What's new

What to do with my sons skills

Fenro

Nordic myth
Well watching your match with him.. if you want to make him better you should atleast learn to punish the moves that are punishable and not fall for the same mix up ender every time. what i can see from AJ:s gameplay is that he relies to much into unsafe special moves and thats pretty much because they work against you. maby learn 1 character well and do some research on reptiles gameplay and you might be abel to help him out.

he will never get better if he wont start to understand which of his moves are unsafe. (thus learn to punish blocked slide/rush/acidball)
he will never get better if the only offline guy hes fighting against keeps jumping (jumping is never safe in MK its always a risk so stop jumping so much)

the lag and online delay isnt the only thing hes facing against in online, hes facing the fact that he has learned bad habits from fighting you offline.

if you dont have time to learn the game try to get some one tutor him online via microphone

*trust me i know what im talking about as a winer of 2 tournaments in my country + i main reptile and also know enough about johny cage to know you didnt punish him a single time accordingly or use his reset after nutpunch*

JrK

Probably Drunk
Great job dude! I'm very jealous. My son is only almost 2 years old, but he's an electronic freak. He figures that shit out so easily. I hope one day to be making the same thread as you!

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Well watching your match with him.. if you want to make him better you should atleast learn to punish the moves that are punishable and not fall for the same mix up ender every time. what i can see from AJ:s gameplay is that he relies to much into unsafe special moves and thats pretty much because they work against you. maby learn 1 character well and do some research on reptiles gameplay and you might be abel to help him out.

he will never get better if he wont start to understand which of his moves are unsafe. (thus learn to punish blocked slide/rush/acidball)
he will never get better if the only offline guy hes fighting against keeps jumping (jumping is never safe in MK its always a risk so stop jumping so much)

the lag and online delay isnt the only thing hes facing against in online, hes facing the fact that he has learned bad habits from fighting you offline.

if you dont have time to learn the game try to get some one tutor him online via microphone

*trust me i know what im talking about as a winer of 2 tournaments in my country + i main reptile and also know enough about johny cage to know you didnt punish him a single time accordingly or use his reset after nutpunch*
Ok let me clear some things up here.
the he will never get better, i get that, i even mentioned that earlier.
and me jumping? i have played like 2 times in the last month, JC is not my main, and i even mentioned on the video why do i keep jumping, i am well aware of that as well....and yes i know is not safe, you aint telling me nothing new.

AGAIN I HAVENT PLAYED MUCH AND i dont really care cus hes not my main, i just wanted to show off what he can do, and thats not his best reppy at all, he does much better.

anyways, thanks i guess.
but keep in mind, that hes 9, and i am aware of his shortcomings so far, not all maybe? but most, and once he starts playing offline with people other than me? he should improve...oh and yes i mentioned that earlier as well ;)

Fenro

Nordic myth
Ok let me clear some things up here.
the he will never get better, i get that, i even mentioned that earlier.
and me jumping? i have played like 2 times in the last month, JC is not my main, and i even mentioned on the video why do i keep jumping, i am well aware of that as well....and yes i know is not safe, you aint telling me nothing new.

AGAIN I HAVENT PLAYED MUCH AND i dont really care cus hes not my main, i just wanted to show off what he can do, and thats not his best reppy at all, he does much better.

anyways, thanks i guess.
but keep in mind, that hes 9, and i am aware of his shortcomings so far, not all maybe? but most, and once he starts playing offline with people other than me? he should improve...oh and yes i mentioned that earlier as well ;)
Well all in all, from now on, only play against him with your main.
try to tell him what frames are and how they work. i know its allot for 9 years old but you can still try.
Also watch the video about wakeup attacks by tom brady together and explain the facts about invincible frames and such.
knowing how to do combos is nice and i see he has quite good memmory and excecution with them.

what he needs to hone is

1. Hit confirmation
2. mix-ups
3. reptiles 1, 2, 2 (one of his best mix up strings)
4. frame traps
5. rush zoning (ie. taking a back step after 3, 2, 1 so that after rush he stops right infront and can start up pressure)
6. after blocked ex-rush he could try d4 -> db3 and after people start to respect that move to block string
7. at knock downs utilize anti wake up rush tactics (doing it 2-4 times in a row to confuse wake up)
8. getting a safe jump in with exslow force ball
9. zoning with force ball variations.

