What's new

7 Things You Need to Know About Gear (Video Reveal)

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I hope WB doesn't at the last minute add the microtransactions. That would suck for derek and NRS. :/

jrock920

Noob
a great system this a great thing to keep people for a long time and people can stop bitching about characters getting skins

Lokheit

Noob
It's fairly simple to see the problem. Typically micro transactions are shortcuts. If I spend $50 on gear for injustice 2, that probably equals a couple weeks of your time. It's just dumb. Plus some people actually LIKE to WORK for what they have. So if I have fun unlocking things the old fashioned way but Sweatpants Eddie pays $50, my hard work essentially amounts to nothing
I'm not a fan of microtransactions but in this example of yours where exactly do you think Sweatpants Eddie got those $50 dollars from? He sweated his pants working to get the money (or his parents, but someone had to sweat those pants), which means he invested his lifetime on getting that content the same way you or I would spend that time grinding the game.

I work in the game industry and at the end of the day, you have to understand that your time, is money (that's why I don't play too many mobile games, most of them are work disguised as games and it's not even fun). When you work you're payed because you spend your time for a company, but the real currency is time. Personally as a player I don't pay microtransactions because even if I'd pay for some freemium games if they weren't free I see myself as a cheater if I don't play through the content, but that's just a pride thing, not everyone has the time (or the interest on grinding the same stuff all the time) so it's not such an atrocity if they can invest some money AS LONG AS IT'S NOT PAY TO WIN which this isn't (you're not even using the stats from equipment on ranked mode).

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
It's fairly simple to see the problem. Typically micro transactions are shortcuts. If I spend $50 on gear for injustice 2, that probably equals a couple weeks of your time. It's just dumb. Plus some people actually LIKE to WORK for what they have. So if I have fun unlocking things the old fashioned way but Sweatpants Eddie pays $50, my hard work essentially amounts to nothing
Except it doesn't devalue your experience at all. If you like to work for the gear, then you've still got the journey towards getting it. It should mean more to you because of the effort you put in. Whatever Sweatpants Eddie does with his money and time is irrelevant to what you do with yours. The work you did and the rewards remain unchanged. All that is different is your perception of its value. Nothing about it has changed just because someone else had the option to obtain the same outcome through different means.

What if someone is blessed in the eyes of RNGesus and farms what should take weeks in a matter of hours? Does that devalue your work as well?

If I decided I wanted to pick up gardening and started growing tomatoes, should I then resent everyone with the gall to buy tomatoes?

After all the bullshit the female characters go through, how are more people not talking about Superman's goofy-ass face?
He looks ok to me. I feel like people are expecting him to look like one of the numerous Supermans we've seen throughout the years, but he doesnt at all, and it throws them off.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
lol Sweatpants Eddie. I get what you mean, but to be fair, there's also a lot of people out there who (for many different reasons) are simply too busy to grind hours everyday just to get that really cool helmet. Kind of sucks for them to not be able to experience the awesome gear just because of real life responsibilities.

Also, it can also be very useful for TO's who want all costumes unlocked for the competitors to use.
I could understand if it were a cosmetic thing or like something like MKX with brutalities from the Krypt and fatalities but gear effects gameplay. You're right about people being too busy but it's not like just those guys will pay for stuff. A lot of the online gamers are young guys or kids. They also have no problem throwing money out there. At one point between work and school I literally didn't have time to play games except maybe 2hrs before I went to sleep and even then for someone like me. I personally, can't support micro transactions unless it's a free to play game. It's just not fair compared to the people who actually put in the work

TheGangstaFace

I'm not a fan of microtransactions but in this example of yours where exactly do you think Sweatpants Eddie got those $50 dollars from? He sweated his pants working to get the money (or his parents, but someone had to sweat those pants), which means he invested his lifetime on getting that content the same way you or I would spend that time grinding the game.

I work in the game industry and at the end of the day, you have to understand that your time, is money (that's why I don't play too many mobile games, most of them are work disguised as games and it's not even fun). When you work you're payed because you spend your time for a company, but the real currency is time. Personally as a player I don't pay microtransactions because even if I'd pay for some freemium games if they weren't free I see myself as a cheater if I don't play through the content, but that's just a pride thing, not everyone has the time (or the interest on grinding the same stuff all the time) so it's not such an atrocity if they can invest some money AS LONG AS IT'S NOT PAY TO WIN which this isn't (you're not even using the stats from equipment on ranked mode).
How about we put this in different terms? Okay. So let's say, basketball. Let's say I love basketball right? I wanna beat my friends in basketball all the time. Hell. I wanna beat LeBron. Would you think it's fair that I say "well I spend my time doing this instead of basketball so it's only fair that I pay $100 to be able to dunk and have real life aimbot accuracy even though these guys put in more real hard work"

TheGangstaFace

Except it doesn't devalue your experience at all. If you like to work for the gear, then you've still got the journey towards getting it. It should mean more to you because of the effort you put in. Whatever Sweatpants Eddie does with his money and time is irrelevant to what you do with yours. The work you did and the rewards remain unchanged. All that is different is your perception of its value. Nothing about it has changed just because someone else had the option to obtain the same outcome through different means.

