What's new

Am 1 the only one who facing problem in mk11

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think what people don't understand is that you wake up in this game with your brain. It requires your mind, because it's a read, and making smart reads is what makes the wakeup meta interesting.

You guys that are complaining that wakeups are bad, complain because you want to be able to autopilot one thing out with meter that automatically beats 90% of what your opponent is going to do. And I would counter that this is actually far more boring, and exactly what you don't want in a fighting game.

You have 5 built-in options on wakeup (delay, forward roll, backward roll, invincible u3 and anti-air). And then 3 more that aren't built-in wakeups but are still valid based on what your opponent might do (block, jump, attack). That's a total of 8 possible options that play into the meta and that's what makes it interesting.

For whatever your opponent might do, there are some of those 8 options that will counter it. And for whatever you might do, your opponent has options that would counter it. But who is successful depends on who makes the right read and that is what fighting games are about.

When you stop protesting that it's not the previous game, and start getting into the mindgames of who does what where, that's when the oki meta in this game becomes fascinating and fun. For people who just want to mash it out, I've got no sympathy for you.

Forward Advancing Combo Strings, my dude. I don't call em whiff punishes because alot of the characters can travel half the screen with certain combo strings. Like Kotal Kahn, Cassie, Shao Kahn, Raiden, Jade, etc.
[Q UOTE="GetEmLUNA, post: 2577133, member: 28882"]
Forward Advancing Combo Strings, my dude. I don't call em whiff punishes because alot of the characters can travel half the screen with certain combo strings. Like Kotal Kahn, Cassie, Shao Kahn, Raiden, Jade, etc. I corrected my mistake as far as the wake ups. Wake up roll, the counter is a grab or command grab. Wake up Launcher or Pop up, the counter is a low attack. Invincible wake up, counter by either jumping neutral or just blocking up close for a grab if quick enough. And people make up words everyday, why cant we? Lol.
[/QUOTE]

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Forward Advancing Combo Strings, my dude. I don't call em whiff punishes because alot of the characters can travel half the screen with certain combo strings. Like Kotal Kahn, Cassie, Shao Kahn, Raiden, Jade, etc.
Lol I know what the term means since you explained it but I’m just saying its only you calling it this. But anyway, you wouldn’t call them whiff punishes unless they actually whiff punish something. But these “FACS” can still whiff punish buttons so idk why you wouldn’t call them that in those situations.

I think what people don't understand is that you wake up in this game with your brain. It requires your mind, because it's a read, and making smart reads is what makes the wakeup meta interesting.

You guys that are complaining that wakeups are bad, complain because you want to be able to autopilot something out with meter what automatically beats 90% of what your opponent is going to do. And I would counter that this is actually far more boring, and exactly what you don't want in a fighting game.

You have 5 built-in options on wakeup (delay, forward roll, backward roll, invincible u3 and anti-air). And then 3 more that aren't built-in wakeups but are still valid based on what your opponent might do (block, jump, attack). That's a total of 8 possible things that play into the meta and that's what makes it interesting.

For whatever your opponent might do, there's one of those 8 options that will counter it. And for whatever you might do, your opponent has options that will counter it. But who is successful depends on who makes the right read and that is what fighting games are about.

When you stop protesting that it's not the previous game, and start getting into the mind games of who does what where, that's when the oki meta in this game becomes fascinating and fun. For people who just want to mash it out, I've got no sympathy for you at all.
I like it because it's easier to deal with than MKX. It's more predictable. People get it twisted, just because I understand where he's coming from doesnt mean it's hard to deal with. It's not hard to punish wake ups. I love it to be honest. I hope they keep it this way. Some have terrible wake ups which makes it even better.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
[Q UOTE="GetEmLUNA, post: 2577133, member: 28882"]
Forward Advancing Combo Strings, my dude. I don't call em whiff punishes because alot of the characters can travel half the screen with certain combo strings. Like Kotal Kahn, Cassie, Shao Kahn, Raiden, Jade, etc. I corrected my mistake as far as the wake ups. Wake up roll, the counter is a grab or command grab. Wake up Launcher or Pop up, the counter is a low attack. Invincible wake up, counter by either jumping neutral or just blocking up close for a grab if quick enough. And people make up words everyday, why cant we? Lol.
[/QUOTE]
Ok I get what you’re saying now, it was just a bit unclear. U2s can be countered by anything that isn’t a jump or throw though, doesn’t just have to be a low.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

You guys that are complaining that wakeups are bad, complain because you want to be able to autopilot one thing out with meter that automatically beats 90% of what your opponent is going to do. And I would counter that this is actually far more boring, and exactly what you don't want in a fighting game.

You have 5 built-in options on wakeup (delay, forward roll, backward roll, invincible u3 and anti-air). And then 3 more that aren't built-in wakeups but are still valid based on what your opponent might do (block, jump, attack). That's a total of 8 possible options that play into the meta and that's what makes it interesting.

