What's new

Aftermath DLC Story Mode spoiler discussion

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
That could be pretty cool. I think someone else had mentioned it, but essentially have a Mortal Kombat Alpha, where they could bring in a ton of "new" characters from the older lore.
Those events were already covered in the TV show Mortal Kombat Konquest, which was actually really good. A game taking placing during those events might be interesting, however, I am of the opinion they've made such a mess of the MK storyline that in order to save it the only thing they can do is make everything MK9 and after non-cannon. As is, nothing any protagonist does matters, because only a game or two later the villain is brought back with some tired old comic book trope and if it's not that, it's some absurd and even more tired alternate timelines/multiverse plot device that makes the whole thing completely devoid of logic and just utterly pointless. There were numerous other directions they could have taken with the MK story, but unfortunately they chose just about the least creative and over used, and frankly disrespectful of the fans of the franchise, venue.

xKMMx

Banned
That could be pretty cool. I think someone else had mentioned it, but essentially have a Mortal Kombat Alpha, where they could bring in a ton of "new" characters from the older lore.
Yea I'd love to see a game that has all these characters that we always here about. I think a prequel game would be a great way to bring in a mostly new cast without pissing off all the people that just have to have the same characters in every game.

xKMMx

Banned
Those events were already covered in the TV show Mortal Kombat Konquest, which was actually really good. A game taking placing during those events might be interesting, however, I am of the opinion they've made such a mess of the MK storyline that in order to save it the only thing they can do is make everything MK9 and after non-cannon. As is, nothing any protagonist does matters, because only a game or two later the villain is brought back with some tired old comic book trope and if it's not that, it's some absurd and even more tired alternate timelines/multiverse plot device that makes the whole thing completely devoid of logic and just utterly pointless. There were numerous other directions they could have taken with the MK story, but unfortunately they chose just about the least creative and over used, and frankly disrespectful of the fans of the franchise, venue.
This I can agree with. Not really all that creative to just impose time travel as a way to resurrect characters they had previously killed. I never palyed the 3D era but it is weird that at this point aside from Fujin, we haven't seen any of those characters brought back. I haven't heard much good about that era so I don't know if its just cause the characters were all boring and forgettable or if has to do with those games basically being ignored with the restart in MK9 but there has to be at least a few they bring in.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Well, I think Geras was fine. He was a goon that looked sinister enough, I think he could have potential in finding a new master (Havik?) and doing stuff.

Kollector, however, is wasted potential. There is a few instances were he acts like an advisor to Shao Kahn and that's very interesting, but they do almost nothing with it. In the end he's just another enforcer that gets his ass kicked.

Cetrion is trash. The marketing about her was misleading, she is incredibly dumb and in the end she's just another Shinnok but way less cooler.
Geras made sense in the context of the timelines being unique so he hadn't died those ways before. He's a little wonky on the power scaling in cutscenes versus fights, but that's pretty par for the course in MK stories.

Kollector literally could not have existed and been replaced by some other Shao Kahn worshipper with no difference. He has 0 personality or background aside from choking on Shao schlong and being greedy. I'm all for NRS adding more races present in Outworld due to all the thousands of years of Shao's empire conquests, but Kollector was so bad I cant even say they dropped the ball because the ball wasnt even ever picked up.

I'm on the fence about Cetrion. I like her being obedient and seeing virtue in her mother's plan of a perfect timeline, but there's no virtue in sacrificing an infinite amount of people across however many realms who all have no awareness or say in the matter. I think she should have had at least SOME sort of personal dilemma seeing what her mother's work was doing to people en masse. Her being a mindless robot minion for Kronika was sad to watch.

This I can agree with. Not really all that creative to just impose time travel as a way to resurrect characters they had previously killed. I never palyed the 3D era but it is weird that at this point aside from Fujin, we haven't seen any of those characters brought back. I haven't heard much good about that era so I don't know if its just cause the characters were all boring and forgettable or if has to do with those games basically being ignored with the restart in MK9 but there has to be at least a few they bring in.
Actually this era was very crucial in my love for Mk. There was something about deadly alliance and deception that pulled me more into this game. The konquest mode in deception was so much fun. The unlockable characters and other modes. I think it was considered bad because there was nothing unique to the characters fighting style as they all play the same. But they brought back bo rai cho and Tanya and kenshi in mkx and did very good job and now with fujin and frost. I believe everyone needs another chance even Hsu Hao. Hell they gave Jacqui 2 chances and she is the worst character so i think every character will be good

xKMMx

Banned
The problem with MK stories trying to establish actual character arcs with any sense of drama is that they often just handwave it all away in service of whatever plot device they need. As a result, there's zero sense of consequence or conflict with any and all character development.
100 percent this is the only thing I don't like about those modes.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
My story mode keeps freezing on reign end and I cant skip the cutscene I think my xbox was updating while I was in story mode I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling any help??

