What's new

Aftermath DLC Story Mode spoiler discussion

Zviko

Noob
I watched it on YT. I loved it but I'm biased towards Sindel and Shang lol. I do like the fact that you play the evil side for a change as well. Also, Mara and Cary are such a good voice actors. No wonder why they got so much screen time. I hope they keep them forever.

xKMMx

Banned
It just felt a little exploitive to me. Basically a chance to show all the hero characters getting their stuffing knocked out, and then be like "oh it didn't actually matter". It just came off more like a fan power fantasy than good storytelling.
That's what I mean when I say they need to have the balls to kill these fuckers off for good if they are gonna die. I thought the story was cool and all but theres little to know suspense due to the fact that nothing matters.
And everything always has to revolve around LK and his good guy shit.
I honestly would kill Scorpion and Subzero retire Johnny Cage and fucking write Raiden out. everyone was so aghast that Sonya died in the beginning of the original MK11 story but why? She will be back. Mileena died in MKX she will be in Mk12 whenever it happens. MK2 had ultra balls to not bring back Kano and Sonya but they popped up in MK3 and Scorpion was gone. I just don't see why not develop new characters and have them be a new generation. I think they wanted to do that with the Kombat kids but backed off when there was so much push back because the characters outside of Cassie were so unpopular for good reason.

That's what I mean when I say they need to have the balls to kill these fuckers off for good if they are gonna die. I thought the story was cool and all but theres little to know suspense due to the fact that nothing matters.
I honestly would kill Scorpion and Subzero retire Johnny Cage and fucking write Raiden out. everyone was so aghast that Sonya died in the beginning of the original MK11 story but why? She will be back. Mileena died in MKX she will be in Mk12 whenever it happens. MK2 had ultra balls to not bring back Kano and Sonya but they popped up in MK3 and Scorpion was gone. I just don't see why not develop new characters and have them be a new generation. I think they wanted to do that with the Kombat kids but backed off when there was so much push back because the characters outside of Cassie were so unpopular for good reason.
Kill Scorpion and Sub zero?. Thank god you have no say in Mortal kombat games

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Cary Tagawa was god like, squeezed so much out of every line. I also really enjoy Fire God Liu Kang. All of the characters you play as had great characterization. Shao and Sindel conquering while lovingly arm and arm was fun. I have complaints and nitpicks, but I enjoyed it more then the base story and I'm excited that the next game will have more focused story telling, whether it's a fighter or not.

Kronika is the worst boss fight in Mortal Kombat history

xKMMx

Banned
Kill Scorpion and Sub zero?. Thank god you have no say in Mortal kombat games
Lol believe me I get it. They are the "cornerstones of the franchise". But iots so fucking old already. 30 years of the game centering around the same two pricks and LK. People Like me that have been playing MK since the first game was only available in arcades have seen this shit for a long time. I cant speak for others but I am personally bored of the original 7.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Story plot wise was pretty disappointing and nonsensical (like the main story) but a lot of the characterization scenes are solid. Standouts are Shang Tsung, Sindel, Shao Kahn with honorable nods to Fujin and Nightwolf. Sheeva was disappointingly one-note and basically good guy jobber status.

The problem with MK stories trying to establish actual character arcs with any sense of drama is that they often just handwave it all away in service of whatever plot device they need. As a result, there's zero sense of consequence or conflict with any and all character development.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Lol believe me I get it. They are the "cornerstones of the franchise". But iots so fucking old already. 30 years of the game centering around the same two pricks and LK. People Like me that have been playing MK since the first game was only available in arcades have seen this shit for a long time. I cant speak for others but I am personally bored of the original 7.
Doesn't even center on Sub and Scorp (despite having probably the most lore attached to them). They've had minor roles in all 3 modern MK games. Liu, Sonya, Johnny, and Raiden are the 4/7 that have major relevance to the plot.

Scorpion and
Scorpion and sub zero are different from all characters they are literally like Batman and Superman. Also they were never the main character of any mk story

Well, these characters are the exact reason for people being here since the beginning. Why would you still follow if you are bored of the very core?

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
So... my thoughts... It’s clear that was a huge hook for a future chapter, so the various loose ends can still be explained and worked on. Ok.

