What's new

2014 FIFA World Cup general discussion thread

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
My emoness aside, watch my delusional media/press still up-play Gerrard, Rooney, Jagielka etc. and conjure up conspiracy theories to drive Suarez out of Liverpool. :rolleyes:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
My emoness aside, watch my delusional media/press still up-play Gerrard, Rooney, Jagielka etc. and conjure up conspiracy theories to drive Suarez out of Liverpool. :rolleyes:
I hate that they are now putting the blame on the central defenders instead of Gerrard for that last goal.
The center-backs may not have been positioned well but it was mainly Gerrard's fault.

All the praising and up-playing for Gerrard is way too much. He is past his prime. Makes too many mistakes these days.

coolwhip

Noob
I hate that they are now putting the blame on the central defenders instead of Gerrard for that last goal.
The center-backs may not have been positioned well but it was mainly Gerrard's fault.

All the praising and up-playing for Gerrard is way too much. He is past his prime. Makes too many mistakes these days.
Agreed about Gerrard's responsibility for the second (he even gave up position leading up to the first), but England's marking is pretty putrid, and it's not just this match. Balotelli was able to shake off his marker with minimal effort before scoring his header, and Jagielka was responsible for failing to mark Suarez for Uruguay's first. England have some flair offensively, which is refreshing, but their defensive midfielders/defense are quite awful. Their full backs don't offer much offensively and Baines in particular is defensively suspect (Candreva and Darmian tormented him in England's first match. In fairness, this was in part due to Rooney playing on the left and failing to provide defensive cover), Cahill and Jagielka are guilty of naive defending, and Gerrard and Henderson just don't seem to protect them at all.

I must restate how much I agree with you about Gerrard. He was praised so much for turning into a deep lying midfielder for Liverpool this season, but he really can't control the tempo of a match (that never was his game) like say, Paul Scholes used to be able to. It's not a surprise that England were outclassed by Italy's technically superior central midfielders (Verratti, De Rossi and of course Pirlo), but failing to control the game against Uruguay's mediocre midfield is unacceptable at this level.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Suarez said he dreamed the 2 goals before the match, whaaaaaaaattttt???!!!! :confused:. I predict Colombia and Ivory Coast will qualify to next stage :DOGE. England had a better team but Uruguay had the spirit and huevos. Japan deserved the win but you need to score to win a match:joker:. This was an ok day for me. Oh, and Gerard needs to retire once and for all.

STRYKIE

Gerrard has actually done that before in his prime vs France at the 2004 Euros. As sloppy as it was, I would still chalk it up to Jagielka being nothing but a cap parasite (which is the case with most players produced by Everton).

Suarez said he dreamed the 2 goals before the match, whaaaaaaaattttt???!!!! :confused:. I predict Colombia and Ivory Coast will qualify to next stage :DOGE. England had a better team but Uruguay had the spirit and huevos. Japan deserved the win but you need to score to win a match:joker:. This was an ok day for me. Oh, and Gerard needs to retire once and for all.
'Gerard' as in Gerard Pique the Spain/Barca defender? I agree :joker:

And lol at huevos, I've never heard that used to describe testicles/nerves before.

All jokes aside, I don't think group C is surprising, Japan, Ivory Coast and Greece are fairly equal IMO, but it seemed Ivory Coast are hungrier to progress to the next round since they were screwed over by very difficult groups the last two times they've been in the World Cup.

I'm interested in seeing how Group A/B finishes, it's a shame that Chile have to play first, because even if they beat the Netherlands and finish as winners, I have a feeling Brazil will sandbag their last match deliberately to avoid them in the next round.

exyle

Noob
England played pretty bad, but Gerrard was awful; he looked like he didn't belong on the team. Missed passes, took terrible shots on goal and gifted Suarez with a goal. I'm sure this tournament is his last.
Sturridge on the other hand was great. He created tons of chances in front of the penalty box. He was able to attract defenders out of position so his teammates had more room for passing. And his pass to Johnson led to Johnson running down the flank and handing Rooney a free goal.

Also, Suarez is looking exceptionally well despite his recent injury.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
And lol at huevos, I've never heard that used to describe testicles/nerves before.
I guess you're not from Latin America :rolleyes:.

