What's new

Aftermath DLC Story Mode spoiler discussion

I thought it was about as good as I expected it to be. I don't like having time travel like this in stories because it takes away the weight of stuff happening. So many characters died, and with each one I shrugged and thought "wonder when they'll come back to life". I wasn't disappointed because I don't expect a fighting game story to be any good at all.

I love Shang being the big bad. Kronika is such a cookie-cutter villain that has no personality other than being powerful that it was great to see a cunning, charismatic character get the spotlight. I know some people don't like Shao Kahn being a big, dumb despot, but I think it's a good characterization.

I thought what happened to Sheeva was dumb as hell. I really wanted her to be a powerhouse throughout most of the story, and was sad that she got the shaft.

Story reward gear is tight as fuck. I was too optimistic and hoped for secret characters, but what ya gonna do. It's clear they put a lot of work into this, and I think they did a good job. All-in-all, I'm glad I spent the $40 to support a franchise I love, and the story was some good fun.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
No redemption for Cetrion, the supposed Goddess of Life that spreads death just like Shinnok.

What did you guys thought about Fujin and Nightwolf?

To me, they were both amazing. Fujin is great, it was awesome to see him back and kicking ass.
And Nightwolf was good too, reminded me a bit of his role in MK9 where he was a badass.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Sindel's twist was kind of a stupid call. It had already been spoiled by her intro dialogue and tower that she was going to betray the good guys. I kind of feel like they should have followed through with making her a hero. I think Villain Sindel is awesome but they blew an opportunity to subvert expectations that would have been pretty sweet.

I have no comment on Sheeva in the story mode... :coffee: At least she wasn't getting jobbed by the good guys this time.

Shang Tsung was the best part of the story mode.

Overall the whole package was pretty deece, I'd give it a 7/10. Better than the first part of the MK11 story, still pretty wonky. The good canon ending is pretty awesome. Hopefully NRS puts the mainline fighting games down for a while after this so they can come at the fresh reboot correctly this time instead of going Dr Who on it. Story Mode costumes are awesome!

I would say it's worth 40 USD but I can't access Towers right now on PC so. Sharp inhale through teeth with a wince Why is it always something with PC and this company.

OH MY GOD. Both endings go to places I'm SO EXCITED about in MK stories. They even made reference to Mythologies Sub Zero I love it, naming Havik too... This might be the breakthrough I've been waiting for in MK, a daring roster change (either incorporating 500 years back lore or Chaos/Orderrealm new characters), finally breaking out of Earthrealm/Outworld/Netherrealm of the usual timeline. I see actual potential this time, MKX ending left me a bit... meh~, but this??? I AM HERE FOR IT.

Agilaz

It has begun
That last 2 chapters were intense. I wonder if it'll be treated as canonical if you pick Shang to be the time lord. Kotal dead, sonya, cassie and johnny possibly dead, kitana and liu beaten and broken and possibly very very dead...

Gotta say, the whole thing was great and Cary did an outstanding job. This was basically a few hours of Uncle Shang's Wacky Afternoon and i couldn't be more pleased with it. Shang's new outfits are also possibly some of the best looking in the game

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'm all about the Good ending. I wonder if they're trying to set up MK Alpha. We're overdue being able to finally see the first MK Tournament. Lot of the fan favorite characters are either immortal, thousands of years old or just hold mantles. So we can still have a lot of MK staples even with a story being set thousands of years in the past.

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
While not a fan of Sindels portrayal i really liked the story.

It was actually fun to whoop some ass with the villains since this is just one of many timelines that got rebooted anyway.

I think its obvious that the good ending is canon and i really like the idea of MK 12 maybe being during the time of the Great Kung Lao.

Especially since there is potential for Siro make his game debut.

This felt like the middle part of a trilogy. First the good guy's win, then the bad guys strike back, and in the third the good guys return from defeat to take down the ultimate bad guy. But, since we don't know which ending is canon maybe this is just the end but with so many characters fates unknown, the Cage family, Sheeva, Katana, Jade, Kung Lao, and others they could do another part.

As a side note, Havik has now appeared in a tower ending and been name-dropped in story mode. IMO it is only a matter of time before that crazy mother fucker is in this game.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I think it's safe to assume that Sheeva died. Otherwise the whole thing with the shokans wouldn't work. And Kung Lao was tossed to the Sea of Blood, after Sindel throws him out of camera you can hear a splash.

I think it's safe to assume that Sheeva died. Otherwise the whole thing with the shokans wouldn't work. And Kung Lao was tossed to the Sea of Blood, after Sindel throws him out of camera you can hear a splash.
I know, can he not swim? They had to tie Geras to an anchor to sink him.

Espio

Kokomo
Another plot hole I don't like is how when Shang transformed into the Shokan he had green eyes indicating he wasn't a Shokan, but for Raiden he does it perfect in every way. Some consistency on that would have sold people a lot more.

Does he get got or does he go get?
I didn't see anyone get him. They at least left Kuai Liang alone seemingly. They left alone Jacqui too. She was fighting in the battle, but didn't see her die or get fucked up on screen like most of the heroes.

Sub was kind of there then not like Baraka. They both appeared for like 5 minutes then proceeded on their merry way never to be seen again lol.