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Self-loathing, lol. Being a straight white male not being also looked down on. If that's the ONLY part you all focused on you REALLY missed the point. Um, try having a conversation with a feminist or any person that suffers prejudice and even when you are on their side they STILL say that you have NO right to complain about the state of the world because YOU are at fault for everything wrong with it. Which would be a feat considering I'm old but I'm not old enough to have invented prejudice. EVERY race, etc. experiences prejudice. It doesn't matter if you took all of it away, humans suck and will invent new reasons to hate and hurt each other. But that was NOT even the stupid point of ANY of that. Just the only part you want to personally come at me about because it offended you, lol. Kitana being regarded as a weakling and "just a stupid princess" doesn't bother you hypocrites at ALL though? @Jynks, Um, I believe I was HOPING not to be? That should have been obvious by my annoyance at the overabundance of people of this forum COMPLAINING that she DARED to be capable of beating the great and manly Shao Kahn? But no. MY race/sexuality is the part you should be offended about. Riiiight.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Bloodfang said:
Am I the ONLY person that isn't so sexist that I was happy to actually see Kitana get the win over Shao Kahn without Liu Kang to do ALL of her fighting for her?
Jynks: yeah... your completely unique and not a single other person liked Kitana taking out Shao Khan and eveyone that didn't is sexist... /s

This was your response to me a while back. My response to that response:

@Jynks, Um, I believe I was HOPING not to be? That should have been obvious by my annoyance at the overabundance of people of this forum COMPLAINING that she DARED to be capable of beating the great and manly Shao Kahn?

Which part are you struggling with?

Jynks: yeah... your completely unique and not a single other person liked Kitana taking out Shao Khan and eveyone that didn't is sexist... /s

This was your response to me a while back. My response to that response:

@Jynks, Um, I believe I was HOPING not to be? That should have been obvious by my annoyance at the overabundance of people of this forum COMPLAINING that she DARED to be capable of beating the great and manly Shao Kahn?

Which part are you struggling with?
Please leave us with your liberal propaganda

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
right.. I get it .. your insane.. and kinda stupid as well. That's cool. I'm sure you do not even notice. You'll be fine.
I'm the insane and stupid one because you chose an insult as a response to a statement you apparently also share the sentiment of but didn't like my use of ONLY to express the lack of anyone else responding negatively to people saying Kitana didn't have what it takes to beat Shao Kahn?

--------
Am I the ONLY person that isn't so sexist that I was happy to actually see Kitana get the win over Shao Kahn without Liu Kang to do ALL of her fighting for her? She's 10,000 years old and trained as a warrior-assassin for most of it for fuck's sake. She shouldn't need a 20-something year old monk from Earth to be her savior. It was about time she finally got treated as something other than Outworld's Princess Peach to Kang's Mario. Of course they go right back to her being utterly naive and worthless but just ehhhh.

This the only part I actually intended to post, lol. However, responses like @Ramichaura1 "Please leave us with your liberal propaganda" is literally the reason I specifically called out my race, etc. and complete lack of uber- liberal SJW agenda as I'm not, lol.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I'm the insane and stupid one because you chose an insult as a response to a statement you apparently also share the sentiment of but didn't like my use of ONLY to express the lack of anyone else responding negatively to people saying Kitana didn't have what it takes to beat Shao Kahn?

--------
Am I the ONLY person that isn't so sexist that I was happy to actually see Kitana get the win over Shao Kahn without Liu Kang to do ALL of her fighting for her? She's 10,000 years old and trained as a warrior-assassin for most of it for fuck's sake. She shouldn't need a 20-something year old monk from Earth to be her savior. It was about time she finally got treated as something other than Outworld's Princess Peach to Kang's Mario. Of course they go right back to her being utterly naive and worthless but just ehhhh.

This the only part I actually intended to post, lol. However, responses like @Ramichaura1 "Please leave us with your liberal propaganda" is literally the reason I specifically called out my race, etc. and complete lack of uber- liberal SJW agenda as I'm not, lol.

Espio

Kokomo
Whether you liked or disliked the story, please leave all political dialogue out of it as it has a tendency to lead to foolish outcomes. We can articulate whatever point we are trying to articulate without mentioning what we identify as or not. This has nothing to do with the story themes so has no purpose as part of the discourse.

As for your point about Kitana Bloodfang, Liu Kang, Sonya, Johnny, Kotal, Kung Lao, Jade, Cassie all jobbed in this story this time. Kitana beating Shao Kahn is still part of the canon and nothing can change that.

Kitana defeated Shao Kahn, Mileena etc without Liu Kang in this timeline and prior timelines. Comparing her to princess Peach makes no sense. Kitana has always been putting people on their necks.

As for any other aggressive comments, please refrain from them. This goes for everyone.

