What's new

Who is the most underrated character as of 9/20/2014

Who is the most underrated character as of 9/20/2014?

• Total voters

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
i think a lot of top players are underrating flash. when you have the top 2 representatives say that he doesn't lose a MU, why is there discussion from players that don't use him contrary to players that have been using him from day 1? i get the discussion that other top players that play other characters say their characters beats him, but you have to really think how much flash exp do they really have and how much it is the player they are playing vs actually MU facts. i don't think flash loses to Supes, Aqua, HG, BA or zod like some people are saying and neither does @HoneyBee so how are we going to determine this besides theory fighting?

Go win majors. That's what it took for Batgirl, MMH and Aquaman to earn their spots.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I hope at some point we can stop pretending everyone is equally skilled and characters/match ups must change if someone is doing well. I have played all these guys. They are that good. Whiteboi took Theo to the limit in a 4-6 match in Aquaman's favor because he is indeed that good. He is one of the best Injustice players in the world and is much better than the majority of tournament players.
Nobody said everyone is equally skilled, just that the skill gap isn't so pre-patch KDZ that these Doomsday players are running train on all the other best players with some mid tier, maybe top 15 character. What character/matchup numbers have changed just because they consistently place? That doesn't even make sense; everyone has always agreed that Doomsday barely loses any matches if he even loses any at all. Doomsday can hang with anyone and that's why someone as good as Whiteboi can... well, hang with anyone.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
The reason we argue it is because you don't understand the game at a high level and your only argument in mu discussion is flash doing high damage therefore he outfootsies whoever and you can stuff dash ins with d12 for 60%. High damage =/= greater footsies & every character can stuff dash ins with their d1.
i dont understand the game at a high level? okay so then honeybee doesn't either be cause he agrees with me? *waits for no reply*

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Didn't Zyphox get top 3 at one of the last majors he attended? Or was that because he's so much better than everyone else that he was able to take a midtier that far like a Doomsday player lol.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
i dont understand the game at a high level? okay so then honeybee doesn't either be cause he agrees with me? *waits for no reply*
Yeah, if he agrees with your points then honeybee does not understand footsies in injustice.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Nobody said everyone is equally skilled, just that the skill gap isn't so pre-patch KDZ that these Doomsday players are running train on all the other best players with some mid tier, maybe top 15 character. What character/matchup numbers have changed just because they consistently place? That doesn't even make sense; everyone has always agreed that Doomsday barely loses any matches if he even loses any at all. Doomsday can hang with anyone and that's why someone as good as Whiteboi can... well, hang with anyone.

They're not dominating the other good players. Neither win majors and both fail to place top 8 almost as much as they do place top 8. But yes, the skill gap is real. They do this well with a top 15-10 character. They are that good.

I hope at some point we can stop pretending everyone is equally skilled and characters/match ups must change if someone is doing well. I have played all these guys. They are that good. Whiteboi took Theo to the limit in a 4-6 match in Aquaman's favor because he is indeed that good. He is one of the best Injustice players in the world and is much better than the majority of tournament players.
Where did Whiteboi come from anyway? Never heard of him before IGAU. Is he from another scene?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Noobe & Whiteboi resumes...

Noobe placed top 8 at NEC, Final Round and Evolution. He failed to place at KIT, UFGT, MLG and CEO.

Whiteboi placed top 8 at SCR, UFGT, MLG and WCW. He failed to place at NEC, KIT, Final Round, CEO, and Evolution.

These are not two guys absolutely dominating the field. They're great players who place about half the time. Since there's two DD at a similar skill level he's in every top 8 because one usually places when the other does not.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Yeah, if he agrees with your points then honeybee does not understand footsies in injustice.
you don't even know my points as to why i have flash losing no MU. i don't think flash loses because he has the tools to deal with every situation. you just twist what i say to make me sound dumb as usual. flash doesn't beat aqauman or goes 5-5 with him because of footsies, is because of everything else he can do against him. same with superman. it doesn't occur to you that you need to have knowledge of footsies to place 3rd at a major? you discredit me by saying i dont have high level knowledge of injustice, then you say try to make me look stupid? if i dont have high level knowledge then it should be easy to take money from me in a MM right? next major we are in FT5/FT10 MM flash vs who ever, whatever amount you want as well, tired of your shit talk.

