What's new

Aftermath DLC Story Mode spoiler discussion

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Think I made the right choice in not buying this. I still hate this new Sindel. Somehow it wouldn't surprise me if they said "This is all according to Quan Chi's plan!" The guy is the Aizen of the MK universe. And ANOTHER reset wtf? Though I'm happy villain's are getting some play, but I would really love it if character specific chapters go the way of the dodo. I can only hope we don't go back to MK1 with altered events again

Mr.Khen

I am you
I think this is the best story NRS has ever made. this is so perfect I literally cried tears of Joy.

Thank you NRS for making Mortal Kombat amazing again!!!

Gonna finish the alt ending nowwww

I said somewhere that I am not going expect for redemption from the MK11 story... and they delivered it BIG TIME.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
They missed the opportunity to have Skarlet "adopted" by Shao Kahn and Sindel to replace Kitana.

sad skarlet noises

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I hated it.

It started strong and then doubled down on literally every flaw the first part of the story had.

I have never seen a dev team completely disrespect their popular and well loved universe and cast of characters like this.

Like I honestly wonder why, why make new characters and bring back old fan favorites just to have them eat shit like this? To get tortured? To job without any relent? To be treated like jokes? Even to just die pathetically?

I don’t think a reboot is an excuse for this.

After about the halfway point this just felt like watching a couple of characters walk around putting down dogs.

I’m usually all for the villains in these kinds of stories but I still wanted the heroes to be treated with some sort respect. All we got were a few moment of NW and Fujin shining before everyone including them gets pissed on by the story.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
What I gathered.

The "good ending" is 100% Canon. Literally zero way they can spin the "bad ending" for future content unless they either pull more time travel bullshit or completely say goodbye to all the legacy characters. No Scorp, no SZ, no Kang, No Shao. The only Legacy characters that could possibly carry over would be Raiden, Shang and Fujin.

Next MK will be picking up from the good ending which is obviously Pre MK1. Before Great KL lost to Goro the first time. They've been filling in that pre MK1 lore for years now through the games and other media, so they must feel like they have plenty of storylines and content to get them through another few games.

Kinda crazy but sad in a way. This entire thing kinda shows how hard it is to keep an evolving and continuous storyline going for going on 30 years now. At some point the only option is to blow up the universe and start again.

I think they had the right idea with 9 but by X had gone so far off the rails that the reboot of the reboot was the only option.

MCPeePants

Bout it
I thought it was decent. Obviously only focused closely on a handful of chars, but I liked the intimacy. And it was nice to get not beat across the head by the military shit or Johnny Cage's wack ass. Instead, they focused on the cooler (opinion, obviously) Outworld/God characters. I thought it was funny to see all the characters die; it'll all get wiped anyways for next time.

Last edited:

C-Sword

Noob
Remember that youtube guy that made a rant video on Sindel being evil now? It'd be funny to see him react after he plays through the story.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
What I gathered.

The "good ending" is 100% Canon. Literally zero way they can spin the "bad ending" for future content unless they either pull more time travel bullshit or completely say goodbye to all the legacy characters. No Scorp, no SZ, no Kang, No Shao. The only Legacy characters that could possibly carry over would be Raiden, Shang and Fujin.

Next MK will be picking up from the good ending which is obviously Pre MK1. Before Great KL lost to Goro the first time. They've been filling in that pre MK1 lore for years now through the games and other media, so they must feel like they have plenty of storylines and content to get them through another few games.

Kinda crazy but sad in a way. This entire thing kinda shows how hard it is to keep an evolving and continuous storyline going for going on 30 years now. At some point the only option is to blow up the universe and start again.

I think they had the right idea with 9 but by X had gone so far off the rails that the reboot of the reboot was the only option.
It’s not even hard, plenty of series do it.

They just keep giving up and making lackluster endings to set up reboots.

Espio

Kokomo
Honestly thought it was good at first and then it just started going downhill due to what seemed like rushed and contrived nonsense.

