What's new

3D MK without projectiles

Would you play a 3D based MK without projectiles?

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 78.6%

• Total voters

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
They already have that, its called Tekken & Virtua Fighter, don't go trying to turn MK into something its not.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
No thanks, let Namco do that. They know 3D best.
Also mk needs projectiles. Subby with no ice ball, lao with no hat? C'mon now.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
You mean with a thread that deviates from the norm? That's cool man... I'm glad you don't want change and want to keep playing the same game over and over again.
i'm just a good guy, you made me said that #Kappa.
ok, i'm srs now :D, i don't want MK to be 3D. There's be alot of things that will change if MK becomes 3D.
and lmao @ same game? do you even play 3d FGs and understand them bro. and another 2d mk doesn't mean it's the same game, with your logic, mk9 is just like umk3 lol.

i'm just a good guy, you made me said that #Kappa.
ok, i'm srs now :D, i don't want MK to be 3D. There's be alot of things that will change if MK becomes 3D.
and lmao @ same game? do you even play 3d FGs and understand them bro. and another 2d mk doesn't mean it's the same game, with your logic, mk9 is just like umk3 lol.
Well I never said 2d, I was indicating a game with projectiles. Why do you ask if I play 3d fighters? I never got too deep into them but I know the rock, paper, scissors methodology works is those too.

Anyways I highly doubt NRS is going to make a 3D MK and even if they were, I doubt they would leave out projectiles. But man... I can't even ask the community a question without people getting all offended. Geez....

None. While the 3D MKs had projectiles, they were worthless because lol sidestep. I'm imagining Deadly Alliance with no projectiles and it still sucks.
Okay i see what you mean by that. But weren't Sareena's knive throws in MK Armageddon really overpowered... even to sidestep?

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
a balanced and revamped version of the deadly alliance era engine would be fun

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
zaf got any links?

Do most of you dislike the idea because it strays to far from the norm of what you're used to playing, don't want that change, or something else? Also weren't some specials in Deception too good? Like Dairou's tombstone drop? Granted it wasn't a projectile but it was very fast from what I remember.
Pretty much the exact reason, there's nothing wrong with sticking with what you enjoy.
No reason to make it all different for the only purpose of making MK really different for a change, It's mortal Kombat it needs to retain things that made it the game that it is, which it why most FPS's hardly change, because as much as people complain about change for them, people would hate the game if it strayed too far from it's norm.

I'd rather they did a 3D fighting game with a new IP than try and force MK's gameplay into 3D. Again.
Yeah, I hear that. Why did they go 3D to begin with though if they wanted to add projectiles? Aren't projectiles best for 2D games?

Pretty much the exact reason, there's nothing wrong with sticking with what you enjoy.
No reason to make it all different for the only purpose of making MK really different for a change, It's mortal Kombat it needs to retain things that made it the game that it is, which it why most FPS's hardly change, because as much as people complain about change for them, people would hate the game if it strayed too far from it's norm.
Good point.

zaf

professor
PainForge

if you want an mk with more footises and normals then specials check out umk3 and mk4.
Granted some characters use specials, but for the most part it is all normals that do the pressuring.

Watch any hanzo hashashi youtube video on umk3 or mk4.

Also there was a umk3 tourney not too too long ago, where a hacked noob saibot was used.
this noob saibot had no specials but like 10-30% more hp ( not sure which)
you have to rely on just normals for that character
reo won the tourney using this character

I play a lot of umk3, and for the most part I only use specials within combos.

PainForge

if you want an mk with more footises and normals then specials check out umk3 and mk4.
Granted some characters use specials, but for the most part it is all normals that do the pressuring.

Watch any hanzo hashashi youtube video on umk3 or mk4.

Also there was a umk3 tourney not too too long ago, where a hacked noob saibot was used.
this noob saibot had no specials but like 10-30% more hp ( not sure which)
you have to rely on just normals for that character
reo won the tourney using this character

I play a lot of umk3, and for the most part I only use specials within combos.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely have too look those videos up also.

MK never really felt right to me as a 3d game. I played them all because I'm a fan, but the 2d games were the ones I played far after release and going through the single player content. I really think that NRS has trouble with 3d games--animations were always weird, hits didn't connect right, etc. Though I can completely understand why you would like something like this--I just don't think we would get anything even close to Tekken quality from NRS in a 3d format.

With that said, I'd support them making a new IP focused in 3d--that way they can design the character from the ground up with 3d in mind, maybe it would be better then. Give it the same dark aesthetic that MK has, but just a new game, new characters, new engine. Plus if they do it with MK, that would mean we won't get a follow up to MK9 improving on the engine, which feels like a great opportunity to finally establish a formula in MK games to build on. Just my opinion.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
I've had enough 3D MKs for a while, thank you.

They just need to improve upon MK9 and make it more balanced. I love the mechanics of MK9.

I wonder if MK10 will have Sub-Zero or Cyber Sub-Zero...

Flagg

Noob
Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the two characters you picture when it comes to Mortal Kombat. As are their special moves. It's like trying to make a Street Fighter, but excluding Ryu and Ken. Some things are just too iconic to exclude.

So true. I remember when SF 3 was going to have completely new characters but even Capcom knew no ryu and Ken would not work. In the end I loved the cast of sf 3 but would it have worked without the shotos?

RoGE

Noob
Why would we reduce character archetypes? That would also involve taking out the MK character's signature special moves.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Personally though guys, I do wish there was a game like this. I envision something like Soul Calibur but with a dark atmosphere like MK. I've always like the sort of realism and play style of Virtua Fighter which is partly why a game like this should exist.
Then make a different game.

InFlames

dead
This is the only good MKDA video I could find, since REO made his private.

I wouldn't mind playing a 3d MK, but one without projectiles is kind of going too far.