What's new

Match-up Discussion Alright, here is my Deathstroke matchup chart, would like to hear the thoughts of the community

Tournament viability depends on what the player tolerates. I think Deathstroke loses to almost every top tier character in the game, so to me he is not tournament viable.

I really do not see a reason to use Deathstroke, especially since most top tier characters can be learned very quickly.

Name me one thing unique about Deathstroke that makes him worthwhile to play.
can blow up armor with guns/ one of the best jump 3s in the game/ controls interactables better than most since he can shoot ppl if they try to use them. That is three things. Also 4 6 mus are super manageable, even 7 3s can be managed. 8 2s are where there is almost no hope.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
can blow up armor with guns/ one of the best jump 3s in the game/ controls interactables better than most since he can shoot ppl if they try to use them. That is three things. Also 4 6 mus are super manageable, even 7 3s can be managed. 8 2s are where there is almost no hope.
i dunno, man, thats all relatively small compared to what other characters can do, maybe if his trait was actually worth while and useable...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Blowing up armor with guns is not too relevant. This game is not MK.

Batgirl and Scorpion do a superior job at controlling interactables.

I concede jump 3.

Average zoning. Average footsies. Average rush down. Average 50/50 mix ups. Average damage output. Average character. Nothing special.

i dunno, man, thats all relatively small compared to what other characters can do, maybe if his trait was actually worth while and useable...
He is fine. One nerf does not just take him off the map. Plenty of characters have been nerfed in fighting games, doesn't mean they aren't viable. Yun got nerfed after ae and many dropped him, but those who stayed with him have had success.

Axel_Redd

He is fine. One nerf does not just take him off the map. Plenty of characters have been nerfed in fighting games, doesn't mean they aren't viable. Yun got nerfed after ae and many dropped him, but those who stayed with him have had success.
wasn't just one nerf, he got hit hard,

Blowing up armor with guns is not too relevant. This game is not MK.

Batgirl and Scorpion do a superior job at controlling interactables.

I concede jump 3.

Average zoning. Average footsies. Average rush down. Average 50/50 mix ups. Average damage output. Average character. Nothing special.
uh blowing up armor is good, especially when ppl do meter burn specials like doomsday. You are downplaying DS way too much. If he is really as bad as you make him out to be, then we shouldn't see DS players in the top8/top 16s of tournaments. But we have.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
uh blowing up armor is good, especially when ppl do meter burn specials like doomsday. You are downplaying DS way too much. If he is really as bad as you make him out to be, then we shouldn't see no DS players in the top8/top 16s of tournaments. But we have.
We've seen Kano in a top 8 before. :p

Hell, Mustard's placed with Bane of all people.

Axel_Redd

chip/ low guns nerf? definitely can adapt to that. Ryu got nerfed in sf4 a lot, still viable.
thing is, because of DS's Nerfs, his skillset really doesnt make a whole lot of sense, he's better upclose than zoning yet most of his abilities are meant to knock them away. It made more sense when his zoning was better.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Anyway, I think results only tell part of the story. A lot of these placings are when people haven't yet adapted to the character, so it was a lot easier for good Deathstrokes to win. Not to take their wins because they played better but could they do it again?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
thing is, because of DS's Nerfs, his skillset really doesnt make a whole lot of sense, he's better upclose than zoning yet most of his abilities are meant to knock them away. It made more sense when his zoning was better.
You should be pushing them into the corner.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
uh blowing up armor is good, especially when ppl do meter burn specials like doomsday. You are downplaying DS way too much. If he is really as bad as you make him out to be, then we shouldn't see no DS players in the top8/top 16s of tournaments. But we have.
Whoever you see in the top 8 this early in the game is not too relevant. REO placed 2nd using Mileena at Evolution 2011 because nobody had any clue how to fight the character. Six months later, Mileena was nowhere to be found in any top 8.

Reactions: RYX
Anyway, I think results only tell part of the story. A lot of these placings are when people haven't yet adapted to the character, so it was a lot easier for good Deathstrokes to win. Not to take their wins because they played better but could they do it again?
I believe they can do it again. I'm not saying he is top 5 and he dominates over half the cast, but he is still a solid character.

Whoever you see in the top 8 this early in the game is not too relevant. REO placed 2nd using Mileena at Evolution 2011 because nobody had any clue how to fight the character. Six months later, Mileena was nowhere to be found in any top 8.
liu kang placed top 8 at evo 2011, still viable. Reptile placed top 8 at evo 2011, still viable. Cage placed top 8 at evo 2011, still viable. Kitana placed top 8 at evo 2011, still viable. Your point? lol.

Axel_Redd

well....there is Sawnik Fox >.>