What's new

An unpopular opinion.

Recently I've seen a few threads discussing Sub-Zero and (possibly) Raiden's inclusion in Injustice 2 DLC. And I wanted to throw my hat in the ring. While I agree with DC loyals that this game should have DC characters mainly. Injustice 2 is a fighting game, that Netherrealm, and (Mainly) Warner Bro's wants to reach a larger audience than just DC fans. And many, many people love Mortal Kombat, maybe more than DC, or have really no knowledge of interest in DC/Comic books in general outside of maybe the movies. So, seeing Sub-Zero, a VERY mainstream character, may interest them in not only buying Injustice, and enlargening NRS'/WB's paycheck, as well as our playerbase. And for those who love MK, but really just wanted another fighting game in the NRS motif, it gives them even more reason to join the train! While, Sub-Zero may take the slot of a DC character. (Hell, look at my name. Both of my favorite characters aren't coming back. With Robin and Deadshot, plus Red Hood now.) But he will give NRS money to add more DC characters. Like Zatanna and MM in Injustice 1. Because more money, more content.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
You're not alone here at all. I like Injustice and the DC universe, but my favorite fighting game franchise is Mortal Kombat. Hell my 2nd all time favorite fighting series is MVC, a Marvel related series, since I'm still a bigger fan of Marvel then DC. So having the chance of playing an MK character, for me, it makes me like the game even more. And regardless of any of that, NRS and WB would wanna add guest characters to the game anyway, so if Scorpion made it to IJ1, it only makes sense that Sub-Zero will be in IJ2. Now whatever SZ will be the only MK character in IJ2, we won't know until a few months from now, but at least for SZ, it was pretty much a given.

Also, since we talk about Sub-Zero, I heard some speculation (and it's only speculation so don't take it as a fact for now), but I really want this to be true. It could be that when Sub-Zero makes to the roster, you will be able to make him look and play like the other MK Ninjas by the Gear System, like Reptile, Scorpion, Ermac etc; And to add to the original topic, if that's the case that will make me like the game EVEN MORE, because then not only I will still play Poison Ivy (it's a DC fighting game after all) but also Reptile too.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Recently I've seen a few threads discussing Sub-Zero and (possibly) Raiden's inclusion in Injustice 2 DLC. And I wanted to throw my hat in the ring. While I agree with DC loyals that this game should have DC characters mainly. Injustice 2 is a fighting game, that Netherrealm, and (Mainly) Warner Bro's wants to reach a larger audience than just DC fans. And many, many people love Mortal Kombat, maybe more than DC, or have really no knowledge of interest in DC/Comic books in general outside of maybe the movies. So, seeing Sub-Zero, a VERY mainstream character, may interest them in not only buying Injustice, and enlargening NRS'/WB's paycheck, as well as our playerbase. And for those who love MK, but really just wanted another fighting game in the NRS motif, it gives them even more reason to join the train! While, Sub-Zero may take the slot of a DC character. (Hell, look at my name. Both of my favorite characters aren't coming back. With Robin and Deadshot, plus Red Hood now.) But he will give NRS money to add more DC characters. Like Zatanna and MM in Injustice 1. Because more money, more content.
BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Imagine if DC put subzero in a Superman comic. This is how slighted I feel by subzero's presence in I2.
It's not the same thing at all. None of the MK characters will be part of the story in any way. They'll have some wonky shit ending in arcade mode that will have zero to do with the actual Injustice canon.

How is it that we are STILL complaining about guest characters? NRS has made a fucking incredible game (again) and the revenue created by these guest characters simply makes it easier to keep creating content for us and release more DLC and patches and what not.

Like it or not, Freddy Krueger was the top selling DLC in MK9 by a mile. Same goes for the guest characters in MKX. And guess what? Waaaaay more people are interested in buying Sub Zero than they are for Star Sapphire. Not a knock on her at all, it's just the truth.

People with zero interest in the DC universe will buy Injustice 2 just to play the MK characters. This is great for the game. I can't wait to see how Sub Zero, Raiden and (probably Cage) play in this game, myself.

So y'all believe that MK is a bigger brand & attracts a biggger audience then D.C. Comics ? I disagree.
No. In fighting game style, Mk is much more prominent and loved. Fighting games tend to have a niche market, so having someone from a more recognizable fighting game will attract more MK loyals, or Fighting game fans to the game.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Netherrealm, and (Mainly) Warner Bro's wants to reach a larger audience than just DC fans. And many, many people love Mortal Kombat, maybe more than DC
I don't have strong feelings about guest characters one way or the other, but there is no parallel dimension in the multiverse where MK is more known than DC.

Sub-Zero lending his "star power" to Superman would be like Dustin Diamond promoting Chris Pratt.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
@John Grizzly

Which is exactly why it's worse. DC comics would actually give subzero a tie in to the universe, god forbid he was ever in DC. Subzero will be crowbar'd into I2 with no ties to the DC multiverse.

Subzero, if in a DC comic, would be retcon'd for some discernible reason. Subzero is in I2 for all the wrong reasons and is just a hamfisted approach to raising net profit and including the casual mk audience

Edit: and the, "MK fans", are the same people that will be all over the I2 DLC characters coming from major motion pictures. I would be fine with them doing all comic book movie characters from this 2017 movie season, as shameless as it would be, if that meant we didn't get MK characters. So what's the problem

Last edited:
There isn't a problem with casual players. Mainly when they allow and increase the growth of game, so that more DC Characters are added to the game. Guest slots earn a ton of revenue. I'm willing to take subby for now, for a chance for more characters like Livewire, Plastic man, or just DC characters people won.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Raiden can eat one though, 1 MK character is enough but you guys understand why they have an MK character in right? That doesn't need to be explained again hopefully..

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I don't care who they put in the game, as long as who they put in is interesting/fun to play. They can be obscure, mainstream, from the same universe, from a different intellectual property, whatever. It probably makes more sense from a business standpoint to include mainstream characters from other IP's if cross promotion synergy is the goal, but at the end of the day all I ask is that the guest characters be interesting from a gameplay perspective and fun to play.

I don't care who they put in the game, as long as who they put in is interesting/fun to play. They can be obscure, mainstream, from the same universe, from a different intellectual property, whatever. It probably makes more sense from a business standpoint to include mainstream characters from other IP's if cross promotion synergy is the goal, but at the end of the day all I ask is that the guest characters be interesting from a gameplay perspective and fun to play.
I can agree, I didn't like Jason being in MKX, but god damn he ended up being really fun to play when done right.