What's new

About the "No Nerfs, Just Buffs" Thing...

as someone who's played a lot of different FGs seriously for years, i used to buy into the "never nerf, just buff" concept

and then i saw games like marvel 3

at this point, i've come to believe that making everyone overly powerful can potentially reduce the amount of viable strategy in the game. that is, you can create a game that is balanced yet dumbed-down overall - this was the effect of a lot of sirlin's changes in SSF2T HD Remix, for instance. it can often create a lot of "autopilot" situations or what anime FG players call "set play" (that is, one player does something and the opponent has no options besides blocking, or even taking the hit if it's an unblockable). set play is one of the main reasons many top players hate marvel 3, even if they don't say so on streams, and that is definitely a game that fits the sort of design philosophy a lot of this forum has been espousing lately. heck, the relative lack of set play in MK9 compared to marvel and SF4 is one of the major reasons i loved that game!

on the other hand, i would argue that SF4 is a game that has been harmed in the long run through excessive nerfs, and i am sure most people here would have an easier time understanding why this would be the case. my point here is that both of these philosophies can reduce strategy when applied wrongly - nerfs through taking away interesting options altogether, and buffs through adding simpler but more powerful options that can make the more interesting ones effectively useless.

blind adherence to one of these is not the stuff great games are made of...

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
We're having a conversation about whiff punishing and you're talking about it being blocked but whiff punished.

...okay.
I'm glad I didn't have to be the one to say this. Because I would've been a real dick about it lol.

Reactions: RYX
correct, no idea where the no nerfs, just buffs thing came from.

If there is something that is obviously out of wack in comparision to other characters or too far off from the original intention of the character, then we will than likely address it.

TBFT the whole intent with the flow of the game was to have all the characters feel borderline-OD./
It's relieving to see colt has his head on straight. I had heard of this ludicrous buff only talk and am glad that it's false. Just from a logical stand point if there is a problem with one character it makes a lot more sense to nerf him/her than it does to buff every other character in the cast. And if you were to continue with that logic before you know it every character is just basically god mode, nobody dies. I think the issue is a lot of players are feeding off of fear, with the word nerf comes a negative connentation. What it essentially should mean is balance, and most will agree that balancing is fantastic. It lets the game keep options open and players have variety. What has happened over time (and this isn't just subject to NRS titles) is that characters/classes/heroes have gotten nerfed in games to the point that they suck, and the problem isn't that they got nerfed it's that after it was deemed that they were nerfed too hard they were never readjusted. I think players in general would not be so afraid of nerfs if they knew that the staff behind the nerfs were still monitoring their character and willing to make some buff adjustments if needed. Based on Colts level of involvement with the community already I'm optimistic that this will happen (at least for the foreseeable near future).

Buff walk speeds, recovery after a forward dash (for most characters), and give some characters meterless dash cancelable normals.

Wish you could be able to MB qcf/qcb + 3 dash cancel, mid string and actually be able to extend ground combo strings with that. :( A roman cancel would be nice too. :(

Other than that, I think the game is fine.

A slight Doomsday nerf (making ground pound a bit slower so u can react and block both hits...especially mid string), would be iight tho. :p

I do think that a lot of interactable objects are strong and the cool down on them should take a little bit longer. However, that doesn't mean I don't like them because I think they are fun to play with and changes the meta game on a fight.

I know it's not going to ever happen, but I do wish they had a parry system for interactable objects even if it causes some meter. I mean the game is filled superheroes/villains and yet they can't simply destroy a barrel being thrown at them but have to dodge everything.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
If you get hit with an intractable you deserve to lose the 15-20% it currently stands at..... When Superman throws a car on you.. IT IS SUPPOSE TO HURT!!!

Does deathstrokes vortex come from a move which is 50 trillion invulnerability frames on wake up, advancing. hit box lowering, low hitting and safe?

You can push block deathstroke away. Push block frost? She'll slide back in. And the moment you block that slide, you're back in that 50/50 situation.
50/50 after a blocked slide? I guess if you wanna just stand there...you're the one who has the advantage though.

Chengler

Milky Holmes
Who do you main? I can D1 xx Sword Spin and KF can't do anything about it but block.
Her frame disadvantage is -4

Your D1 is unlikely to be 4 frames fast. However, I do think lows can stop her.

Trouble is, most of the cast don't get low hitting D1s.

kronspik

Noob
it can often create a lot of "autopilot" situations or what anime FG players call "set play" (that is, one player does something and the opponent has no options besides blocking, or even taking the hit if it's an unblockable).
Whoa. I didn't know there was a phase for this. That's awesome.