What's new

Who do you owe credit to for being as good as you are at fighting games?

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
I owe 4x4lo8o all of the credit for getting me into fighting games, but it would have to be watching maxter/gga Han, and fighting my little brother that made me good.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Myself for my dedication to want to learn MK two years ago. Youtube. TESTYOURMIGHT!!!! Tom Brady PSN XBL
My daily sparring partner Skeezer, and Jazz Slaj has given me some great matches helping me level up in Injustice.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
For fighters in general? Getting stomped bt Kamuimoon at a Guilty Gear local inspired me in so many ways, from helping me to identify my preferred playstyle to spurring me to level up my game as much as possible.

As for MK9: early GameFAQs days like others here. Injustice I'm working on being good, but credit goes to those same people plus NRF

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
My offline guys:
xmygodx
BigMilk
@cheezepuff88
Zoidberg747
Two-One
Mothmonsterman0

My online training partners
GamerBlake90
Marvaz
knoterror
Bildslash
Tom Brady
killa_solid
Ghostface777o0o
xQUANTUMx
Joker8417
NRF CharlieMurphy
AK Pig Of The Hut
Rampage254
@police_brutaility
@max intensity
Espio
xFriction_Burnx
gr8one06
@red_raptor10
GGA pimpimjim

If it weren't for my offline AND ONLINE training partners, as well as the guys I theory fought with on the boards, i would be even more free than I am now.

I'm not very good, but if I were to give credit it would have to be to the MK 2/umk3 community.

David Gem
btbb99
Kanomk2
Cuko28
Gematria
NoDoubtArion
dciguy

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
@pnd_mustard\
|> Both giving me the motivation watching them play. I think they were one of my first tournament players I watched
PND_Ketchup /
A F0xy Grampa > for helping me understand what footsies were and how to actually play the game properly along with the twins.
FOREVER KING my competition basically online. Always kept me in the competitive vibe and made me want to be on top since we first met from mkdc.

Yeah if it wasn't for these guys I would be hoodfreshv2

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I'm just an online scrub, but I'll list anyways because swag.

Playpal - Gave me some great feedback when I asked, also taught me not to jump. I still do, just not as much lol
Espio - For long sets. Rarely jumps, helped me in learning more in footsies.
Killphil - For letting me frame-trap him to death. Naw, for the long sets as well. Helped me learn MUs and just general experience.
Rampage254 - Long sets and MU experience. Forever a bro

Then just (watching) a bunch of tourney players.
Curbo
Pig
XBLADES
CDJr
REO
EGP Tyrant
TylerLantern
Erik Warda
Mr. Mileena
etc.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I'm just an online scrub, but I'll list anyways because swag.

Playpal - Gave me some great feedback when I asked, also taught me not to jump. I still do, just not as much lol
Espio - For long sets. Rarely jumps, helped me in learning more in footsies.
Killphil - For letting me frame-trap him to death. Naw, for the long sets as well. Helped me learn MUs and just general experience.
Rampage254 - Long sets and MU experience. Forever a bro

Then just (watching) a bunch of tourney players.
Curbo
Pig
XBLADES
CDJr
REO
EGP Tyrant
TylerLantern
Erik Warda
Mr. Mileena
etc.
<3

MK9:
Aether,
Thanatos,
Distorted Existence,
Black265,
TestYourMight.com,
and I.

Injustice:
TestYourMight.com, and me.
(I'm still free at I:GAU, though)

Kevlang

Noob
I owe my skill level ups to several in this community. I think first and foremost, it would have to be Tom Brady at the top of the list. He had so much content and tips about MK9 for me to delve into. I picked up this game because I was a huge MK fan, but I only played casually until I discovered MK tournament videos on YouTube. Browsing YouTube, I came across CrossCounter TV with gootecks where he and Tom Brady break down the mechanics of the game and I began to understand higher level game play.

I also have to give major props to GGA Slips, @GGA 16-bit, and @K7Leetha for the Kombat Tomb Podcast. I downloaded all of their mp3 archives and would listen to them multiple times over for laughs and revisiting game tips...

I would give up one of my toes to have the KTP return to its original glory as the official podcast of TYM.

I also have to give shout outs to my Smoke role models, xSMoKEx and @GGA Wafflez. Their videos on YouTube kept me motivated to level up with Smoke.

Also Thanks to Mr_Swizzer for being a patient online training partner, even when my Internet was sucking it up...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Permodius for playing with me so much. He taught me everything I needeed to know from a fundamental stand point. By playing him I learned about things such as anti airs, spacing, whiff punishing, etc. He was definitely a superior player at the start of MK9 and playing him so much on a regular basis made me level up very fast. I think a lot of online players learned from this guy tbh, he was always playing in public KOTH's with people.