Go win majors. That's what it took for Batgirl, MMH and Aquaman to earn their spots.
I dnt think a character needs to win majors to be considered "top 5" or etc. Cyrax didn't win many majors, but he pretty much always top 3 in MK9 because of the tools he possessed. Just putting that out there. Zod hasn't won a single major, yet he considered top 4 by most people in the community.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I dnt think a character needs to win majors to be considered "top 5" or etc. Cyrax didn't win many majors, but he pretty much always top 3 in MK9 because of the tools he possessed. Just putting that out there. Zod hasn't won a single major, yet he considered top 4 by most people in the community.

He doesn't but it'd shut people up. Cyrax's spot was always in contention, even with Maxter doing well, until your brother won EVO.

Blind_Ducky

you don't even know my points as to why i have flash losing no MU. i don't think flash loses because he has the tools to deal with every situation. you just twist what i say to make me sound dumb as usual. flash doesn't beat aqauman or goes 5-5 with him because of footsies, is because of everything else he can do against him. same with superman. it doesn't occur to you that you need to have knowledge of footsies to place 3rd at a major? you discredit me by saying i dont have high level knowledge of injustice, then you say try to make me look stupid? if i dont have high level knowledge then it should be easy to take money from me in a MM right? next major we are in FT5/FT10 MM flash vs who ever, whatever amount you want as well, tired of your shit talk.

He doesn't but it'd shut people up. Cyrax's spot was always in contention, even with Maxter doing well, until your brother won EVO.
I dnt know why cyrax was ever in contention but that is the way of community's for fighting games overall for the most part. If no one sees a character winning, they might not think they are as good (kind of like gen in sf4 where no one thought he was that viable until Xian came on the scene). We do have some top 8s form zyphox and honeybee, so we have some results from them. No major one yet, but it is going to be hard to solidify things because once MKX comes out, we know what is going to happen with our community lol. If we had the time Capcom games had, we'd be able to explore our games better.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
They're not dominating the other good players. Neither win majors and both fail to place top 8 almost as much as they do place top 8. But yes, the skill gap is real. They do this well with a top 15-10 character. They are that good.
And I disagree. Doomsday is better than top 15-10. He's right up there with that handful of characters who don't really dominate any matchups too significantly but don't really lose any badly either (WW, BM, F, SM, etc.). They're all top ten and vying for that last top five spot. Only a couple characters are in the top ten conversation in spite of having some real shitter matchups off the strength of how badly they dominate some of their others (Bane, Sinestro, etc.). The majority of characters people consider the top 5-10 just outside of the big four are just more consistently viable and Doomsday belongs in that group for being exactly that.

You may disagree and that's fine of course, but despite your credentials I think you're known to down-play and up-play off the handle at times. You haven't really addressed what distinguishes Doomsday as demonstrably worse than the other characters people talk about being top 10-5 who go just as even across the board and lack his scary momentum on top of that. Few characters' matchup numbers change as drastically in their favor once the opponent is cornered as Doomsday's do and he is one of the best at getting you there too, so he's got that to consider on top of his consistent matchup chart as well. So I don't know why exactly you think he's worse than others, in gameplay terms, but something tells me we may just have to agree to disagree in the end here.

What's more important is all those Catwoman votes.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
yeah, i can see this point. But Kenshi really never won majors either for the same reason as Cyrax....

KABAL

yeah, i can see this point. But Kenshi really never won majors for the same reason as Cyrax....

KABAL
Lol this is as real as it gets. Kabal screwed over sonya for the most part too :p. I dnt know how some say cyrax was broken when you have kabal who won.... EVERY MATCHUP
Edit: At least no one called Kabal ST akuma like people called pre patch scorpion...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
DD is not in the top 5 conversation because he has 4-7 losing matches and few if any 7-3 or 8-2 match ups. He simply does not have the match up chart to be top 5 if you believe the opinions of some of the best players using/fighting him.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Zod never won a major and he doesn't even have that many placings so why is he guaranteed top 5 according to almost everyone?
And Flash has won a major... Toryuken. :DOGE

I'm not completely sure where Zyphox stands on how good Flash's footsies are/what makes a character have good footsies. In a MU like Flash vs AM, I believe Flash gets heavily outfootsied because my best ranged attack is my B2 which is 15 start up frames and a mid compared to AMs B1 which is 8 start up frames and a low, among other things. At the same time, Flash's LC prevents AM from using FTD from anywhere except full screen so we have to constantly be up close and I have to manage to be in that space that I'm capable of punishing a whiffed B2, B1, D1 or a dash in so I'm basically respecting what he does more than him respecting what I'm doing. I have to react to him and "play his game" in that situation but just because I have to "play his game" it doesn't mean it's a losing MU. The second I get something started, he's playing my game and I can always take risks in the neutral game because the payoff is well worth the risk.

