What's new

An unpopular opinion.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
It's ordinary that people in a mk forum hate mk characters
You don't have to hate them to not want them in the game.

I'm probably the biggest Sub Zero fan here, I've collected all his toys, watched every show, movie or content that had Sub Zero on it. Played MK1 in 1992 and mained Sub since.

It's just corny to have guys like Raiden, Sub Zero, Scorpion in a universe or game they can't do brutalities, fatalities or have all their variations in. In MK deception, Sub Zero got to dress like Shredder and use a dope ass sword. That was HYPE. I want Sub Zero in MK games.

Not everyone here works for NRS, you're mostly fans. Unless NRS is paying, then OP's post is valid. We're the customers who are spending money so we should be speaking from our perspective, not the sellers. Having Deathstroke and Nightwing is vital in any DC game because those two guys along have a history and kickass record that surpasses many. Deadshot, Red Hood and Robin are all 2nd and 3rd to them, they're not even B level characters. However, shout out to the OP for thread and sharing this opinion, which I actually believe is the popular and majority opinion. This is a site for MK, but other fighting game exist. IGAU can truly sell well without MK characters. Most of these characters are followed by DC and non DC fans. Hell, the average person who doesn't read comics know who Batman or Superman is over Lui Kang and Kung Lao. DC always had a bigger audience and DC as a product sells itself.

Either way, Sub Zero is my beloved. I just know where he fits best and it's definitely not in IGAU. MKX Sub Zero was really fun, despite Ice Clones not being consistent.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Either way, Sub is already in the game. Our opinions don't really matter much at this point. The public has spoken I guess. Love to Sub, MK, and DC. I just want us all to enjoy the game as much as possible.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
@John Grizzly

Which is exactly why it's worse. DC would actually give subzero a tie in to the universe, god forbid he was ever in DC. Subzero will be crowbar'd into I2 with no ties to the DC multiverse.

Subzero, if in a DC comic, would be retcon'd for some discernible reason. Subzero is in I2 for all the wrong reasons and is just a hamfisted approach to raising net profit and including the casual mk audience

Edit: and the, "MK fans", are the same people that will be all over the I2 DLC characters coming from major motion pictures. I would be fine with them doing all comic book movie characters from this 2017 movie season, as shameless as it would be, if that meant we didn't get MK characters. So what's the problem
WTF are you talkin' about, mate?

Sub isn't part of the story AT ALL. And how dare NRS try to make some money by including a massively popular character, therefore introducing people to Injustice who may not have played it otherwise. You know how many people bought MK9, INJ1 or MKX solely on the inclusion of guest characters like Freddy, Jason or Predator? The answer is a ton. And there's a huge part of that group that ended up loving the game and playing other characters eventually, as well.

This is why guest characters are a thing. I'm sorry Sub Zero is taking up the spot of some super obscure DC character that no one will give two shits about. There's like 35 characters or something in INJ2. If 3 of them are MK characters, I'm fine with that. I'd rather see them included than some of the lame suggestions I've seen around.

NRS is giving us a FULL GAME ON LAUNCH unlike Capcom that charged 60 bucks for a fucking beta. I couldn't be happier about the roster and the game as a whole.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Scorpion sold more than all the other Injustice 1 DLC = people wanted to play him more than MMH, Batgirl, Zod, Zatana, and Lobo = Scorpion made NRS/WB the most money = Sub-Zero will probably do the same

All there is to it lol you make it out like most people would rather have a DC character when it's actually the opposite. Having one MK character is perfectly fine.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MK is as known in gaming culture as DC is known in comic culture....that being said, WB owns both so I don't get why people cry over this still. Do people have a shitfit with Smash brother guest characters? Or SF having Tekken character, vice versa or SC having Star War Characters?

Scorpion sold the most factually in Injustice 1 DLC, so the logical thing would be to put in another MK character as popular ie Sub-Zero in the second game, yeah? I mean it's not like developers and companies like WB want to make something called money...but hey at least they're not charging us for on disc content and "real endings":rolleyes:

As someone who loves MK and DC, the DC fans should be grateful they have a known fighting game because of NRS....prior to Injustice franchise, Marvel was dominating the "comic fighting game market" now that's changed, be happy for that instead of crying over a few MK guest characters.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
WTF are you talkin' about, mate?