But only I had the impression that the two endings are canonical? For the history, Shang's ending seems much more canonical. But would it be absurd to think that Liu's ending would be his plan? Remember, when the group sets out on their journey through time, Liu stops Raiden from going with them because "he needs help". What if this "help" is going back in time and bringing Great Kung Lao back (a warrior who is known and respected for inspiring so many others) or something more dense like training him to change the beginning of everything (as his defeat at Shang's hands opened the ten consecutive victories until the invasion was allowed)?

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Raiden, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Johnny Cage are some of the cornerstone characters of the franchise. If you can't stand them so much and want them out then perhaps you are playing the wrong game. That's like being a Marvel fan and saying you want Thor, Captain America, Hulk, and Iron Man out or being a DC fan and wanting Superman and Batman out. Those characters define their corresponding franchises, what's more, they are the franchise. And in the case of Marvel and DC, they've been around for much longer than MK characters.

I like the original best. Raiden is of course my favorite and really is one of the best in the franchise. If he is not in a future MK game, guess what, WB/NRS is most likely not getting my money.

xKMMx

Banned
Raiden, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Johnny Cage are some of the cornerstone characters of the franchise. If you can't stand them so much and want them out then perhaps you are playing the wrong game. That's like being a Marvel fan and saying you want Thor, Captain America, Hulk, and Iron Man out or being a DC fan and wanting Superman and Batman out. Those characters define their corresponding franchises, what's more, they are the franchise. And in the case of Marvel and DC, they've been around for much longer than MK characters.

I like the original best. Raiden is of course my favorite and really is one of the best in the franchise. If he is not in a future MK game, guess what, WB/NRS is most likely not getting my money.
From a guy that stans out on Raiden I'd expect nothing less lol.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
Kronika is the worst boss fight in Mortal Kombat history
I really like Kronika's voice, look, and design. I kind of just wish she fought normally - feet on the ground style. Imagine if, by being Time's Keeper, she had the knowledge of all of history's greatest fighting techniques, and switched styles in a free-form fashion, while keeping the freeze/reverse mechanics. But yeah, "floaty lady with projectiles" didn't really work for me.

I did like seeing a villain who thought that they were the hero though.
And she might have the best boss death scene in MK history.

xKMMx

Banned
Well, these characters are the exact reason for people being here since the beginning. Why would you still follow if you are bored of the very core?
Cause they have other characters that I can play that I do like? Lol. Pretty easy answer there bubba. I think you may be missing my point. Im not saying this idea would get all the sheep to buy the game cause clearly a lot of people will buy the game every time they put it out regardless of how much of a recycle it is character wise. And I get it man no franchise yet has done what Im suggesting. I guess what Im talking about is probably too far beyond for anyone's imagination to accept but I personally think it would be cool to see the game continue to progress and phase out old characters.

xKMMx

Banned
Doesn't even center on Sub and Scorp (despite having probably the most lore attached to them). They've had minor roles in all 3 modern MK games. Liu, Sonya, Johnny, and Raiden are the 4/7 that have major relevance to the plot.
Yea when was the last time they did things right and put Scorpion on the cov...er, oh wait.....Every fucking game!!!
When will they let those guys in the trail... oh shit never mind one of them is in every trailer.
Ok ok there's gotta be some way we can find where the game isn't centered around Scorp and Subzero... lets think here.
When will they make Subzero and Scorpion the first characters you land on in character sel... oh yea every game too.
Yea you got me here man those guys get no love.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yea when was the last time they did things right and put Scorpion on the cov...er, oh wait.....Every fucking game!!!
When will they let those guys in the trail... oh shit never mind one of them is in every trailer.
Ok ok there's gotta be some way we can find where the game isn't centered around Scorp and Subzero... lets think here.
When will they make Subzero and Scorpion the first characters you land on in character sel... oh yea every game too.
Yea you got me here man those guys get no love.
I'm not saying they get no love, they are just the most marketable characters. They're pushed for how iconic they are, but not within the game its self is what I mean. If Baraka and Kabal were the first characters the cursor landed on that wouldn't do anything for them or do anything to Sub and Scorpion.

