What's new

Who is the respective downplayer for each character?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
i mean.... show me where.
Just because he is completely obnoxious and loud.... doesn't mean he didn't make good points.

When someone posted up about KF "real" problems (which almost everyone shook their collective heads in agreement)...... i went back and read some of that forum to see if anyone else had come to the same conclusions.

Guess who was the only person remotely close to saying the same thing...........
well he DID say she beat AM 7-3 at one point...clearly someone's wrong.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Uh....???? No lol he is absolutely THE Deathstroke downplayer. No doubting it. He has claimed Deathstroke is a "low mid tier character at best" on multiple occasions.

@Error is definitely the official Black Adam downplayer.

@Hysteria is the official Wonder Woman downplayer.

@Youphemism is the official Batgirl downplayer.

@Billy Dha Kid is the official Grundy downplayer. (The low tiers are hard to pin down because everyone says theyre bad but some say it more than others I guess lol :))

I'll try and think of more.
There's a difference between downplaying and showing the community she can actually be beat...but I can see why TYM thinks that lol

Also @Billy Dha Kid - grab immune :joker:

Youphemism

who actually thinks she is unbeatable?

you are a downplayer
Well maybe not literally saying she's unbeatable but upplaying her a hell of a lot like saying she 7-3s most of the cast and stuff like that. But I don't want to start shit with anyone, I'm just saying that happens.

Well explain why then, I've always said she's a great character, she's top 5 undoubtedly and that her vortex is a great tool but that she does have flaws like any character in the game does.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Youphemism and others use the "I mean he/she is good....BUT......" strategy. It's where you don't flat out say the character isn't good, in fact you can often actually call them top tier, but it's just cover to then explain why they are not as good as everyone says. This allows them to constantly downplay while falling back on "What? I said they're top tier!" when called out on it.

Youphemism

Youphemism and others use the "I mean he/she is good....BUT......" strategy. It's where you don't flat out say the character isn't good, in fact you can often actually call them top tier, but it's just cover to then explain why they are not as good as everyone says. This allows them to constantly downplay while falling back on "What? I said they're top tier!" when called out on it.
So you're saying that I'm implying the character isn't good even though I'm saying they are good?

Talk about overanalysis...

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Well maybe not literally saying she's unbeatable but upplaying her a hell of a lot like saying she 7-3s most of the cast and stuff like that. But I don't want to start shit with anyone, I'm just saying that happens.

Well explain why then, I've always said she's a great character, she's top 5 undoubtedly and that her vortex is a great tool but that she does have flaws like any character in the game does.
Nobody has ever said that she 7-3's most of the cast in ANY of the stream chats I've been in with you where you downplay Batgirl and everyone regulates you for it lol.

And it's somewhat annoying that you always ask people to explain why you're a downplayer as if you're open to admitting it when after they explain why you're going to insist that you're "just stating facts".

Any time a certain Batgirl player places well it has to be they're getting away with so much (even though everyone is)

If you think she's top five, maybe you should stop complaining so much about minor things or trying to save face every time Sonic Fox places high or wins anything.

Youphemism

Nobody has ever said that she 7-3's most of the cast in ANY of the stream chats I've been in with you where you downplay Batgirl and everyone regulates you for it lol.

And it's somewhat annoying that you always ask people to explain why you're a downplayer as if you're open to admitting it when after they explain why you're going to insist that you're "just stating facts".

Any time a certain Batgirl player places well it has to be they're getting away with so much too (As if nobody else gets away with things).
I never said anyone had said she 7-3s most of the cast in a stream chat, I was talking about here on TYM.

I'd be open to admitting it if people could actually give me flat out evidence like quotes that show I'm downplaying.

I've never said others don't get away with things either, don't just assume I don't recognise things others do or don't do, ie Wonder Women doing 23 on block.

I only complain because I enjoy the highest level of play. Sorry for being meticulous. And I'm not sure what you mean by that comment about saving face but I don't like what you're probably implying.