Next, Aris . I'll never forget me and my friend saw our first tournament footage and both Aris (my Smoke role model) and Michaelangelo (his Kabal role model) were both playing. We watched the archives numerous times and I just tried to dissect his gameplay and understand why he did what he did. He also produced a fairly simple Smoke guide at release but it helped me grasp some deeper concepts within the game.

My entire clan RM, we played each other so much I got to learn a lot of match ups while meeting some good people.

REO, CDjr, CD and Maxter (VSM Crew). I watched these 4 dominate as they were very ahead of the curve for awhile, I learned how to really play MK9 by understanding the current poke metagame that they practically invented.

And of course other top players who I watched (sometimes played against) and learned from like 16Bit, DetroitBalln, Curbo, Pig, Death, Khaotik, Soup, etc.

All my smoke bros throughout the game like ATL Redd, KT Smith, Wafflez, Mcnasty, Ribbz, Frothy, etc for keeping the Smoke community evolving as all of us contributed to this character in one way or another.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
In the Arcade days, the many players in NJ I played against all over the place helped build my foundation. In MKII, one of my best friends to this day played me in MKII and MK3 on SNES quite a bit. He was more like target practice though. He still tries to play. I would say my first truly competitive gaming experience came from another friend's older brothers. They both played Kitana in MKII on SNES and eventually when I could beat them consistently, they stopped playing against me. This is the truest sign you have leveled up.

dreemernj of course was my sparring partner from the mid 90s until the early 2000s for various fighting games, notably MKT on PSX, MK3 and UMK3 in the arcade, and various SFs, Soul Edge, a little Tekken, some Vs games etc. We helped each other evolve some extremely unorthodox playing styles centered almost entirely around reading, prediction and adaptation. We also tried to get into 3rd Strike and SF4 when it was online for PC.

There was also a very good NJ player in the mid 90s named Eric from my home town. He is as responsible as anyone for me becoming deeply interested in competitive fighting games and ultimately taking that knowledge on to the FGC. He taught me how really to play vanilla MK3 at West Coast Video in my home town. For the longest time, Check and I would talk to each other about an MK player named Eric we trained by, but recently we discovered it is not the same Eric.

The Prophet - he brought me to a true competitive level in MKT and UMK3, among those also various SF games like Super Turbo, Alpha 3, 3rd Strike, CvS2 and MvC2. He was the first person to ever talked to me about frame data, around the time of CvS2 and SCII was when I frame data started getting thrown around more and more. When I first met Ryan, he beat me easily 7 to 3 in MKT and it took years to even out. The Prophet, I believe, was trained by the same Eric as Check. The Prophet also played against Tom Brady in MK3, and perhaps other games in the mid 90s.

Julian Robinson was a tough player for me to overcome, the Prophet and I both had to step it up a notch in the early 2000s to compete with him in UMK3 but he was not much of a practicing MK player anymore.

I developed a Reptile strategy against Kabal by playing a little bit against TomBrady in the mid 2000s. I have since modified it bit by bit against other Kabal players and it's a very fun match now.

There were many players on Kaillera for UMK3, XvSF, MvSF, MvC, and SFA3 that I had a lot of fun playing against, most notably Blazt the Speakers and BlazeD. Played SO much Marvel 1 vs them but not enough using LAN connection since there was a huge desire to play 2 on 2 matches where generally it was impossible to get 4 people all willing to use LAN setting on Kaillera. Played a lot of XvSF vs fLoE in the early 2000s. Online gradually got worse and worse though and I stopped playing on Kaillera and online altogether. I would say that I learned how to throw better by playing online because at times it was the only reliable option, particularly in XvSF. Throwing is a huge part of my strategy today which is part of the reason I play Gief and Hugo. I would also say that I influenced many more players than I was influenced by, and I still get personal online requests to this day.

The XBOX Live UMK3 days I played against a great many players regularly and racked up a Ranked Game record of 967 and 33. I believe this is where I spent the most time playing against Konqrr after he leveled up. Playing on Kaillera was difficult for him because he was on a server with 90ms where I had in the teens.

Over the years, players like REO, CRAZY DOMINICAN, LI Joe, NoDoubt, summoning, AC1984 have been my more common UMK3 opponents who have helped me maintain my skill in UMK3 which I think plateaued around 2011.