I'd be up for a multiverse thing where they have different versions without them maybe. Like how DC comics Earth 2 killed off Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, and shows how the justice league would cope without them.

Resistible

MK fan since '92
Just played the aftermath story and hell, what a great ride. Playing as villains was great. I understand why some people are still angry about Sindel but I really enjoy her new storyline.

Can't remember if it was on here that I suggested MK12 might be the original tournament with the Great Kung Lao but if the hero side is canon than that seems to be what they're hinting towards.

With the little comment that Shang sent Geras to Chaosrealm and Havik will deal with him, I'm hoping to see Havik in KP2

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
From a guy that stans out on Raiden I'd expect nothing less lol.
Let me clear up a few misconceptions and misunderstandings about Raiden's role in the MK story that I saw a couple of pages back.

1. Thousands of years before the events of Mortal Kombat, Raiden fought and defeated Shinnok and trapped him in the Netherealm, thus saving Earthrealm from enslavement or complete destruction, saving billions upon billions of human lives in the process.
  2. Shortly before Mortal Kombat, Raiden guided the original Sub-Zero (in the events of Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero) in retrieving Shinnok's amulet so he wouldn't escape, thus again preventing the fallen Elder God from causing immense devastation and loss of human life.
  3. During the events of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II, Raiden successfully guided Earth's warriors in defeating Shang Tsung and Shao Khan and thus, yet again, saving Earthrealm from conquest and destruction.
  4. During the events of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Raiden assumed a mortal form, thus risking his life, so he can help Earth's warriors fight off Shao Khan's merging of Earthrealm with Outworld. This is the first time, in the events we've seen in MK games so far, Raiden risked his godhood and his life for Earthrealm.
  5. After the events of Mortal Kombat 4, Raiden ascended to the pantheon of Elder Gods, as a reward for protecting Earthrealm from the forces of evil for many millennia. However, sometime later he gave up his status as an Elder God so he can once again protect Earthrealm, this time from the combined forces of Quan Chi and Shang Tsung (during the events of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance). This is the second time he gives up status and powers to protect human life.
  6. Immediately before the events of Mortal Kombat Deception, Raiden sacrificed himself in order to stop Onaga and protect Earthrealm.
  7. Right after the events of Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Raiden sent a message to himself from a few years back, in order to hopefully figure out a way to stop Shao Khan for good. We don't know what happened to him, in the original timeline, right after that. Maybe Shao Khan delivered a heavy blow to him and then sometimes later his energies reassembled, just like in MK Deception, or maybe he was able to fight off Shao Khan.
  8. During the events of Mortal Kombat 9, Raiden realized that the only way to stop Shao Khan for good was to allow him to win his illegitimate invasion of Earthrealm so that the Elder Gods would intervene and help Raiden to destroy Shao Khan. He tried to tell Liu Kang that, but Liu Kang wouldn't listen which led to Raiden inadvertently killing Liu Kang. Once more Raiden succeeded in saving Earthrealm from the forces of evil.
  9. During Mortal Kombat X, Raiden one more time showed his willingness to sacrifice himself for Earthrealm, when he stood in the middle of the corrupted Jinsei, while Cassie Cage fought against Shinnok. By doing that, he succeeded one more time in saving Earthrealm from Shinnok (for the third time).
  10. In Mortal Kombat 11 it was shown that it was Raiden who time and time again had thwarted Kronika's designs for achieving complete control of all realms and all beings. That's why she was so fixated on him. When faced with the possibility of Liu Kang being killed once again, Raiden couldn't allow it, so he sacrificed his godhood to save Liu Kang and to stop the cycle of the timeline being reset over and over again.
The point being, Raiden has sacrificed his godhood and risked his life for Earthrealm many times over many millenia and not only that, he has succeeded many times in defeating the forces of evil and has saved untold numbers of human (and other species for that matter) lives in the process. With all of that said, Raiden is one of the most dedicated and effective characters in Mortal Kombat history, when it comes to thwarting off various villains and saving innocent lives. That is why he was the Protector of Earthrealm for many millenia.