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Whether you liked or disliked the story, please leave all political dialogue out of it as it has a tendency to lead to foolish outcomes. We can articulate whatever point we are trying to articulate without mentioning what we identify as or not. This has nothing to do with the story themes so has no purpose as part of the discourse.

As for your point about Kitana Bloodfang, Liu Kang, Sonya, Johnny, Kotal, Kung Lao, Jade, Cassie all jobbed in this story this time. Kitana beating Shao Kahn is still part of the canon and nothing can change that.

Kitana defeated Shao Kahn, Mileena etc without Liu Kang in this timeline and prior timelines. Comparing her to princess Peach makes no sense. Kitana has always been putting people on their necks.

As for any other aggressive comments, please refrain from them.

You are absolutely correct, sir. However, my initial post was a complaint that others keep complaining that she should not have been able to in the first place. Why not? The princess peach remark was because until that moment the only part she had played in any post MK4 storyline was being kidnapped or enslaved. Despite being a 10,000 year old elite warrior-assassin. I was on the receiving end of the "aggressive comments" but if you disagree I'm not going to argue with you on it. I'm certainly insane but I'm not stupid.

Espio

Kokomo
You are absolutely correct, sir. However, my initial post was a complaint that others keep complaining that she should not have been able to in the first place. Why not? The princess peach remark was because until that moment the only part she had played in any post MK4 storyline was being kidnapped or enslaved. Despite being a 10,000 year old elite warrior-assassin. I was on the receiving end of the "aggressive comments" but if you disagree I'm not going to argue with you on it. I'm certainly insane but I'm not stupid.
If you recall, what happened to Liu Kang post MK4? KILLED, DEAD AND ENSLAVED. Liu Kang been the poster boy slaying people from the beginning. After Deadly Alliance, all the major heroes joined Liu Kang in death including Johnny, Jax, Kung Lao, Sonya etc. It's not like only Kitana was killed, beaten down or defeated or treated like a princess. NRS then proceeded to kill all the characters again in Armageddon and then kill them all AGAIN in MK9, one canon game later lol.

There's no conspiracy gender or otherwise directed at Kitana. She got treated like her popular male counterparts in those games and she scalped: Mileena, Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung, etc in this and prior timelines.

Some people can't handle the L's their faves took and that's just what it boils down to overall. I still have people telling me that Sonya can't beat Bi-Han even though it happened.

Even for people unhappy with Kitana winning, Kotal also battled Shao Kahn prior to her taking him on too so they can claim that's why Kitana won if it makes them feel better

Well the people insulting you have been warned as well, the behavior cannot continue but also this is not the environment for political commentary.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
@Espio. That is also absolutely true, lol. They've shat on all of their characters sadly. No fan was spared. I just don't see the argument of Liu Kang can't beat so and so because well he's Liu Kang and of course he can, lol.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
My story mode keeps freezing on reign end and I cant skip the cutscene I think my xbox was updating while I was in story mode I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling any help??
Yup.
Go into “Settings”

Unplug your XBox from the power source, and all attached devices.

Throw your XBox in the goddamned trash.
Buy a PS4.
PROFIT.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I wish they bring back sassy Raiden from the '90s in the future. I like his wise demeanor and all, but a little more fun would be nice.
Fujin is pretty much EXACTLY that. Down-to-earth, humane, and has a sense of humor. As fun as the Blunder God memes are, NRS-era Raiden is really nothing like he originally was.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
@Espio. That is also absolutely true, lol. They've shat on all of their characters sadly. No fan was spared. I just don't see the argument of Liu Kang can't beat so and so because well he's Liu Kang and of course he can, lol.
Actually I remember Shinnok's defeat being a topic of discussion somewhere around 2004/2006. The focus of the debates being whether Liu Kang was strong enough to defeat Shinnok, and if Shinnok thinking he had the amulet while only having a fake had an impact on the outcome of the fight.

God, I'm old... :p

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Actually I remember Shinnok's defeat being a topic of discussion somewhere around 2004/2006. The focus of the debates being whether Liu Kang was strong enough to defeat Shinnok, and if Shinnok thinking he had the amulet while only having a fake had an impact on the outcome of the fight.

God, I'm old... :p
LMAO, I am also damn old but most fans that I knew A) knew the Amulet was fake and B) thought Shinnok was too lame to NOT lose. That's a whole 'nother debate I'm not starting trouble with Shinnok fans here that is just what alot of people said back in the arcade in the MK4 days.

Zviko

Noob
The only problem I have with the Aftermath story is that Liu Kang's ending is most likely canon. Cmon, let the bad guy win for once. It's not just anyone, it's fucking Shang Tsung!

Or even better, if both endings can somehow work together. Then we can see history repeat itself. The Great Kung Lao finally defeating Shang Tsung. The story we all know but didn't get to see yet.