As much as people are going to disagree with me as I say this (no surprise) I think people are misunderstanding what downplaying actually is. Downplaying is like what Myles does, flat out saying that the character is garbage when TYM agrees that's just not true. I've never said Batgirl is garbage or shit or even that she's easy to beat, I've just said that like any other character in the game she has flaws which could be taken advantage of that aren't being taken advantage of.
I on the other hand always refer back to how people constantly ignore the threads some people have made on TYM that we have made specifically because we want people to better understand the matchup and their options in the matchup.
Batgirls cartwheel? PL made a thread covering how to punish all options. Noone tends to do it. Backdashing after a blocked j2 to avoid vortex followups? PL made a thread about it. Rarely done. Backdashing after a blocked b2? I showed it's possible in a thread. Never done. And yes I know Batgirl could just not do a b1 or b2 after a jump in to catch backdashes and she could do something other than u3/d3 after b2 to catch your backdash. My point is that the meta behind these isn't even introduced in the mu so the same things keep happening that don't need to.

TL;DR Downplaying is saying a character is shit. I don't say Batgirl is shit, I just remind people they're not doing things that might actually help in the mu.

If you're going to call me a downplayer at least provide some sort of evidence and not just some paraphrasing.
Fun fact: Out of all the Batgirl's matchup charts, mine isn't even the worst.

I'll apologise for coming across as a downplayer if that's how I'm coming across, I just like the small things like punishes or complicated metas. It's fun to watch, and it's the same with all characters in the game.

TKB

Noob
I never said anyone had said she 7-3s most of the cast in a stream chat, I was talking about here on TYM.

I'd be open to admitting it if people could actually give me flat out evidence like quotes that show I'm downplaying.

I've never said others don't get away with things either, don't just assume I don't recognise things others do or don't do, ie Wonder Women doing 23 on block.

I only complain because I enjoy the highest level of play. Sorry for being meticulous. And I'm not sure what you mean by that comment about saving face but I don't like what you're probably implying.

As much as people are going to disagree with me as I say this (no surprise) I think people are misunderstanding what downplaying actually is. Downplaying is like what Myles does, flat out saying that the character is garbage when TYM agrees that's just not true. I've never said Batgirl is garbage or shit or even that she's easy to beat, I've just said that like any other character in the game she has flaws which could be taken advantage of that aren't being taken advantage of.
I on the other hand always refer back to how people constantly ignore the threads some people have made on TYM that we have made specifically because we want people to better understand the matchup and their options in the matchup.
Batgirls cartwheel? PL made a thread covering how to punish all options. Noone tends to do it. Backdashing after a blocked j2 to avoid vortex followups? PL made a thread about it. Rarely done. Backdashing after a blocked b2? I showed it's possible in a thread. Never done. And yes I know Batgirl could just not do a b1 or b2 after a jump in to catch backdashes and she could do something other than u3/d3 after b2 to catch your backdash. My point is that the meta behind these isn't even introduced in the mu so the same things keep happening that don't need to.

TL;DR Downplaying is saying a character is shit. I don't say Batgirl is shit, I just remind people they're not doing things that might actually help in the mu.

If you're going to call me a downplayer at least provide some sort of evidence and not just some paraphrasing.

I'll apologise for coming across as a downplayer if that's how I'm coming across, I just like the small things like punishes or complicated metas. It's fun to watch, and it's the same with all characters in the game.
...... downplayer :DOGE

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

nigga please, we all know that huge ass wall of china contains the exact same things as all your previous posts.

On topic, I don't thing Chongo ever downplayed, just knew his character well.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
TL;Dr: When you try to explain what people aren't doing to better their chances in certain matchups, the people who aren't doing it get offended and call you a downplayer.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
TL;Dr: When you try to explain what people aren't doing to better their chances in certain matchups, the people who aren't doing it get offended and call you a downplayer.

That is a possibility. The other way of looking at it is that the player's advice could be lacking context that makes it less effective than the other thinks.

For example, it's easy to be critical of Sonic Fox's opponents for not punishing dash ins.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
That is a possibility. The other way of looking at it is that the player's advice could be lacking context that makes it less effective than the other thinks.

For example, it's easy to be critical of Sonic Fox's opponents for not punishing dash ins.
Or Max's opponents aren't taking full advantage of the momentum resetting when he takes their whole first lifebar in one knockdown.

:DOGE:DOGE:DOGE:DOGE

Youphemism

What do you mean "lacking context"?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
What do you mean "lacking context"?

Perhaps a punish might not be as easy as said or not possible to deal with in the spur of the moment. Maybe a mixup is reactable on paper but is too difficult to see in the heat of battle. There's many things like this.