What's new

Who do you owe credit to for being as good as you are at fighting games?

Thanks team MYZTERY and team Khaotic for all the training sessions. "No thanks to Khaotic Blaze for using prepatch scorpion during a war lol"

anime guys from new york (chibi, omnisscythe, etc)
sanford kelly, dragongod, cdjr, sabin, chris g, diemineon, for motivating me to get better at sfxt
everyone that went to VSM during the golden years

Flagg

Noob
I owe a lot of my basic fundamentals to growing up in a era where arcade machines were common and also having a offline scene essentially by playing many fighters on consoles and arcades.

Today I give a lot of shout outs to guys like shura, dyslexic and fr stack as well as treadmill and bdmao. Then there were offline UK casuals which rocked so all the guys there but I particularly enjoyed playing 12gauge and phos.

Spacepopsicle

Cool Beans
I've never played a fighting game before mk9, my friend had it and was into that's when I played for the first time, I got super into it and bought the game and constantly trained in my spare time to try and beat him, eventually I got better than him and leveled up super hard with online. By the time I quit I was ranked somewhere around 80-70th in tag leaderboards with close to 6:1 win-lose. If I had found TYM earlier I'm sure that I could I have been better, but I invented all of my own Cyrax and JC tech myself because I didn't think these sites existed ( I know I tier whored but I didn't know about it back then) I find it funny that Almost all of Cyrax tech was up to date with the online forums, and that my corner game IMO is better that what TYM shows. So in the end I gotta thank my friend for introducing, from then on it was all me :)

I never had any serious offline training partner. Just online rivals and inspirations. The rest was just me trying to get better because I was getting bodied pretty badly in SF4 and I didn't understand why.

For overall inspiration I would have to name guys like Alex Valle, Justin Wong, JuiceboxAbel, Aris, Arturo Sanchez, Tom Brady and REO. These players are always sharing their knowledge, analysis and strats either on twitter, twitch, youtube or on forums to help players step up their game to the next level. And that's what I respect most about them, not their tournament record. (PR Balrog, Chris G, Tokido and Daigo are some of my favorite top players but they didn't help me become better at fighting games).

I can't name Ultradavid and James Chen because I was already good at fighting games before they even started UltraChenTV lol! Same with Gootecks and Mike Ross. These guys didn't really help me but I'm sure they helped and continue to help many new players. :)

But the two biggest things that made me go from mid-level scrub to high level was reading the Sonic Hurricane handbook of footsies and watching Vesper Arcade's SF4 tutorial on youtube. That's when everything became obvious to me and I finally understood things like fundamentals, spacing, footsies, frame data, 50/50s, frametraps, safe jumps and option-selects. That was when I became good at fighting games. From that point on I could hop into any fighting game and hold my own against top level players. Because I just understood how fighting games worked and I understood that fundamentals, footsies and mindgames were universal to every fighting game and couldn't be lost or forgotten.

TheBard

Noob
A fine blend of abusing the 3rd Strike machine while coins were up elsewhere in the arcade and being forced to learn how to back up my shit talking after SF IV caused that fighting boom. Although, good is a relative statement... What's that place where you're better than everyone you know in real life, but you still have to work your ass off online?

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
Mr_Swizzer was one of my first.serious training partners I remember playing, came into the mk scene late so didn't play to much with the UK guys but @i2_gauge xarakamaka where fun to play with, and hearing @i2_gauge repeatedly say you cannot punish the d1 smoke bomb is still funny lol. @mr_got_merked @disleksix Solo and BDMao88 were fun