For whatever your opponent might do, there are some of those 8 options that will counter it. And for whatever you might do, your opponent has options that would counter it. But who is successful depends on who makes the right read and that is what fighting games are about.

When you stop protesting that it's not the previous game, and start getting into the mindgames of who does what where, that's when the oki meta in this game becomes fascinating and fun. For people who just want to mash it out, I've got no sympathy for you.
Just to clarify

not one time have I ever said anything about previous games in regards to these wakeups.

I don't care armor on wakeup, invincibility on wakeup... any of it.

The problem lies when.... one offensive "read" covers 3 of the 4 defensive "reads".

that makes the wakeups ass-tastic, to which they are and proven in every actual tournament played.

Lol I know what the term means since you explained it but I’m just saying its only you calling it this. But anyway, you wouldn’t call them whiff punishes unless they actually whiff punish something. But these “FACS” can still whiff punish buttons so idk why you wouldn’t call them that in those situations.
Never said you had to, just like I dont have to say Whiff Punish, lol. Because I understand not everyone knows the terminology or understand it, so I say it in a way that even new player can understand. Forward Advancing Combo Strings make more sense in my eyes, that's what I say it. Never said anyone else had to call em that. I train folks who dont get what a whiff punish is, but when I say something like... Raiden can punish my missed blah blah with his back 1 2 FACS, they understand a little better, that's all.

Ok I get what you’re saying now, it was just a bit unclear. U2s can be countered by anything that isn’t a jump or throw though, doesn’t just have to be a low.
[/QUOTE]
I know, it's just more reliable if you opponent has a good launcher, like Geras.

I know, it's just more reliable if you opponent has a good launcher, like Geras.
[/QUOTE]
Well, more reliable in certain matchups I said say.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Never said you had to, just like I dont have to say Whiff Punish, lol. Because I understand not everyone knows the terminology or understand it, so I say it in a way that even new player can understand. Forward Advancing Combo Strings make more sense in my eyes, that's what I say it. Never said anyone else had to call em that. I train folks who dont get what a whiff punish is, but when I say something like... Raiden can punish my missed blah blah with his back 1 2 FACS, they understand a little better, that's all.
The problem with doing this is it makes it confusing both to whoever you’re telling when they hear it from others, and other people hearing them don’t understand what you’re talking about. The way you phrase it makes it sound like you’re saying you can only punish with your “FACS” which isn’t true, you can whiff punish every attack which more or less any attack. Just so I’m clear, do you think whiff punishes and FACS are the same thing?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Just to clarify

not one time have I ever said anything about previous games in regards to these wakeups.
Multiple people in this thread have said something like "Why isn't it like the previous games, waaah". So that wasn't directed at you -- it's directed at everybody.

The problem lies when.... one offensive "read" covers 3 of the 4 defensive "reads".
Which read is that?
  • Throw covers block, roll, and mash but loses to jump, neutral crouch, and delay if it was timed as a meaty.
  • Meaty string beats jump and maybe attack, but might lose to either roll depending on the string, loses to delay
  • Walkback may beat u2 and u3, but if they wake up and block it really give you no advantage. Loses to forward advancing attacks
  • Neutral jump beats some u3s, either beats or loses to some u2s, loses to certain types of attacks
etc.

If you're complaining because your opponent is walking back and sitting there waiting for you to mash something, then stop mashing and just get up and block or continue your neutral.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Multiple people in this thread have said something like "Why isn't it like the previous games, waaah". So that wasn't directed at you -- it's directed at everybody.

Which read is that?
  • Throw covers block, roll, and mash but loses to jump, neutral crouch, and delay if it was timed as a meaty.
  • Meaty string beats jump and maybe attack, but might lose to either roll depending on the string, loses to delay
  • Walkback may beat u2 and u3, but if they wake up and block it really give you no advantage. Loses to forward advancing attacks
  • Neutral jump beats some u3s, either beats or loses to some u2s, loses to certain types of attacks
etc.

If you're complaining because your opponent is walking back and sitting there waiting for you to mash something, then stop mashing and just get up and block or continue your neutral.
A lot of ppl are too used to hold block as they stand, when in fact you can time a block the instand you character is up.
If one knows for sure the amount of attacks that can hit as meaty, one can practice to wakeup with a flawless block, not many are even exploring this yet and it nulifies the whole meaty family either on wakeup of frame trap.

The problem with doing this is it makes it confusing both to whoever you’re telling when they hear it from others, and other people hearing them don’t understand what you’re talking about. The way you phrase it makes it sound like you’re saying you can only punish with your “FACS” which isn’t true, you can whiff punish every attack which more or less any attack. Just so I’m clear, do you think whiff punishes and FACS are the same thing?

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I never liked the wakeup system nor did i understood people who defend it, You're rewarded for being knocked down with tools to condition your opponent who outplayed you. Oh you knocked me down? Aight time for rock-paper-scissors, what's it gonna be? So anticlimactic and boring.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
No disrespect to OP whatsoever but he's a bonafide scrub! He can't play, can't execute, and can't make reads :DOGE