The way they did Sheeva at the end......why the hell would the Shokan believe Kitana killed Sheeva when that dumb ho is down there to get her husband and killed the Shokan? Where was Baraka after Sheeva's chapter? Make it make sense.

Why did the Osh-Tekk celebrate with everyone? after killing Kotal and not continue fighting? Kitana mopped Shao Kahn,(Liu Kang also mopped Shao Kahn in every canon encounter prior to this) but her, Kotal, Liu Kang plus Jade, Kung Lao etc suddenly cannot handle them? Why did Cassie lose all of a sudden to Sindel and Shao Kahn? God slayer trounced.

Also Sindel beating Cetrion is also wild because Sindel without Shang Tsung was never at that level, very comical. Shao Kahn became Ultra Instinct form and made no effort to do anything.

Only redeeming thing was Shang Tsung killing both of their plot armor asses at the end, never wanted to see two characters get wrecked. They really doubled down on Sindel's "true self".

Liu Kang tricking Shang Tsung at the end was dope, I'll give them that....it was a good plot point and it's nice to see what could be with Fire God Liu Kang leading Kung Lao and maybe Sonya, Jax, Nightwolf etc. I'm hopeful for that but hopefully they do fights and story differently where just because it's your chapter you don't become God even when it doesn't make sense.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
What I gathered.

If it means no more Special Forces, I m at 1000% in !

Pizza

Thrill Kill
What I gathered.

But the first timeline was built up for more than a decade. And they only get cornered when they started the Armageddon arc.

In this case they rebooted the whole thing in MK9 (which was done really well in my opinion despite some minor flaws) but then they cornered themselves almost immediately in the next game. So by the third entry they have to reboot again. I feel like the pacing in both MKX and MK11 is extremely fast, everything happens too quickly, there are too many time jumps, "power level" of the characters is all over the place, etc.

Some interesting ideas were barely developed. The Outworld Civil War in other times would've been the setting for a whole game. In fact, MKX is like four different settings happening at once.
Then MK11 brought the worst tropes of time travel and made that mess. I'm not saying is not enjoyable, because like I just said, there are very interesting ideas and things that they've done with certain characters. But everything is too brief, because it's like they keep pressing forward, forward, forward, they try to squeeze everything they have and get to the ending as quickly as possible.

One of my favourite things in MK11 was the role of Kitana unifying Outworld and defeating Shao Kahn. For once, Baraka and Sheeva had actual development. It has a lot of potential.
But in the end... that's all. A brief moment. Everything is getting rebooted again.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Honestly thought it was good at first and then it just started going downhill due to what seemed like rushed and contrived nonsense.

The way they did Sheeva at the end......why the hell would the Shokan believe Kitana killed Sheeva when that dumb ho is down there to get her husband and killed the Shokan? Where was Baraka after Sheeva's chapter? Make it make sense.

Why did the Osh-Tekk celebrate with everyone? after killing Kotal and not continue fighting? Kitana mopped Shao Kahn,(Liu Kang also mopped Shao Kahn in every canon encounter prior to this) but her, Kotal, Liu Kang plus Jade, Kung Lao etc suddenly cannot handle them? Why did Cassie lose all of a sudden to Sindel and Shao Kahn? God slayer trounced.

Also Sindel beating Cetrion is also wild because Sindel without Shang Tsung was never at that level, very comical. Shao Kahn became Ultra Instinct form and made no effort to do anything.

Only redeeming thing was Shang Tsung killing both of their plot armor asses at the end, never wanted to see two characters get wrecked. They really doubled down on Sindel's "true self".

Liu Kang tricking Shang Tsung at the end was dope, I'll give them that....it was a good plot point and it's nice to see what could be with Fire God Liu Kang leading Kung Lao and maybe Sonya, Jax, Nightwolf etc. I'm hopeful for that but hopefully they do fights and story differently where just because it's your chapter you don't become God even when it doesn't make sense.
Shao gained his strength from being a massive fucking simp for Sindel.

I don’t even like using that dumb word but there’s no other way to describe him in this game.