Sub isn't part of the story AT ALL. And how dare NRS try to make some money by including a massively popular character, therefore introducing people to Injustice who may not have played it otherwise. You know how many people bought MK9, INJ1 or MKX solely on the inclusion of guest characters like Freddy, Jason or Predator? The answer is a ton. And there's a huge part of that group that ended up loving the game and playing other characters eventually, as well.

This is why guest characters are a thing. I'm sorry Sub Zero is taking up the spot of some super obscure DC character that no one will give two shits about. There's like 35 characters or something in INJ2. If 3 of them are MK characters, I'm fine with that. I'd rather see them included than some of the lame suggestions I've seen around.

NRS is giving us a FULL GAME ON LAUNCH unlike Capcom that charged 60 bucks for a fucking beta. I couldn't be happier about the roster and the game as a whole.
Reading comprehension needs a little work and they could still do guest DC characters that live in alternate universe(s). Spawn, Hellboy, Dr. Manhattan...

Clearly I'm not talking to a comic book fan so subzero is made just for people like you. Eat it up

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Reading comprehension needs a little work and they could still do guest DC characters that live in alternate universe(s). Spawn, Hellboy, Dr. Manhattan...

Clearly I'm not talking to a comic book fan so subzero is made just for people like you. Eat it up
I am a comic book fan. A massive one. If I'm just not ignorant as to why NRS puts guest characters in their games.

Sub Zero will sell more than all 3 of those characters you mentioned combined. It's just smart business. Would I rather PERSONALLY have Hellboy or Dr Manhattan in the game than Sub Zero? Of course I would. The difference is I'm not moaning about it like it's the end of the world. If it truly bothers you so much, don't buy the game.

This business model will never change. If it didn't make sense financially, NRS wouldn't have continued including guest characters for 4 straight releases.

It blows me away that people are still bitching about this. NRS put so much fucking fan service into this game and people are still not happy.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Ok OP made a post titled, "An unpopular opinion", and you're just reinforcing my side of the arguement. And news flash, I'm in the majority opinion on the matter.

You want to defend Leatherface now? The character that made DLC over Fujin and got his reboot movie cancelled?

You're complaining just as much, if not, more than anyone else on here in the name of supposed insight on the matter. We all know guest characters sell the most, somehow that's a way to justify the experience for you.

NRS says these character sell, "the best", but we don't know by what measure they sell the most. We don't know what the actual sales returns are for these characters so they might even mean that these characters sell the best in the first week or the first month.

Either way, I know your just arguing for the sake of winning, not being right. It's the nature of tym and I'm done.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I agree. The only reason I ever got the first Injustice was because one late night I just happened to see a commercial before release and it was advertised as being made by the creators of Mortal Kombat. I literally got that game because of the "From the creators of Mortal Kombat" line in the ad and it turned me into somewhat of a fan.

I know I am in the minority here but I doubt I was the only one who got into the original because it was by NRS. Throwing in a MK character makes sense since the communities overlap.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Do fans just not believe nrs has any say or preference in what characters they pick? Maybe they just like sub zero more than your character.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Everyone's talking about how Sub's going to sell the best and I'm just over here wondering if Starfire can beat him. She's damn popular and been in demand for years. There's a lot of Teen Titans fans afterall.

Never really minded guest characters, except Leatherface when he was announced. Later revised that opinion after I got a look at him. They did too good a job.

Unfortunately for us DC purists, the sales numbers tell NRS that the player base wants MK chars in this series if you believe what Boon stated a while back. I love the MK series for what it is but I would prefer more DC chars come to life in this series be it returning chars from IJ1 or new chars in this game. It's just not going to happen, they can only budget for so many characters. I hate the idea of having to wait another 5 years for IJ3 based on the current cycle NRS is following. I wish WB would just create two dev houses at NRS so we could see more DC fighting games faster, sigh.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
You guys make me feel like I'm the only person who didn't buy any outside guest characters in any NRS games lol. Fuck Horror Movie icons, and scorpion and subzero. I love them in their own realms but I didn't want them in MKX therefore I didn't buy them. Sometimes we forget that we're still costumers too. Speak with your wallet even if it won't make a difference in the long run. In the grand scheme of things we all love NRS and the games they make. But at the same time it's okay to not like something that the masses do. As much as I dislike MK guest characters in the game I'm still going to drop $100 for that Ultimate edition this time around because I love D.C. That much. MK wasn't worth it to me.

Ok OP made a post titled, "An unpopular opinion", and you're just reinforcing my side of the arguement. And news flash, I'm in the majority opinion on the matter.

You want to defend Leatherface now? The character that made DLC over Fujin and got his reboot movie cancelled?

