What's new

[A MESSAGE FROM EVO STAFF] EVO 2016 MKXL - PLAYER SEEDING, WHO SHOULD THE TOP SEEDS BE?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I think some people are putting too much weight into ESL btw. I don't think any online tournaments should count towards a ranking system (not to mention they're single slim).

For example, Toxin, while I love the guy, I feel he's being ranked really high by people solely because of ESL. He hasn't achieved any offline top 8s yet. Is he a strong contender? Definitely. Does he deserve a top seed? Probably not. In a list of 32 players it is surely possible but not in a top 10 or top 15.

Even just using ESL Finals top 16 is still not accurate. I think it's clear that competition in NA is stronger than anywhere else. The amount of people that could qualify for the tournament wasn't completely balanced from each region. We even had an extra 3 Europeans that went cause 3 Russians couldn't get visas.
I agree when I made my list I put toxin too high and it was based off Esl.

IMO I missed that one but all others I feel good about

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
Yeah ESL shouldn't have that much weight honestly. If im Seeded or not you guys will get caged at my second major since scr :cool:

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Also in Honor of the Red Fist Avatar Movement of 2013-2015 every tournament is always to be judged equal to evey other tournament

Reap what you sewed EC and Red Fister Brigade

You cannot go back now

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
After looking over the SRK rankings, I retract my previous statement. It's not accurate.

It would be better to use Pig or KP or probably Indecisives upcoming list to determine seeding. I don't agree with every placing Pig, KP or other people used but it's still better than SRK.
I am okay with this, which is why I encourage people to make lists so we can find the most accepted medium. While I am content with my list (and I state you can move a couple names up or down a spot), I'm not the end all, be all. No one man should be.

Kitana Prime

Making a Spreadsheet atm with amount of top 8's and such. Will include ESL results as well. Have 50 people atm. Will cut it down if they have no results. That should hopefully help me get a better top 32 list. the SRK list has KP at 28 with no offline top 8's but pnut not even in the top 50 with 3 offline top 8's. SRK decided to include locals randomly. So idk. its weird. Pls don't be mad KP i love you dude.
I'm not mad, I'd have Pnut above me as well.

Kitana Prime

1) No player who's playing in a tournament should have input into who they think should be seeded where. Lebron James doesn't get to make or influence the playoff rules while he's playing in the tournament. No sport works that way, for obvious reasons.
Lebron plays in a standard league with a system in place already to determine playoff seeding (W/L), there is no place for literally anyone to influence.

2) All methods should be clear, explicitly spelled out. No one should just be saying "Here's my list, in my opinion". It's "here are the specific events that are included, here's exactly how it was calculated". That way it's clear to everybody and not just "how I feel it should be".
I can detail all my choices

3) Everyone should agree on a cutoff time period, where beyond that events don't count. Not a grey "recent stuff" but a solid time period, like 9 months/8 months/whatever. That way everyone knows the cutoff and there's no confusion.
I agree.

4) We should use this approach at all majors -- not just EVO. A TO should never have to ask or invent their own method of determining the top seeds for MKX tournaments.
I agree in one system that seeds all majors.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
I think setting up a system that seeds all majors is a goal that's worth working towards, but for now a good list with criteria the majority of the community effectively agrees on is probably a good way to start developing such a list

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
I really think SRK should be used instead of TYM. I whole heartedly agree with @Pig Of The Hut and @16 Bit

@nothingxs @PheNOM07

Also, I might have something to make pool assignments easier if you guys are interested. An Excel spreadsheet was made with the idea to note which pools need some changing. Only if you guys think it would help.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I really think SRK should be used instead of TYM. I whole heartedly agree with @Pig Of The Hut and @16 Bit

@nothingxs @PheNOM07

Also, I might have something to make pool assignments easier if you guys are interested. An Excel spreadsheet was made with the idea to note which pools need some changing. Only if you guys think it would help.
In the last thread we talked about the srk system and its very bad. There players who are ranked incorrectly because they are under 2 names. players that havent played the game in 6 months that are still ranked higher than current players that get consistent top 8s. some players have their locals giving them points. some players have top 16/32 giving them points while other dont. its just very inconsitent and not goo to go off of.

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
In the last thread we talked about the srk system and its very bad. There players who are ranked incorrectly because they are under 2 names. players that havent played the game in 6 months that are still ranked higher than current players that get consistent top 8s. some players have their locals giving them points. some players have top 16/32 giving them points while other dont. its just very inconsitent and not goo to go off of.
I can see that. I am not too familiar with how SRK manages their lists. After looking at your list as well as Pig's it seems much clearer and easier to read.

At the end of the day, they (EVO) need to follow one of these lists. But asking TYM for their opinions is NOT the way to do things. In any other community, I can see that idea working.

But uh....we are....special....

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I can see that. I am not too familiar with how SRK manages their lists. After looking at your list as well as Pig's it seems much clearer and easier to read.

At the end of the day, they (EVO) need to follow one of these lists. But asking TYM for their opinions is NOT the way to do things. In any other community, I can see that idea working.

But uh....we are....special....
The list i made wasn't my Top 32 list. It was just a list showing how many top 8's people had. That way people could use it to help make their own top 32. I didn't make a top 32 cause people would be butt hurt.

IMO the main issue with SRk is their is very little to no point deterioration. If there was the list would probably be more accurate.

I agree asking TYm is very risky. Cause their will always be a slight bias. And we cannot agree on a lot.