Last edited:

xKMMx

Banned
Scorpion and
Scorpion and sub zero are different from all characters they are literally like Batman and Superman. Also they were never the main character of any mk story
Yea I get it dude like I said I know its not a popular idea but its what I would love to see happen cause like in a show where a main character is just waxed unexpectedly never to return I takes balls but with good creativity you can replace them and even elevate the franchise.
I ve never understood why Noob is never explored more. His story could be way fuckin interesting. But ya know we can always get another episode of the Cage family leading the charge to save the world with Jax batting clean up.
And its just as enthralling everytime. That's why I loved Aftermath so much. Hardly any Cage family or special forces involvement to speak of.

xKMMx

Banned
Let me clear up a few misconceptions and misunderstandings about Raiden's role in the MK story that I saw a couple of pages back.

1. Thousands of years before the events of Mortal Kombat, Raiden fought and defeated Shinnok and locked him in his (Shinnok's) amulet, thus saving Earthrealm from enslavement or complete destruction, saving billions upon billions of human lives in the process.
  2. Shortly before Mortal Kombat, Raiden guided the original Sub-Zero (in the events of Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero) in retrieving Shinnok's amulet so he wouldn't escape, thus again preventing the fallen Elder God from causing immense devastation and loss of human life.
  3. During the events of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II, Raiden successfully guided Earth's warriors in defeating Shang Tsung and Shao Khan and thus, yet again, saving Earthrealm from conquest and destruction.
  4. During the events of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Raiden assumed a mortal form, thus risking his life, so he can help Earth's warriors fight off Shao Khan's merging of Earthrealm with Outworld. This is the first time, in the events we've seen in MK games so far, Raiden risked his godhood and his life for Earthrealm.
  5. After the events of Mortal Kombat 4, Raiden ascended to the pantheon of Elder Gods, as a reward for protecting Earthrealm from the forces of evil for many millennia. However, sometime later he gave up his status as an Elder God so he can once again protect Earthrealm, this time from the combined forces of Quan Chi and Shang Tsung (during the events of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance). This is the second time he gives up status and powers to protect human life.
  6. Immediately before the events of Mortal Kombat Deception, Raiden sacrificed himself in order to stop Onaga and protect Earthrealm.
  7. Right after the events of Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Raiden sent a message to himself from a few years back, in order to hopefully figure out a way to stop Shao Khan for good. We don't know what happened to him, in the original timeline, right after that. Maybe Shao Khan delivered a heavy blow to him and then sometimes later his energies reassembled, just like in MK Deception, or maybe he was able to fight off Shao Khan.
  8. During the events of Mortal Kombat 9, Raiden realized that the only way to stop Shao Khan for good was to allow him to win his illegitimate invasion of Earthrealm so that the Elder Gods would intervene and help Raiden to destroy Shao Khan. He tried to tell Liu Kang that, but Liu Kang wouldn't listen which led to Raiden inadvertently killing Liu Kang. Once more Raiden succeeded in saving Esrthrealm from the forces of evil.
  9. During Mortal Kombat X, Raiden one more time showed his willingness to sacrifice himself for Earthrealm, when he stood in the middle of the corrupted Jinsei, while Cassie Cage fought against Shinnok. By doing that, he succeeded one more time in saving Earthrealm from Shinnok (for the third time).
  10. In Mortal Kombat 11 it was shown that it was Raiden who time and time again had thwarted Kronika's designs for achieving complete control of all realms and all beings. That's why she was so focused on him. When faced with the possibility of Liu Kang being killed once again, Raiden couldn't allow it so he sacrificed his godhood to save Liu Kang and to stop the cycle of the timeline being reset over and over again.
The point being, Raiden has sacrificed his godhood and risked his life for Earthrealm many times over many millenia and not only that, he has succeeded many times in defeating the forces of evil and has saved untold numbers of human (and other species for that matter) lives in the process. With all of that said, Raiden is one of the most dedicated and effective characters in Mortal Kombat history, when it comes to thwarting off various villains and saving innocent lives. That is why he was the Protector of Earthrealm for many millenia.
You need to get out more. Lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Can't remember if it was on here that I suggested MK12 might be the original tournament with the Great Kung Lao but if the hero side is canon than that seems to be what they're hinting towards.
That could be pretty cool. I think someone else had mentioned it, but essentially have a Mortal Kombat Alpha, where they could bring in a ton of "new" characters from the older lore.