I hope to get into SF4 when Hugo is released for it, I might even be looking for online training partners for it...and if I missed anyone, I apologize, please feel free to call me out on it.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i got into fighting games through my cousin. he introduced me to video games and started off with sf2 and mk2 on SNES when i was around 2 or 2. later on i played a lot of fighting games on dreamcast like soul calibur, dead or alive and marvel 2. i would try any fighting game i could get my hands on for a few years but i was really casual. soul calibur 2 was really the last fighting game i ever played casually. my brother was my only opponent and he got salty after losing. he never became competitive in games really other than when we were growing up. later, i visited my cousin when he moved back to the philippines and he showed me sf4. me playing him reminded me of the competition i had when i was younger and i really liked it.

i started getting into sf4 and about a month after playing that game i went to my first tournament where i ran into KDZ and DarthArma. i have no idea if they remember that specific tournament. it was for vanilla sf4 in some small ass hotel in mahwah, nj. i had no idea how to play fighting games properly and i consistently went to tournaments because i just liked being there and watching. originally i joined the fgc as a spectator who would also enter for the hell of it. i didn't see really much progress in my improvement of sf4 other than by the end of vanilla, i developed a distinctive lame playstyle and say little success. i didn't beat anyone in tournament but i at least saw that it was doing better. i didn't really talk to many people at tournaments. i would just go and not really say much. i guess before i went to college i stayed to myself and wasn't very social. but thats the biggest reason why i felt that it took me so long to get better.

there was a long period between SF4 AE 2010 edition and SC5 that i didn't really play anything seriously. at this time, i would show up to tournaments and chill still, pot monster but people knew who i was. there was marvel, but i didnt like it, i was sick of sf4 and for some reason i didn't really get that into mk9. i had a little stint with anime, where i mashed in arcana heart 3 (that game is fun as hell) and whatever my friend Achtzehn would be playing, whether it be guilty gear, blazblue or melty blood. when i started going into rutgers, there was a big group of melty blood players. i wasn't very good but i mashed and played whenever i was chilling with the rutgers guys. i met players like Colpevole and Grover who went on to be top players in P4A. even though we don't really play games in common, we sometimes mash in each others games just for fun.

when sc5 came out, that was the first time i really went in on a game. i met players like Bibulus, IRM, Jimbonator, Hates, Alex.J, ZeroEffect, JJJ, Sporko, Woahhzz, RedDjinn and Ramon who really made me feel at home with a community and made me want to be more than just a spectator. i played sc5 online really heavily and developed a pretty mediocre game, but at least to a level where i can stomp scrubs. i wasn't by any means that great of a player but i really developed a love for the game and wanted to do everything i can to help the community. Bibulus in particular has helped me a lot understand how to approach games just by talking to the guy a lot. he's the kind of guy that is good at new games because he can break down character matchups really fast. it even helps in games that he doesn't really play.

fast forward to winter brawl 7, where i decided to do that hotdog for the first time, i ended up meeting a retarded amount of people at every event just because i was a dickhead wearing a hotdog suit. i ended up meeting a lot of players from other games and even just talking about how the game your playing works to a player of an outside game really helps. even just having a cigarette and bullshitng about your last match really helpful to reflect on your performance

now with injustice, i started seeing kdz and darth arma again. i also met Riyo who i played a lot with online when the game first came out, and now more so at the break. i haven't really played injustice online much, the netcode is mega ass and i have players in the area. another player i have to credit is one of my friend's Sai (idk what his account is here). we played a lot of games over the summer. he plays flash but doesn't go to tournaments, and i personally think hes better than most flash players. just bouncing ideas off of each other has helped so much in the passed few months. the guys at the break i really have to thank a lot for showing up and playing. thats really the only time i play the game because i fell into the dota vortex.

Shock and anybody else running ultimateMK, those guides were amazing. My housemates and brothers for playing non-stop with me. Random dudes at the arcade helping out a little kid learn the moves and tricks when the internet wasn't as accessible.

Zatanna

Meterburned Interactable Master
AK Pig Of The Hut

I've never been considered good at fighting games, and never really quite cared for them. I only really purchased Injustice because of peer pressure, and even then I was absolutely terrible (my offense was Nightwing's DB2, and my defense was crouch blocking). I really only took an interest in FGs when Zod, who has been one of my favorite characters since I first saw Superman II, was announced. I somehow got bounced over to TYM while looking up news on Zod, and got caught right in the hype surrounding him. Now, I still didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I lurked regardless.

