What's new

Who do you owe credit to for being as good as you are at fighting games?

When I first picked up mk I started learning with scorpion. I got pretty good with him but didn't know frame data yet or anything. Eventually I was so sick of losing to his 50/50 bull shit. It wasn't even about skill. Whether I won or not was due to basically a roll of a dice. Well one day after playing against this asshole who I would often run into, a cyrax player, he beat me and babied me and sent hate mail calling me trash and being super cocky about his win. So I said "that's it, ima get so good at this game and beat people like him with no effort at all." So I went to the xbox live leaderboard and looked at the number one spot and there sat A F0xy Grampa. So I looked him up on youtube and saw he played cage and I said "yep, thats going to be the character I use and I'm going to walk all over people just like this guy does" So I watched every single video of his matches on you tube, listened to everything this guy has said on testyourmight, learned all the frame data, and I didn't become the best in the world at mk but, I will say that there is no mk player that I couldn't take games off of. SO whether I like it or not. I owe most of my skills to Foxy. And also, @Mr. Swizzer was an awesome training partner. Who do you guys owe credit to?

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Cool idea, but in my case... God, what a list. I was not a fast learner, and for a long time actively embraced scrubdom until I found myself inevitably outpacing everyone who played only casually due to the love I had for the games I played and the sheer amount of time I invested into them. I think my first step towards truly leveling up my game was a guy I introduced to fighters, who I beat quite soundly when we first began playing, but he poured himself into it, did tons of lab time and research, and quickly began to construct much smarter strategies and concepts than I had ever really been forced to deal with or understand. That made me really emo for some time more than anything, but it also started to open up the validity of transitioning to a better level and changing my philosophy about how a game "should" work and how to understand them.

While that friend was probably the most critical, ultimately I find it really hard to put much credit towards any one person or any core group of people. I've learned so much from so many unlikely and surprising places, and in a lot of ways I think my affinity for bizarre games has instructed me as much as any player has.

Of course, nothing has ever taught me a work ethic, and my execution is perpetually shit. People have definitely tried to get me to improve on those, but hey, can't fix lazy. So those? Entirely myself to blame.

A close friend that got me into SF4 when it came out and II pulser II who I played allot of injustice with and introduced me to this site.

my little brother. detroit, wound, astronout, belial -- basically every shang player. and every MK player as well since i did my best to learn every character in the game cuz lolshang. mr. wong, chris g, alex valle, top tournament players i used to watch a ton. another friend who helped me grind out other games like mvc/sg/sf. U NO WUT I MEAN

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Even though I disliked the game, umvc3 was what got me much better at fighting games than I was, it trained my muscle memory, my reflexes, my mixup game... It improved everything.
I learned how to anti-air with sf4.
Blazblue keeps reinforcing my fundamentals.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
my little brother. detroit, wound, astronout, belial -- basically every shang player. and every MK player as well since i did my best to learn every character in the game cuz lolshang. mr. wong, chris g, alex valle, top tournament players i used to watch a ton. another friend who helped me grind out other games like mvc/sg/sf. U NO WUT I MEAN
awh thanks guy ;) #props hijacking

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
My trainingbuddys slaj4944 and fr stack.
Also johnny2d, d4, killin natzees, and others i forgot to mention who i play regulary with :)
oh shit , real props :D
but yeah dislexsik , slaj , i play jdizzle a lot too flagg , the pnd hate brigade , also scrub randoms who used to body me for free

Gixxerkid66

ChadtheDad412
1. my local friends who told me over and over how good they were going to be at mk9 when it dropped

2.Every smoke player who ever posted on TYM or MKU and/or posted a video

3.^^^ DS/NW ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

coolwhip

Noob
I don't think I'm that good but I owe it to the internet, basically. I don't have training partners so I just go to TYM, learn about the game, frame data, and spend combined hours watching videos of top players on Youtube. Another credit goes to the internet for the ability to play online. Yeah, it's frustrating as fuck but when you have nobody to train with, you have no other choice, and it's helped me improve.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
My local players that motivated me to improve and gave me someone to play against, and the fact that I was lucky enough to run into people that loved them as well that we're at my age (I was a teenager at the time). Of course, also shoutouts to the forums of the various community sites I've been to and their help. Dustloop, Dreamcancel, 8wayrun, Tekken Zaibatsu, Melty Bread, Skull Heart, SRK, and since I'm on here TYM.

I would like to thank Bane for not destroying my city.

I should probably also credit my sparring partner macro for still finding holes in my game.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Myself. I suck so I wouldn't relate my scrubbiness to anybody.
Asodimazze sorted out my fundamentals a bit though, I think he deserves props one way or another. If not for my skill then for his own.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I was always a masher until SC4 came out thats when I started actually trying to get good. I guess I'll just thank all the scrubs and pros online.