That's just some of my thoughts on one MU, I'm not gonna go into detail on every MU cause it seems to be quite pointless. If people want to believe Flash has losing MUs, they should at least respect the fact that the top reps think he has none and therefore, those MUs need to be actually played out offline instead of just theory fighting.

As of right now, I think it's fair to say Flash is a definite top 10 character regardless, and a definite top 5 character if he has no bad MUs. Even if he does have some bad MUs, he STILL would be in top 5 contention when you compare his losing MUs to the amount of losing MUs of Bane, SM, Sinestro, WW etc.

Last edited:

Blind_Ducky

Zod never won a major and he doesn't even have that many placings so why is he guaranteed top 5 according to almost everyone?

I'm not completely sure where Zyphox stands on how good Flash's footsies are/what makes a character have good footsies. In a MU like Flash vs AM, I believe Flash gets heavily outfootsied because my best ranged attack in my B2 which is 15 start up frames and a mid compared to AMs B1 which is 8 start up frames and a low, among other things. At the same time, Flash's LC prevents AM from using FTD from anywhere except full screen so we have to constantly be up close and I have to manage to be in that space that I'm capable of punishing a whiffed B2, B1, D1 or a dash in so I'm basically respecting what he does more than him respecting what I'm doing. I have to react to him and "play his game" in that situation but just because I have to "play his game" it doesn't mean it's a losing MU. The second I get something started, he's playing my game and I can always take risks in the neutral game because the payoff is well worth the risk.

That's just some of my thoughts on one MU, I'm not gonna go into detail on every MU cause it seems to be quite pointless. If people want to believe Flash has losing MUs, they should at least respect the fact that the top reps think he has none and therefore, those MUs need to be actually played out offline instead of just theory fighting.

As of right now, I think it's fair to say Flash is a definite top 10 character regardless, and a definite top 5 character if he has no bad MUs. Even if he does have some bad MUs, he STILL would be in top 5 contention when you compare his losing MUs to the amount of losing MUs of Bane, SM, Sinestro, WW etc.
That all sounds reasonable.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
It is time to grade some bad posts.

Deathstroke

Most of his matchups are decent and doesnt have a 3-7 matchup or worse - correct. On the other hand, which relevant tournament character does Deathstroke beat? None.

Best Counter Zoner - foolish statement. Aquaman, Batgirl, and Martian Manhunter all have superior counter zoning tools.

Has decent footsies, movement - the footsies are average aside from f+3 and j.3. Walk speed is good. Back and forward dash are abysmal.

multiple hit projectile to go through any armor - how many characters actually use armor to get passed projectiles in this game? Besides, all of Deathstroke's guns are like -25 on block. Block and punish.

Really cool art style/concept - irrelevant. Nothing to do with gameplay.

The ONLY knock against deathstroke is that his trait is terrible, but I have seen some concept ideas that make use of his trait upclose - all of which are gimmicks.

M2dave wanted DS to be like Freddy in MK9 which was stupid because Freddy was OP as shit, its a great character that doesnt have lopsided matchups and forces you to be a well balanced FG player to play him- Example: Slips - Freddy was the most balanced top tier Mortal Kombat 9 character, and Slips is a skilled player with a decade of tournament experience. He can win with almost any character. The point is, I received Zod, who may have better, or "more broken" as you scrubs say, zoning than Freddy.
Final grade is an F for FOOL.

DD is not in the top 5 conversation because he has 4-7 losing matches and few if any 7-3 or 8-2 match ups. He simply does not have the match up chart to be top 5 if you believe the opinions of some of the best players using/fighting him.
I agree with you that he's not top 5, but to be fair weren't you the one saying the other day that whoever the 5th spot is will likely have multiple 4-6's or a 7-3 just because if they didn't we wouldn't be arguing over the 5th spot in the first place?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Zod's spot wasn't solidified until recently. 3 back to back top 8s, including 2nd at EVO goes a long way. For the past year Pig told everyone Zod was top 5 and his failure in tournament was his fault. He then proved that was true. The same applies to last year, pre-Theo, when Aquaman wasn't doing anything and we had Tom selling us bills about all these Aqua bad mu.

Zyphox's question was "what do we have to do to get some respect on this issue"? The answer is do what those guys did. You guys say Flash doesn't struggle against Aquaman and you're losing to Aquaman in tournament. Perhaps like Pig you blame yourself and not the match up. That's actually commendable but it doesn't help your case. We do not know the why, we only see the results.

Last edited: