What's new

Who is the most underrated character as of 9/20/2014

Who is the most underrated character as of 9/20/2014?

• Total voters

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Obvious exaggerration was obvious. Yes its going to take more work than that. Thats the whole point. Thats why not just you or I can waltz into a room full of tip toppers and do it. My point is NOBODY CAPABLE is taking advantage of this characters touch of death and turtle game. Tyrant is playing like this is MK. It is not. Nobody is going to break your million percent combo, so learn it, and do it.

@AK L0rdoftheFLY

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Obvious exaggerration was obvious. Yes its going to take more work than that. Thats the whole point. Thats why not just you or I can waltz into a room full of tip toppers and do it. My point is NOBODY CAPABLE is taking advantage of this characters touch of death and turtle game. Tyrant is playing like this is MK. It is not. Nobody is going to break your million percent combo, so learn it, and do it.

@AK L0rdoftheFLY
lol ok

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think on the whole Grundy thing, it's easy to get really excited about damage percentages and fancy combos and things like that. Very easy. But then you go and play and see where "realistic" damage and "hopeful" damage come into play.

Anyone that's played Tyrant (Myself included) knows that he is completely capable of all those touch of death combos you see in the vids. The 70%'ers, all that. But here's his eternal problem (Which I will henceforth refer to as "The Struggle" in honor of my SoCal bretheren): the opportunities to clench that damage simply don't pop up all that often. Watch any of Tyrant's matches and you will see that most of his damage is coming from ticks into trait grab, walking corpse/MB, and air throw. It's good damage, sure, but it is not as easy as "touch and die".

The Struggle is that while there are occasions where Tyrant will leave damage out, the reality is that damage isn't catastrophic because Grundy's mixup game is mostly between his Walking Corpse Cancels and ticks into trait grab. These are strong mixups, and a big part of why Grundy's still a good character at the end of it all, but they are not killers that will keep him amongst the best in the game, period. Those "shenanigans" with f1 xx WCC and things like that are things he simply needs to do because there is no way he's going to open up a character otherwise. And then he still has to spend a bar to do a good mixup, but it's just good.

All day we can say that players aren't good enough, and that's probably true for 90% or maybe slightly more of the playerbase. But I think that we cannot ignore that Tyrant, with his knowledge of not only the character's tech but his game, will place top 8 often as much as he doesn't. Even against Dab at WCW he was able to land that 80% combo during the match, and The Struggle was still real enough that he almost lost the match. Proper knowledge of the holes in his pressure is enough to keep every match against him highly competitive despite the damage, simply because he probably won't be doing that kind of damage consistently.

I don't think Grundy is absolute shit, but the idea that because of his damage he is insanely good is a trope that we have long since passed.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
Okay so now I'm all caught up on this grundy talk. I'm gonna start by saying grundy is NOT top 5.

But other than that, idk where I'd put grundy. There's times I feel.like he can be put in the argument of top 15-10. Other times I feel like he's bottom ten. Idk where grundy goes on the tier list. And just to point out, this community can't come up with a universal top 10 for this game so in my mind no one can say where he goes on the tier list yet.

On to @Revolvers poimt and I'll say this now, the following is NOT saying that tyrant should be doing something he's not doing. I have no right to have a say in that because tyrants obviously the better player between us. BUT, if I had the fundamentals tyrant has or if tyrant used more meter on his combos for your life bar, the conversation of how good grundy is would probably be the exact opposite of what it is now. If Grundy has full meter in any situation other than grundy having less than 50% of his last lifebar, he's still in the game. He can take a lifebar you by touching you twice. It takes one combo with two bars used to do 70% damage. Than he just has to touch you one more time to take your first lifebar. Second lifebar takes 3 touches like @AK L0rdoftheFLY said. Not the easiest task but still due-able. What other character can take your FULL life with one full meter? I believe that's what @BlackBryan was saying. You just gotta do the shit.

The hard part of playing grundy is playing the characters with good mobility. Because once they get a life lead, they can just run away. It's hard for grundy to be on the Cat side of the "cat and mouse game".

Overall, I believe grundy is one of the better characters in this game just for the fact that he can take your lifebar by touching you twice. Yea he has holes in his game, who doesn't (besides skunquaman and martian)? He has all the tools for him to be viable/competitive in tournament. Tyrant has shown us that on more than one occasion.

The Highlander

There can be only one
I have been playing Grundy since day 1. He was my main before NW but I still play him in casuals and have kept up with his mu and will always play him. I watch tyrant and have learned the game from grundy's eyes.

Here is his real problem. Grundy has to make a read to catch you. Yes he can get in but when he does get in you have to read a jump or a block or a movement. If you guess wrong your chasing the whole screen again. He takes damage the whole time and there may be matches where you never catch an opponent who knows how to counter Grundy effectively. In a 33/33/33 guess situation, the odds are never in your favor. Basically he has a 33% chance of winning against character with good keep away.
Basically ww's game in a nutshell too, although she has an easier time of it due to better mobility.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
I've never understood why people think Aqua is better than Martian? Just because (Theo/Jupiter/SonicFox) won the last big tournament or two doesn't mean (Aqua/Martian/Batgirl) is the best in the game.

And even without that there's plenty of characters that people say have a slight edge over Aquaman; Hawkgirl, Green Lantern, Bane, Lobo, Lex, Killer Frost.

I can't think of any character that could even have a slight edge over Martian?