What's new

Who is the most defensive character in MKX?

I have the BEST defensive options in MKX

• Lao

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • Tanya

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Kano

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • Kotal

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Cassie

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Devorah

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Ermac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goro

• Erin Black

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Ferra Torr

• Cage

• Jax

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Jason

• Jacqui

• Kenshi

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Kitana

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Kung Jin

• Kang

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Mileena

• Predator

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Quan

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Raiden

• Reptile

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Scorpion

• Shinnok

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Sonya

• Takeda

• Tremor

Votes: 17 9.0%

• Total voters

Arzumis

Noob
1.CrystallineTremor
Being able to make gaps in the opponets offense where there is none is amazing.

2.Blood God Kotal
Defense totem does so much. You can break combos multiple times per match and when you cant break you dont do much damage.

3. Tempest Lao.
Ex spin is 7 frames and has huge hitbox and is active for 3 days.

Crathen

Death is my business
The best defensive character in neutral has to be Tempest Kung Lao , jump back 2 and EX spin not only cover anti-airs but the rewards is always over 30% into knockdown pressure , f2 and d4 ( and j2 ) regulate the ground approach and orbiting hat literally put a shield in front of you. Second pick would be Grandmaster Sub , literally denying ground and air approach with EX clone , good d4 and answers to frametrap and airs attacks with EX ice shatter wich is mostly safe due to the awkward blockstun on it , slide does negate quite a few projectiles too along with iceball for trades.

Best defense from frametraps has a lot of contenders , Cassie w EX flip , s2 , d3/d4 , Blood God w obsidian totem for meterbuilding and extended lifebar + jump 1 and parry for projectiles and gaps in strings , Kano with b1 for ground and air control , EX upball for minimal risk ( basically can't be armor break that ) on frametraps and anti airs , great d4 in neutral too , Cristalline Tremor with + on block launcher for AA or ground approach , f1 7 frame high and rock shower in neutral , Aftershock loses the Shatter but gains great anti zoning.

There isn't really a definitive answer , best defensive options do change based on the matchup you're playing , for example i'd rather defend with Kung Lao strong neutral game than Cassies answers to frametraps / pressure when fighting a character like Quan Chi just because when he gets started Cassies options don't matter.

Can you explain more abt his armor, I think it is decent but not really good
It's definitely really good. It basically acts like a block button when you're not actually blocking, as well as allow punishable gaps in strings where there are none normally. Single hit specials will hit the armor and get full combo punished even though you were doing something else. Think Mileena's roll or telekick. All slides. I think all teleport attacks (even Kung Laos throw) Dive kicks, etc. Thats a big deal. For a lot of characters/players who utilize moves like these to get their bullshit going, they're gonna' have a hard time.

So zoning is thus more free, on top of his other defensive tool Rock Drop, which then grants him his turn to use his good pressure to win games.

Last edited:

Skedar70

Noob
I think its between Blood God Kotal and Ethereal Mileena. Blood god has the obsidian totem, parry, good footsies for the neutral, and a great jump in punch for zoning but he lacks in wake up. Mileena has wakeups and can get easily out of pressure with ex fade, she is good at anti zoning also with roll and tele kick she is good at AA. Mileena has good defensive options.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ninjutsu scorpion is a good contender imo. Even though he has bottom 2 armor, he has great anti zoning, the swords are awesome and threaten most characters at a range, 8f D4, 6f D1. Fast uppercut for anti-airs.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Nobody is even talking about cassies instant air gunshots because sonic is the only one who does them.
@AK XEN0M0RPH has been doing this since sonic maimed Kitana at esl season 1. Sonic shouldn't get credit for everything should he lol?

New question to everyone...at what point is safe armor reversal better than quick pokes? The more I think about this...the more I'm leaning towards goro Tigrar.

Who can oki him?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I voted for Shinnok but there are several good choices. I thought he was the obvious choice but blood God, tremor, and lao seem like good choices.

jharris

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers
i voted kotal just because as blood god you can turtle and regain health, try to frustrate your opponent into making mistakes. But in reality this game is all about the offensive

AK XEN0M0RPH

The lift is strong in this one
@AK XEN0M0RPH has been doing this since sonic maimed Kitana at esl season 1. Sonic shouldn't get credit for everything should he lol?

New question to everyone...at what point is safe armor reversal better than quick pokes? The more I think about this...the more I'm leaning towards goro Tigrar.

Who can oki him?
Thanks bud, but until I can actually play well in tournament, I wont get credit for the tech I found or use.Including IAG as a footsie lol

Who can oki him?
If he is able to do them too then I will apologize. the instant air gunshots just arent that common which is why people completely ignore it sometimes when it is actually hella good.

Not most, best. Just because Lao's best tool is his pressure, doesn't mean his defensive options aren't better than that of "defensive" characters.
Also, watch foxy a bit more. He has the perfect balance of defence and offense. One of the things that makes him so difficultto beat is not only his overwhelming pressure, but because people don't know when/how to approach him.
Well the thread title and the poll question are different so I guess we're both right. But I would still argue Laos defensive options aren't the best, his anti air is really good though.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Well the thread title and the poll question are different so I guess we're both right. But I would still argue Laos defensive options aren't the best, his anti air is really good though.
You tag makes me discredit the things you say off the bat. Also, the questions are the same...the poll question justifies the thread title

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Neither would I, I voted for Shinnok. Just think that the case could be made for Lao