At least 38 fighters in I2, one (confirmed) MK character. At the moment, that's 2 out of 68 across both titles. Two out of sixty-fucking-eight!!! I've got five words for you pathetic, overzealous DC fanboys: Get the fuck outta here!

Last edited:

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I'm also buying the ultimate edition this time because I definitely 100% plan on competing in I2. And there's no way to know all the MU's if you don't have the characters or play online practice with a friend who does.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I never understood the logic of those who say the MK characters are a "waste of a slot" in the roster. For it to be a waste the character would have to be put in the game in the place of someone who could not be added because of them. And for that to be the case, there would have to be a definite number of characters allowed in each title. So my first question is, how many characters will the Fighting Game Commission allow in a single game? Secondly, if these MK characters are a waste, how much of a waste are they really? Thirty fighters in IGAU, one MK character. At least 38 fighters in I2, one (confirmed) MK character. At the moment, that's 2 out of 68 across both titles. Two out of sixty-fucking-eight!!! I've got five words for you pathetic, overzealous DC fanboys: Get the fuck outta here!
Yeah maybe you're right. Never looked at it like this. I guess I view it form the aspect of... for every MK fighter there's one less D.C. Fighter.

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
It's not like there's a hard and fast limit to how many characters can be in a fighting game, but obviously an infinite number of characters can't be added to one. Thats why it sucks when guest characters are put in over characters such as Doomsday, MM, Beast Boy, Sinestro. Those are the characters that actually belong in game, they have ties to most every other character, both in-game and because of the rest of DC universe itself. Guest characters don't, and they often feel shoved in for the sales (which they usually are), which is just shitty when you know a character who actually belongs gets left out because of that.

Silver_Shadow

Crazy Mexican
Basically A highly requested dlc character and one of DCS most popular females of all time.
Lobo is a super obscure character in DC lore and I think you're confusing Batgirl for Wonder Woman, Supergirl or Catwoman.

Fun Fact: Batgirl didn't get a solo comic until the early 2000's and even then the one who got it was Casssandra Cain(not Babara) and she still holds the record for longest running Batgirl series :p

Lobo is a super obscure character in DC lore and I think you're confusing Batgirl for Wonder Woman, Supergirl or Catwoman.

Fun Fact: Batgirl didn't get a solo comic until the early 2000's and even then the one who got it was Casssandra Cain(not Babara) and she still holds the record for longest running Batgirl series :p
Being obscure doesn't mean he wasn't highly requested (which he was) and people were happy to have him. As for the Babs thing ummmm, so? There have been plenty of characters that absolutely no one knows who have carried titles for long time. Still doesn't change the fact that people know and love Barbara Gordon. Cass better hold on tight to that series because it's not like DC cared to do include her in anything outside of the comics or have be a part of anything that doesn't Involve Bruce.

Wonder_Brat17

Who will I be if I stay?
Being obscure doesn't mean he wasn't highly requested (which he was) and people were happy to have him. As for the Babs thing ummmm, so? There have been plenty of characters that absolutely no one knows who have carried titles for long time. Still doesn't change the fact that people know and love Barbara Gordon. Cass better hold on tight to that series because it's not like DC cared to do include her in anything outside of the comics or have be a part of anything that doesn't Involve Bruce.
Still obscure so what's your point?

Mulder

King of Heroes
Scorpion didn't sell anywhere near the most, and the ((Publically available)) Playstation and Xbox sales records that are online prove this. Just putting that out there

Still obscure so what's your point?
That he obviously wasn't obscure enough for people to not ask for him in the game so acting like the fact that Scorpion outsold him is a bit more significan't than people like to delude themselves into thinking.