You're complaining just as much, if not, more than anyone else on here in the name of supposed insight on the matter. We all know guest characters sell the most, somehow that's a way to justify the experience for you.

NRS says these character sell, "the best", but we don't know by what measure they sell the most. We don't know what the actual sales returns are for these characters so they might even mean that these characters sell the best in the first week or the first month.

Either way, I know your just arguing for the sake of winning, not being right. It's the nature of tym and I'm done.
I never wanted Leatherface. And I don't feel as if I'm complaining, so I'm sorry if it comes off as that. While I disliked the fact that 4/8 dlc characters in MKX were DLC. WB probably had the last say and saw from MK9/IGAU that guest characters sell well.

Ed Trolly Boon himself stated later on, that Freddy Krueger, and Scorpion were the best selling of all their respective games DLC roster. Both he said in an interview before the launch of Injustice 2. Meaning that both of those stats were revelant still at that point, and usually a month after a DLC comes or DLC cycle ends, is when sales slow to a trickle.

I never wanted to make Sub-Zero a good choice, I just wanted to put my opinion as to why he is in the game, there are many, many more people I wish were in his spot (Deathstroke, Nightwing, Red Arrow, Star Sapphire or Livewire, or even Silk Spectre), but I will not sully the game for having a guest character, when that trend is one that can lead to more, and more content. Which if sales are as good as MKX or better. Then there will definitely be more content than what is shown now. Guest characters will lead to more sales, and hell. If you don't like him that much? Learn how to counter pick, and when you face him online or such. Beat that ass until you feel better ^u^.

Ive been a dc fan force since I was s munchkin and didn't need a guest character to get into MK9 (Freddy scares the shit out of me but I still used him ocassionally) but ive never been hapoy about MK characters in Injustice. However, I was totally was cool with Alien and Predator in MKX and really want Spawn in Injustice 2 and would be cool wit Hellboy as well.

At the end of the day, Guest characters are understandable

Silver_Shadow

Crazy Mexican
Everyone's talking about how Sub's going to sell the best and I'm just over here wondering if Starfire can beat him. She's damn popular and been in demand for years. There's a lot of Teen Titans fans afterall.

Never really minded guest characters, except Leatherface when he was announced. Later revised that opinion after I got a look at him. They did too good a job.
I was thinking the same! Never underestimate the Teen Titans fanbase!! Its a huge fanbase and very vocal lol Plus all the Titan related characters won their respective twitter polls ;)

Second Saint

I was thinking the same! Never underestimate the Teen Titans fanbase!! Its a huge fanbase and very vocal lol Plus all the Titan related characters won their respective twitter polls ;)
Right? I mean, which do you think is a bigger untapped demographic, Diehard MK fans that aren't already aboard the Injustice train, or fans of Teen Titans who have never tried a fighting game, but might be interested.

PizzaMasta

Hellblazer
Right? I mean, which do you think is a bigger untapped demographic, Diehard MK fans that aren't already aboard the Injustice train, or fans of Teen Titans who have never tried a fighting game, but might be interested.
I would have agreed with you if Scorpion had not outsold freaking Martian Manhunter, who was the most requested DC character ever, he's a founding league member and one of the only characters every single kid who saw the cartoons would recognize. I think he was more requested than Starfire is right now, and he still got beat, surprisingly enough.

Second Saint

I would have agreed with you if Scorpion had not outsold freaking Martian Manhunter, who was the most requested DC character ever, he's a founding league member and one of the only characters every single kid who saw the cartoons would recognize. I think he was more requested than Starfire is right now, and he still got beat, surprisingly enough.
That's definitely a fair point. I wonder what the actual margin for that was. I mean, with MMH being the best character in the game, having enough exposure and fans, how far behind Scorpion was he?

I am a comic book fan. A massive one. If I'm just not ignorant as to why NRS puts guest characters in their games.

Sub Zero will sell more than all 3 of those characters you mentioned combined. It's just smart business. Would I rather PERSONALLY have Hellboy or Dr Manhattan in the game than Sub Zero? Of course I would. The difference is I'm not moaning about it like it's the end of the world. If it truly bothers you so much, don't buy the game.

This business model will never change. If it didn't make sense financially, NRS wouldn't have continued including guest characters for 4 straight releases.

It blows me away that people are still bitching about this. NRS put so much fucking fan service into this game and people are still not happy.
You have completely trashed this thread by making rational arguments premised upon empirical evidence. I'm going to report you to the mods!