What's new

[A MESSAGE FROM EVO STAFF] EVO 2016 MKXL - PLAYER SEEDING, WHO SHOULD THE TOP SEEDS BE?

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
Hello everyone!

I'm Andres and I'd like to say hello again! I'm not the TO for MKXL this year (I was last year and I was for Injustice the year before). I'm here to let you know though that Punnha (PheNOM07) is the the Tournament Organizer for MKXL this year at Evolution 2016.

I want to know who you think the top seeds should be! We did this in 2014 for Injustice, and y'all know I value the everlasting hell out of your input in this. Punnha and I will be collecting the data from these threads.

Please feel free to discuss in this thread! (Most importantly, try to keep it mostly civil.) I know this is a little short notice, but Punnha had a bunch of prior commitments to take care of and so did I -- we do want some preliminary stuff by June 24th, but we'll give ample time to review afterwards.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions or concerns and please spread this out like wildfire on social networks so we can get some SWEET data. I loved working with you TWO years in a row at EVO and I think this year is going to be dope as hell. Y'all are one of my favorite communities to work with along with KOF, and if anyone knows me, they know I wouldn't say that lightly!

This year we are looking for the TOP 32 seeds, as according to you, the community. Hit me and Punnha up on Twitter too (@nothingxs / @PheNOM07_).

Let's get this show on the road!!!

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hello everyone!

I'm Andres and I'd like to say hello again! I'm not the TO for MKXL this year (I was last year and I was for Injustice the year before). I'm here to let you know though that Punnha (PheNOM07) is the the Tournament Organizer for MKXL this year at Evolution 2016.

I want to know who you think the top seeds should be! We did this in 2014 for Injustice, and y'all know I value the everlasting hell out of your input in this. Punnha and I will be collecting the data from these threads.

Please feel free to discuss in this thread! (Most importantly, try to keep it mostly civil.) I know this is a little short notice, but Punnha had a bunch of prior commitments to take care of and so did I -- we do want some preliminary stuff by June 24th, but we'll give ample time to review afterwards.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions or concerns and please spread this out like wildfire on social networks so we can get some SWEET data. I loved working with you TWO years in a row at EVO and I think this year is going to be dope as hell. Y'all are one of my favorite communities to work with along with KOF, and if anyone knows me, they know I wouldn't say that lightly!

This year we are looking for the TOP 32 seeds, as according to you, the community. Hit me and Punnha up on Twitter too (@nothingxs / @PheNOM07_).

Let's get this show on the road!!!
@PheNOM07
In my opinion

1. Sonic Fox
2. Foxy Grampa
3. Dragon
4. Hayatei
5. Slayer
6. Scar
7. Honeybee
8. DJT
9. Toxin
10. Forever King
11. Noble Raptor
12. Pnut
13. Michaelangelo
14. Saltface
15. Woundcowboy
16. Biohazard
17. MIT
18. REO
19. Kitana Prime
20. Big D
21. Zyphox
22. Jupiter
23. Gunshow
24. Illusions
25. Pig of The Hut
26. Doctor Stabs
27. Coosco
28. Noobe
29. Perfect Legend
30. DJA Homies
31. Coach Steve
32. Dab

Some notes

Didn't list Madzin ,Ketchup, Storm or Mustard because it's my understanding they aren't going.

I may have forgotten 1-3 people, sue me.

In ALL HONESTY #s 15-32 can be put in 1000 different orders.

Hope this helps, just my .02 cents combining past and current results.

Also I agree with SRK rankings as well. Mine is actually kinda similar. I just checked it

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
Use the SRK rankings instead of asking TYM.
Hey man! Thanks for this input. To be completely honest, if you think we should use the SRK rankings, that's also completely valid. The reason I did this in 2014 and the reason I'm doing it now is because you know your game better than we do, and if you think SRK's rankings has it perfectly right, then all the more reason to tell us so.

We will always ask each community how they feel about seeding because we value the community's input over our own judgement in this regard.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
Didn't list Madzin ,Ketchup, Storm or Mustard because it's my understanding they aren't going.

Also I agree with SRK rankings as well. Mine is actually kinda similar. I just checked it
Thanks! I appreciate your input here.

For everyone else: you can assume everyone in the world is able to make it when you make this list, BTW, so you don't have to sweat whether some people can make it or not.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Thanks! I appreciate your input here.

For everyone else: you can assume everyone in the world is able to make it when you make this list, BTW, so you don't have to sweat whether some people can make it or not.
I second SRK seeding. I think that seeding lists should be as objective as possible, and that list is as close to neutral we can get in my opinion.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
1. Sonicfox
2.foxy grampa
3. Scar
4.Dragon
5.Hayatei
6.Red raptor
7.slayer
8.Djt
9. Forever king
10. Toxin

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I second SRK seeding. I think that seeding lists should be as objective as possible, and that list is as close to neutral we can get in my opinion.
@nothingxs this will be best because otherwise when people like myself give opinions @perfectlegend on Twitter happens but when Srk rankings has kept it REAL for 14 months it is what it is

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Opinions are qualitative can't argue quantitative data. SRK.
You can argue the weight that SRK gives each major considering its weighted according to capcom games as opposed to MK XL. It's also my understanding that the rankings don't reset after the year so it doesn't reflect seeding given the more current game and how people are playing now.

This is not to say I disagree with using SRK rankings, I think it's the most fair and logical choice tbh, just pointing out the arguments against using a ranking system like this.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
@nothingxs - The player pools / seeds are not even an issue. Please, please PLEASE consider changing the event to FT3/Bo5 (First to three / Best of Five) it is the tournament standard for MKx and it will greatly hurt the event not having the proper set counts. MKx is not Street Fighter 4, it is super fast and will not slow down everything.

