What's new

General/Other 1.06 Shazam Patch Notes

Will you still use Shazam?

• Total voters

SaJa

FH_FenriR
No offence, I'm just giving my opinion, maybe it's too early but still, so : Shazam is probably the worse character of the game right now.
The only thing from the patch that helps him is the other char nerf. Despite that, every char has 40% combos so I don't know why people got crazy seeing shazam has some as well (prepatch too btw).
Shazam can combo from his b2, so b23 doesn't change his metagame that much, what we can do now was possible before, we just have a good meterless whiff punisher now but it's not enough.

His range grabs upgrade are a kind of a fix, it's not a buff except for the low one but again it doesn't look to be a big deal.

His damage buffs is a joke imo especially when his trait got nerf. I just played him offline and I really feel the same as before.

So people can say "there are still stuffs to discover" but what shazam truly can do more than before except 28% meterless from b23 ?

I'm very disapointed by this patch, and I won't try to make you desprest or something, I still love that character and I'll still play him, but never in tournament. If I can help you to find out some dirts I'll do.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I get excited for 40% combos that dont require a ton of effort. Try getting 40% with Green Arrow sometime and see how technical it gets or how much meter is needed. Sometimes you just want something easier to net damage with. Its why one of my main backups is Bane. Sometimes I just want them to fear a single hit confirm knowing the odds of dropping a high damage combo is unlikely because of who I'm using.

If I can get consistent 40% off a touch easily I'll learn the footsies and wakeup required to stay alive and go for it.

Sneak

Noob
I finally found a way to combo into trait but the timing is tight and i can't find a way to do a lot of damage with it. You can do (corner only) b 2,3, d2xtrait, d1 HM

Sneak

Noob
Well after a little bit more testing we at least get a setup afterwards and if it hits we get 33% off an overhead then a 48-50% combo if we land the grab on wake up since we would still be in trait. So it could potentially take almost the whole lifebar from one overhead which is really good.

So its B23, d2xxTrait, d1xxHM, B3, J2, 2, AC for the hard knockdown.

Uber

Noob
Well after a little bit more testing we at least get a setup afterwards and if it hits we get 33% off an overhead then a 48-50% combo if we land the grab on wake up since we would still be in trait. So it could potentially take almost the whole lifebar from one overhead which is really good.

So its B23, d2xxTrait, d1xxHM, B3, J2, 2, AC for the hard knockdown.
But why even bother now that trait damage doesn't add that much. You could just grab 40% off of the B2 combo into AC, then reset for another 40% off of HM. 40% + 40% is more ideal than 33% + 48% because you get more guarenteed upfront with the same end total.
With the trait the way it is now, its only use is to just throw it on during downtime. Not really worth dropping combos for trait setup. Maybe in the corner off of a F3, but even that is barely worth it.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Sneak

Noob
But why even bother now that trait damage doesn't add that much. You could just grab 40% off of the B2 combo into AC, then reset for another 40% off of HM. 40% + 40% is more ideal than 33% + 48% because you get more guarenteed upfront with the same end total.
With the trait the way it is now, its only use is to just throw it on during downtime. Not really worth dropping combos for trait setup. Maybe in the corner off of a F3, but even that is barely worth it.
I didn't think you could get 40% from back 2 outside of the corner.

Uber

Noob
It only works midscreen against some characters. Haven't tested much of the cast, but I know it works against shazam, and it whiffs on green arrow and raven. Probably just works on larger characters.

D

Deleted member 9158

Am I the only one who felt his command grabs didn't need more range?

They're hard enough to deal with in the first place

SmokeMaster

I got no time for whining!!!
Am I the only one who felt his command grabs didn't need more range?

They're hard enough to deal with in the first place
If you played someone who knows the max range of his grab, Shazam had no real way of opening up his opponent. Now with the buff in his throw range the threat is real. B2 would whiff on crouched opponents before when he was at max range. You can't crouch block anymore once he is at max range for a HM because of threat of b2. Of all the buffs he got this is the most significant one.

Shawi

Noob
"Kash: Shazam: My favorite character who NRS seem to dislike. We talked a bit on him on twitter but what are you foreseeing for Billy?
CDjr: He will still suck after the patch, Kash I’m sorry for giving you hope. That launcher doesn’t mean anything because the string it self is punishable on block while other characters have launchers that are safe on block or even + lol.
Insaynne was unable to give his opinion on Shazam’s changes."

I swear I said this when they first mentioned b23 will now launch.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
"Kash: Shazam: My favorite character who NRS seem to dislike. We talked a bit on him on twitter but what are you foreseeing for Billy?
CDjr: He will still suck after the patch, Kash I’m sorry for giving you hope. That launcher doesn’t mean anything because the string it self is punishable on block while other characters have launchers that are safe on block or even + lol.
Insaynne was unable to give his opinion on Shazam’s changes."

I swear I said this when they first mentioned b23 will now launch.
This character doesn't deserve to be played by fools.
B23 shouldn't be thrown out freely, and besides any good player can block correctly against a "Punish" they can't straight up hit you after B23, you got time to block or occasionally a cheeky back dash but still Blocking is simple enough.

Xanru

Noob
I couldn't get it to work midscreen.
No, it definitely works midscreen. It does seem both spacing and size dependent as well as being a bit strict on timing however. I got it to work pretty easily on Batman and Superman, and relatively consistently on Ares, I've only managed it a few times on NW though. Seems that you want to be just outside of sweep range at the furthest for the most consistent results.

I also noticed that the HM range buff didn't really do anything for b2xxHM into b2/hm mix-ups. You still have to be at max range w/b2 for people with hitboxes like Superman and GL. :\

Xanru

Noob
This character doesn't deserve to be played by fools.
B23 shouldn't be thrown out freely, and besides any good player can block correctly against a "Punish" they can't straight up hit you after B23, you got time to block or occasionally a cheeky back dash but still Blocking is simple enough.
Pretty sure anybody with a normal 9f or faster can punish b23, I'm also pretty sure that incorporates most if not all of the cast.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Pretty sure anybody with a normal 9f or faster can punish b23, I'm also pretty sure that incorporates most if not all of the cast.
But all the push back on it closes it thus those frames are lies and you have enough time to block.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
b23 leaves you right in front of your opponent, anyone with a decent s1 can punish you right after your feet touch the ground.
With a grab or small quick strings maybe, or a poke which then allows you to block anyway, But that's no huge punish, people blow this out of the water.