I get what people are feeling. I didn't want Scorpion in the game and I don't want Sub Zero now but pretending like nobody wants/will buy him is just stupid and immature.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Recently I've seen a few threads discussing Sub-Zero and (possibly) Raiden's inclusion in Injustice 2 DLC. And I wanted to throw my hat in the ring. While I agree with DC loyals that this game should have DC characters mainly. Injustice 2 is a fighting game, that Netherrealm, and (Mainly) Warner Bro's wants to reach a larger audience than just DC fans. And many, many people love Mortal Kombat, maybe more than DC, or have really no knowledge of interest in DC/Comic books in general outside of maybe the movies. So, seeing Sub-Zero, a VERY mainstream character, may interest them in not only buying Injustice, and enlargening NRS'/WB's paycheck, as well as our playerbase. And for those who love MK, but really just wanted another fighting game in the NRS motif, it gives them even more reason to join the train! While, Sub-Zero may take the slot of a DC character. (Hell, look at my name. Both of my favorite characters aren't coming back. With Robin and Deadshot, plus Red Hood now.) But he will give NRS money to add more DC characters. Like Zatanna and MM in Injustice 1. Because more money, more content.
I think it's ok for nrs to put mk characters in a DC game. They should've put a dc character in mkx just to keep fan boys kinda of content.

I don't see the uproar either. Have people never played mvc or the soul series? Hell scorpion was in some Midway games that didn't involve mk.

Those were the days when guest characters were in almost every game. Nobody cared then.

But now...

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/09/june-2013-psn-top-sellers-the-last-of-us-reigns/

How could Scorpion be the best selling if he didn't even top Lobo and, as seen in July, Martian Manhunter?
As you can see in that link, there is no Scorpion, but there is no other character either. When we say the best-selling character, we mean in comparison to the other individual characters, and there are no characters at all listed in the June list. Now for the July list, yes, Martian Manhunter makes the cut and not Scorpion, but Scorpion could've still get more sales as a stand alone character in that month that it was overall the best seller of all. Also, since this list takes into account all add-ons, this could possibly mean that Scorpion was the best-seller for characters, but overall the the other non-character-specific add-ons still sold more on that month, while in July, Martian Manhunter made the cut as the other add-ons got less sales in that month in comparison to previous months.

And of course, May doesn't count, as Scorpion wasn't released by then.

I think it's ok for nrs to put mk characters in a DC game. They should've put a dc character in mkx just to keep fan boys kinda of content.

I don't see the uproar either. Have people never played mvc or the soul series? Hell scorpion was in some Midway games that didn't involve mk.

Those were the days when guest characters were in almost every game. Nobody cared then.

But now...
Yeah one of the things that made Soul Calibur 2 so successful was the guest characters.

Last edited:

Mulder

King of Heroes
As you can see in that link, there is no Scorpion, but there is no other character either. When we say the best-selling character, we mean in comparison to the other individual characters, and there are no characters at all listed in the June list. Now for the July list, yes, Martian Manhunter makes the cut and not Scorpion, but Scorpion could've still get more sales as an stand alone character in that month that it was overall the best seller of all. Also, since this list takes into account all add-ons, this could possibly mean that Scorpion was the best-seller for characters, but overall the the other non-character-specific add-ons still sold more on that month, while in July, Martian Manhunter made the cut as the other add-ons got less sales in that month in comparison to previous months.

And of course, May doesn't count, as Scorpion wasn't released by then.

Yeah one of the things that made Soul Calibur 2 so successful was the guest characters.
That's quite a lot of bsing to somehow explain how Scorpion managed to not make it as the best selling individual character when Martian Manhunter outsold him and he never made the top 10 add-ons.

I always love the posts where "purists" aren't part of "sales numbers".
It's logical to assume that DC purists are a minority when compared to the larger fanbase of the MK series. Hence the reason why MK characters keep showing up in a DC fighting game. If Scorpion hadn't of sold well in Ij1 we would not be seeing any more MK characters as DLC. It's clear there is a limit with the recent negative vibe going on with a possible Raiden appearance. Something tells me NRS will not go that way if they were planning to.

I am a purist in that I would love to see all DC characters in this DC game. I would not mind guest characters that made sense like Spawn or god forbid a marvel guest character (if that was even possible).

I understand why the purist see it as wasting a slot when using an mk character because there are so many DC characters to bring to life for this fighting series. The fact that NRS chooses to go with their MK characters is disappointing but understandable from the business side of things.