I'm interested in seeing how Group A/B finishes, it's a shame that Chile have to play first, because even if they beat the Netherlands and finish as winners, I have a feeling Brazil will sandbag their last match deliberately to avoid them in the next round.
To avoid Netherland or Chile? :confused:. Because if it's Chile, well..., it's a good team but I think Brazil would prefer to avoid Netherlands.

STRYKIE

I guess you're not from Latin America :rolleyes:.

To avoid Netherland or Chile? :confused:. Because if it's Chile, well..., it's a good team but I think Brazil would prefer to avoid Netherlands.
I figured that it seemed Latino and I knew what you was referring to in context regardless.. but yes, my understanding of Spanish is very European :p

And I meant to avoid the Netherlands.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
And I meant to avoid the Netherlands.
Even though Chile has chance of being first in his group I think Netherlands is overall a better team, I respect "el hombrecito" a lot, but Netherlands have Robben and Van Persie, 2 of the best players in the world.

STRYKIE

Even though Chile has chance of being first in his group I think Netherlands is overall a better team, I respect "el hombrecito" a lot, but Netherlands have Robben and Van Persie, 2 of the best players in the world.
I expect the Netherlands to still finish first, but if Chile surprise us again, it would be a shame if they still had to play a top-tier team, especially since they were eliminated by Brazil at the last World Cup. (but their team has greatly improved since then)

I expect the Netherlands to still finish first, but if Chile surprise us again, it would be a shame if they still had to play a top-tier team, especially since they were eliminated by Brazil at the last World Cup. (but their team has greatly improved since then)
We were eliminated by Brazil IN BOTH FRANCE AND SOUTH AFRICA. We (people in Chile, don`t know about the actual national squad) are damn afraid to play the Verde Amarela because they have got our phone number for decades... Even though this Brazilian team is not 98 nor 2010 Brazil, and our team is WAY better and has WAY MORE confidence.

Also... Isn`t it shady that Brazil plays their last game after our group is done?

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Man Italy....really poor. Didn't create much (should have taken Rossi) and just wasn't much about them bgoing forward. Fair play to Costa Rica though and congrats to them. As for Italy, Prandelli should risk it and play Immobile and Cerci upfront, they were deadly at Torino so go for it now.

STRYKIE

So Costa Rica are through to the knockout round, and now look like they're going to win their group when most of us thought they wasn't even going to get a single point....

To hell with this, I'm not making anymore predictions until Belgium, South Korea and USA play their next matches on sunday :DOGE

We were eliminated by Brazil IN BOTH FRANCE AND SOUTH AFRICA. We (people in Chile, don`t know about the actual national squad) are damn afraid to play the Verde Amarela because they have got our phone number for decades... Even though this Brazilian team is not 98 nor 2010 Brazil, and our team is WAY better and has WAY MORE confidence.

Also... Isn`t it shady that Brazil plays their last game after our group is done?
That's the thing, I have a bad feeling Brazil will draw their last game... potentially on purpose. But I do wish Chile well after their inspiring performances in their group.

NKZero

Noob
France looking very powerful at the moment. They have a great balance in their squad and great talent in all departments. Matuidi is very good.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
Came back from work and found out Costa Rica beat Italy too. Damn! England joins Spain on the plane home after round 2. Holy cow.

Wow this World Cup... The goals, the shockers...

TheGabStandard

Ghana played well but missed some BIG chances to put Germany to the sword. Hopefully Portugal wins tomorrow to give us a chance to qualify.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Ghana played well but missed some BIG chances to put Germany to the sword. Hopefully Portugal wins tomorrow to give us a chance to qualify.
Germany missed huge chances too. Lahm should have shot instead of back heeled. Götze should have shot instead of passed. Müller got blocked.
Don't make it seem so one sided.
US and Germany will both get out of the group.

TheGabStandard

Germany missed huge chances too. Lahm should have shot instead of back heeled. Götze should have shot instead of passed. Müller got blocked.
Don't make it seem so one sided.
US and Germany will both get out of the group.
That's true and I expected Germany to win but they wasted some good opportunities as well. At the end of the day it was an entertaining game, just now need my ears to recover from the constant shouting at home lol.