You have a 50K pot bonus and the event is nearly as good as random if you play FT2 (Bo3)

Last edited:

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
@nothingxs - The player pools / seeds are not even an issue. Please, please PLEASE consider changing the event to FT3/Bo5 (First to three / Best of Five) it is the tournament standard for MKx and it will greatly hurt the event not having the proper set counts. MKx is not Street Fighter 4, it is super fast and will not slow down everything.

You have a 50K pot bonus and the event is nearly as good as random if you play F2T (Bo3)
This times 1000.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO

You have a 50K pot bonus and the event is nearly as good as random if you play F2T (Bo3)
I understand you and hear your concerns here, but the tournament rules have been locked for a very long time now. We locked the rules back in March. To avoid sounding like Iwata here (RIP), I'm gonna have to go with "please understand". We can't make that level of change right now.

emerc

Noob

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
I understand you and hear your concerns here, but the tournament rules have been locked for a very long time now. We locked the rules back in March. To avoid sounding like Iwata here (RIP), I'm gonna have to go with "please understand". We can't make that level of change right now.
I honestly didn't even know it was FT2. I just assumed it was FT3 as every tournament is with MKX.

When you say "that level of change" I am not sure what you mean. What I mean is, what would need to go into it to change the sets to FT3, besides just saying "For MKX sets are Ft3."? I don't run many tournaments so I may just be naive in thinking it is so simple.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
The rules were set in March (by people in charge) and time was allotted a certain way. Even if I wanted to make the change now, the rules being announced in March should have given plenty of time for players to prepare for the rules format.

It might seem simple but there's a lot of extra stuff that goes into it and, frankly, I don't make that level of call.

Jynks

Fair enough... but in the communities defence we have been asking this form the very 1st mention of MKx at evo2016 and BEGGING you guys to change this to Bo5 form the very 1st time you ever said it was Bo3.

MrWizard

Evo Master
Evo has a finite amount of time to execute an 11,000 man tournament. If we give MKX 3/5 then we have to give every game 3/5 and that turns Evo into a 7 day event.

Combo Breaker took 2 hours 10 mins to finish a 3/5 top 8 with no grand finals reset. You are looking at 2:30+ for a reset. If MK was a faster game, we could consider it.

Jynks

If we give MKX 3/5 then we have to give every game 3/5 and that turns Evo into a 7 day event.
Just out of curiosity why would you have to give every game 3/5 ?

MKx gets 3/5 in most events because (1) It is so quick. A 3/5 game can be finished in less time than it takes to step up the controllers. and (2) the game design is so momentum based that the extra run back is vital because there is no time during a match to actually develop conditioning or downloading of the opponent trends when you play Bo3.

I'm not saying you do not have a point. I am not a event organiser, and defiantly not experienced in something as huge as EVO, but it seams to me that saying "if MKx is Bo5, then every game is Bo5" is vastly misrepresenting games of the FGC, they are simply different games and Mkx require different event rules to make the competition fair.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069

MKx gets 3/5 in most events because (1) It is so quick. A 3/5 game can be finished in less time than it takes to step up the controllers. and (2) the game design is so momentum based that the extra run back is vital because there is no time during a match to actually develop conditioning or downloading of the opponent trends when you play Bo3.

I'm not saying you do not have a point. I am not a event organiser, and defiantly not experienced in something as huge as EVO, but it seams to me that saying "if MKx is Bo5, then every game is Bo5" is vastly misrepresenting games of the FGC, they are simply different games and Mkx require different event rules to make the competition fair.

2 and a half hours top 8 is not quick.

Let it go. They're not changing weeks of planning

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO

I hate to disagree, but a lot of the setup in MKX is part of why it takes so long (although this happens in most modern games nowadays anyway). SFV can also be a very fast game (due to the crazy high damage) but they still don't run 3/5 there except until near the end precisely for this reason.

Remember that we also take the time to do stuff like lay down an entire LAN for the MKX consoles to make sure everything's up to date and playing nicely because, historically, people back out a little too far, have to disable their wireless controllers, etc. etc. -- there's a lot of prep to making sure you can play a match of MKX. Same for a lot of other games, to be honest. Modern consoles aren't like the old days of plug it in and go hog wild after you fix your buttons. Menus and a bunch of shit just add like an extra minute and a half to every game, and while that seems trivial to you, it really adds up after a ton of matches.

At the end of the day there's only so much time.

Anyway, before we veer too far off into discussion about this, let's please try to keep ourselves focused in discussing seeding for top 32. I know a lot of you people are just suggesting the SRK rankings, but the more people who post agreeing with that -- or providing their own viewpoints on the subject -- the better!

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
@PheNOM07
In my opinion

1. Sonic Fox
2. Foxy Grampa
3. Dragon
4. Hayatei
5. Slayer
6. Scar
7. Honeybee
8. DJT
9. Toxin
10. Forever King
11. Noble Raptor
12. Pnut
13. Michaelangelo
14. Saltface
15. Woundcowboy
16. Biohazard
17. MIT
18. REO
19. Kitana Prime
20. Big D
21. Zyphox
22. Jupiter
23. Gunshow
24. Illusions
25. Pig of The Hut
26. Doctor Stabs
27. Coosco
28. Noobe
29. Perfect Legend
30. DJA Homies
31. Coach Steve
32. Dab

Some notes

St9rm is confirmed, also don't count Ketchup+Madzin+me out, it's looking good that we're going.