Now, when Zod first came out, I hated him. In my own scrubby mind, he sucked. I was so mad when I got bodied 8-0 by one of my friends using Aquaman's trident rush. I've always hated Aquaman as a character, so this was a crushing defeat. I pretty much dropped Injustice until sometime late in the summer (early August, maybe). I had just been destroyed yet again by that damn Aquaman, and I wasn't going to accept defeat. I watched, read, and listened to every single thing Pig put out about Zod and Injustice, seeing as it seemed he was the top Zod. I didn't understand half the tech he talked about, but I knew it. At the same time, I was backfilling my knowledge with info on FG terms in mechanics. Mixups, Crossups, the entire number notation system - I learned all this in a week. If it hadn't been for Pig's demonstration on what could be done with more advanced tools, as well as the length he went to document how to do those things, I wouldn't have bothered to learn the basics to get up to there.

I'm currently back maining Zod, after brief forrays into Sinestro and Zatanna. While I am still technically a casual, I intend to eventually go beyond that.

TL;DR - Pig's Zod was an example for me to work towards, and it really is why I bothered to learn the basics to apply some of those techniques. So, thanks.

Of course I remember that tournament, that was run by deluxe, he called it "console warzone" Rico Suave got 1st, KDZ took 2nd, And I think I might have taken 3rd, but I dont remember. Unless you are talking about the 2nd console warzone tournament in which KDZ took 1st and I took 2nd. But yeah, I remember the shitty old street fighter 4 days, you were also a baby with no facial hair

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
AK Pig Of The Hut

I've never been considered good at fighting games, and never really quite cared for them. I only really purchased Injustice because of peer pressure, and even then I was absolutely terrible (my offense was Nightwing's DB2, and my defense was crouch blocking). I really only took an interest in FGs when Zod, who has been one of my favorite characters since I first saw Superman II, was announced. I somehow got bounced over to TYM while looking up news on Zod, and got caught right in the hype surrounding him. Now, I still didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I lurked regardless.

Now, when Zod first came out, I hated him. In my own scrubby mind, he sucked. I was so mad when I got bodied 8-0 by one of my friends using Aquaman's trident rush. I've always hated Aquaman as a character, so this was a crushing defeat. I pretty much dropped Injustice until sometime late in the summer (early August, maybe). I had just been destroyed yet again by that damn Aquaman, and I wasn't going to accept defeat. I watched, read, and listened to every single thing Pig put out about Zod and Injustice, seeing as it seemed he was the top Zod. I didn't understand half the tech he talked about, but I knew it. At the same time, I was backfilling my knowledge with info on FG terms in mechanics. Mixups, Crossups, the entire number notation system - I learned all this in a week. If it hadn't been for Pig's demonstration on what could be done with more advanced tools, as well as the length he went to document how to do those things, I wouldn't have bothered to learn the basics to get up to there.

I'm currently back maining Zod, after brief forrays into Sinestro and Zatanna. While I am still technically a casual, I intend to eventually go beyond that.

TL;DR - Pig's Zod was an example for me to work towards, and it really is why I bothered to learn the basics to apply some of those techniques. So, thanks.
Wow thanks

If u ever have questions PM me on here or hit me up on Skype so I can help any way I can

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Of course I remember that tournament, that was run by deluxe, he called it "console warzone" Rico Suave got 1st, KDZ took 2nd, And I think I might have taken 3rd, but I dont remember. Unless you are talking about the 2nd console warzone tournament in which KDZ took 1st and I took 2nd. But yeah, I remember the shitty old street fighter 4 days, you were also a baby with no facial hair

it was the 2nd one. i think slob murph got 3rd. he did a randoms tournament and i wasnt entirely sure how charge characters worked at the time lol

My older brothers played a lot of fighting games with me. We didn't look up tech or anything. We just played with fundamentals. I have very good reads from playing them so often in X-men: Children of the Atom, SFII, Alpha 1,2,3, DoA2,3, Soul Edge, Calibur 1&2. I've always been good at throwing my opponents and that may stem from when I played Fatal Fury on Megadrive/Genesis and would beat the computer with only throws.

Literally from the first opponent to Geese Howard, I threw them all to death. Finally I have a lot of online experience across the board. SF4,VF5, Marvel, DoAU&4 and of course Injustice.

I feel a lot of players today, rely on damage tech to win a fight in as few moves as possible and that's efficient but not many players deviate from these effective tactics and that has the side effect of making them predictable.

I never really learn advanced combos so my damage output is low, this forces me to push my reads as far as I can to compensate against the high damaging combo that my opponent is always trying to land. Another way to look at it is most players are Orthodox boxers. Throw reliable punches in reliable combinations and hone these conventional tools to perfection, however they never deviate from them.

In comparison I don't have the same technical proficiency to maximize my damage output but i'm not shackled to them either. I don't have to obey them and that makes me unpredictable.

Hope I didn't bore anyone or sound like I have an ego. Just trying to be honest.