What's new

2014 FIFA World Cup general discussion thread

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
This World Cup is hella ass backwards. From today alone, Spain might be 0-2 in pool play and the Dutch only beat the Aussies by 1 after beating the team ranked #1 in the world (which was Spain mind you) by 4

NKZero

Noob
We are guaranteed new champions now! Chile were so good, they have a crazy motor. I'm starting to think playing 5 defensively has become the new strategy. Both teams who played 5 at the back have already qualified for the knockout stages.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Also, if Spain fail to beat Australia in their final group game, they will officially be the worst defending champions in World Cup history.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
Holy shit, Spain is out!!! I missed the game, went to the cinema. I'm really happy for Chile though.

I feel sorry for Aussies losing the first game of the day. I watched from the end of the first half and was cheering for Aussies to win, but unfortunately it seems the inexperience got them. 2-1 up and just minutes later they conceived a goal and then immediately after a missed chance to go 3-2 up they conceived another one and went 2-3 down. Would have been crazy if Aussies had beaten the Dutch and then Chile Spain.

Now... Go CROATIA!!!

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
What i would have given for my left foot to have been where Busquets's was. Cant believe Spain have crashed out like that. Oh well, makes Germany's chances that much better.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
what a blow up
pack it up spain.
the ned vs Aus match was the best I have seen so far IMO
so happy for chile, Oberyn must be happy
am still hoping for honduras to somehow make it thru :(

NKZero

Noob
The end of the Spanish era? Wouldnt be surprised if thats the last time anyone see's Xavi in a Spanish shirt again.
People have figured out that tiki taka style of football. So not only were Spain exposed for seemingly 'ancient' tactics, but they also have a striker in Costa who doesn't suit that style of play. Now that I think about it, I'm not surprised Atletico Madrid won La Liga and reached the final in the Champions League. Their direct style of football is more effective as is that of Real Madrid. I think the days of cute Barcelona passing centred around small playmakers is soon to be over.

I also think the Spanish national side don't have the legs to compete anymore. They were consistently exposed on the counter in both matches. I think it's good they played people such as Koke but they could have used one or two more bench players better served to compete in midfield. Also I love Xavi so I feel kinda bad for him :/.

In my last post I mentioned how Spain was, before this last years of glory, famous for choking in the important moments. What I did not say was that we chileans have never won anything in a football field; Our greatest achivement in a World Cup was getting third place in Chile 1962, back when football was a completely different sport, and our squad kicked (literally kicked, search youtube for the footage) Italy out of the cup to get to that. We are a nation that loves Fútbol, but being in the continent that we are in, it is really tough to get results... We don`t even have a Copa América in our shelves.

Then the World Cup draw happened. Australia, Netherlands, and Spain, and every single fútbol fan in this country was divided: One part was screaming: "This is over. Spain twice in a row? Come on. The draw was fixed!!!" while the other part whispered "We can do it. It will be hard, but if one Chilean national team can do it, it is this one". Passion makes you have faith even when everything is against you...

Fast forward to today`s game, against the number one team in the FIFA list, who ALSO was in desperate need of a W to save their sinking ship... But we had faith. People in the streets wore their red jerseys. Never underestimate the heart of a champion, everybody said, Spain is still Spain...

And then we won. And the game was never close... Maybe 20 - 25 minutes in which they had the ball and made some interesting plays, but we were clearly superior. We qualified to the second round by beating the reigning world champion and eliminating them while doing so. Excuse me, but I am going to type all that again, in caps, and this time I am going to use the F word, just because:

WE JUST FUCKING SENT THE REIGNING WORLD CHAMPIONS HOME AND ADVANCED TO THE SECOND ROUND OF THE WORLD CUP!!!

TLDR: VIVA CHILE!!!