What if someone is blessed in the eyes of RNGesus and farms what should take weeks in a matter of hours? Does that devalue your work as well?

If I decided I wanted to pick up gardening and started growing tomatoes, should I then resent everyone with the gall to buy tomatoes?
Way off. It does devalue what I've done. Did you play the beta? Dude if you play someone with way better shit than you, you're gonna get your shit pushed in. So I spent 2 weeks busting my ass for this gear. Sweatpants Eddie hops on and spends $50 and suddenly he's mopping my shit

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
Way off. It does devalue what I've done. Did you play the beta? Dude if you play someone with way better shit than you, you're gonna get your shit pushed in. So I spent 2 weeks busting my ass for this gear. Sweatpants Eddie hops on and spends $50 and suddenly he's mopping my shit
Not trolling, but I really didn't expect anyone on this site to actually have any intention of playing with gear enabled. Whether I was winning or losing in the BETA with gear on, there was nothing fun about it. Unbalanced gameplay is not really my thing.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Microtransactions are only an issue if they're pay to win. Seeing as there's tournament mode in Injustice 2 there's no possible way these can be pay to win as long as you play tournament mode so I'm all good.

Might be a bit annoying at first though if you decide to try out gear mode and the all-mighty Sweatpants Eddie is tearing you a second asshole with his $50 boots.

TheGangstaFace

Not trolling, but I really didn't expect anyone on this site to actually have any intention of playing with gear enabled. Whether I was winning or losing in the BETA with gear on, there was nothing fun about it. Unbalanced gameplay is not really my thing.
I don't plan on playing with gear activated but you gotta realize that a LOT of people definitely will play with it on and this site represents a very small number of the actual player base

TheGangstaFace

Microtransactions are only an issue if they're pay to win. Seeing as there's tournament mode in Injustice 2 there's no possible way these can be pay to win as long as you play tournament mode so I'm all good.

Might be a bit annoying at first though if you decide to try out gear mode and the all-mighty Sweatpants Eddie is tearing you a second asshole with his $50 boots.
But a lot of the casual players might wanna play with stat boosts and extra abilities

Second Saint

In an optional mode where the goal seems to be about being as broken and unbalanced as possible? It's not pay to win in any mode that matters. It's pay to mess around with different stuff. As far as I'm aware, you don't even have to play with gear on to grind for it, so for many people, they will just be cosmetic items.

Can we make Sweatpants Eddie a thing? I think his ostentatious wealth and insistence on wearing those sweat pants at all times has won me over.

TheGangstaFace

In an optional mode where the goal seems to be about being as broken and unbalanced as possible? It's not pay to win in any mode that matters. It's pay to mess around with different stuff. As far as I'm aware, you don't even have to play with gear on to grind for it, so for many people, they will just be cosmetic items.

Can we make Sweatpants Eddie a thing? I think his ostentatious wealth and insistence on wearing those sweat pants at all times has won me over.
Yeah but what if the casual player wants to use his broken character that he worked for but someone pays to beat him lol. Like some casual players might not like playing the regular characters.

And I've adopted Sweatpants Eddie as my alter ego. I came up with the name a few weeks ago

Second Saint

Yeah but what if the casual player wants to use his broken character that he worked for but someone pays to beat him lol. Like some casual players might not like playing the regular characters.

And I've adopted Sweatpants Eddie as my alter ego. I came up with the name a few weeks ago
Well, casuals getting rekt in fighting games is hardly new, though I think a lot of issues could be solved by matchmaking only putting you with people at a similar item level.

And if/when microtransactions wreak havoc upon the gear enabled, I will call every one of the gear buyers Sweatpants Eddie in honor of you and this thread.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It's just dumb. Plus some people actually LIKE to WORK for what they have. So if I have fun unlocking things the old fashioned way but Sweatpants Eddie pays $50, my hard work essentially amounts to nothing
this makes zero sense. If you like doing it and have fun... isn't that the entire point of a game. How dose someone you do not know and have nothing to do with affect your enjoyment of a game?