edit
A great way to show him how frames work is to make kunglao use 3, 2, low hat and show how its properties varie when blocked succesfully and when he eats it.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Jr owning dad = DELICIOUS. :p
Your son definitely has potential! I wonder how far he can go!
But he's not even better because the only player he mostly fought against was you. In order to increase his skills he must fight other people. Online sucks, yeah, but it apparently it's his best option by now, and it definitely helps. But if you ever manage to take him to any casual offline play with other decent players, you'll see how much knowledge he'll acquire.

Keep it up, Alex! :horse:
thanks brother, means a lot :)
heres a small broken freddy combo video he had recorded, i know this are well known, but he came up with them himself, and thats the point here in all of this :)

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Well all in all, from now on, only play against him with your main.
try to tell him what frames are and how they work. i know its allot for 9 years old but you can still try.
Also watch the video about wakeup attacks by tom brady together and explain the facts about invincible frames and such.
knowing how to do combos is nice and i see he has quite good memmory and excecution with them.

what he needs to hone is

1. Hit confirmation
2. mix-ups
3. reptiles 1, 2, 2 (one of his best mix up strings)
4. frame traps
5. rush zoning (ie. taking a back step after 3, 2, 1 so that after rush he stops right infront and can start up pressure)
6. after blocked ex-rush he could try d4 -> db3 and after people start to respect that move to block string
7. at knock downs utilize anti wake up rush tactics (doing it 2-4 times in a row to confuse wake up)
8. getting a safe jump in with exslow force ball
9. zoning with force ball variations.

edit
A great way to show him how frames work is to make kunglao use 3, 2, low hat and show how its properties varie when blocked succesfully and when he eats it.
now thats why i posted this here for, thanks.
i did buy the TB videos for him, and frankly....hes not interested in frame data just yet, but the wake ups he knows, just to stubborn to apply it lol
also please understand that this is like his 5th day or so using reppy.
ad i do use my mains, and he at times manage to win some, and i never go easy on him, never. as it does him no good.

all in all, hes just a kid, ill letting have fun playing and learning the things he wants to learn, i will of course teach him, but will not force anything that he just dont want to do.

i think playing others besides me, will greatly increase what he has going for him so far.
but for having main reppy less than a week and have the 3,2,1,dash,njp combo starter down pat? thats really good, and not just because hes my son.

thanks for the comments ;)

EDIT: i also want to say thanks again for all the support and interest all of you great people here on TYM have shown, it means a lot to me and my son AJ.
I humbly give my gratitude to all that have contributed to his play style and all the great advice that has been given....thank you so much :)

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
heres him using sz, :)
probably the last i will post when it comes to videos. already had to delete and block KiLLxDoZeR for calling my 9 year old a prick. seriously? sad. hes a child. and as his father i cant stand anyone attacking my child, i would literally go to jail for it. anyways, here it is
skip to 3:48 to see freddys glitch on smoke.

EDIT:
Great job dude! I'm very jealous. My son is only almost 2 years old, but he's an electronic freak. He figures that shit out so easily. I hope one day to be making the same thread as you!
Thanks brother, i hope youl find nice people like the ones here.
it feels good brother, it really does, but am sure you know that as a father yourself when your tot just does things that make you go....WTF lol

Fenro

Nordic myth
heres him using sz, :)
probably the last i will post when it comes to videos. already had to delete and block KiLLxDoZeR for calling my 9 year old a prick. seriously? sad. hes a child. and as his father i cant stand anyone attacking my child, i would literally go to jail for it. anyways, here it is
skip to 3:48 to see freddys glitch on smoke.

EDIT:

Thanks brother, i hope youl find nice people like the ones here.
it feels good brother, it really does, but am sure you know that as a father yourself when your tot just does things that make you go....WTF lol
giving some tips on his subz

1. saw allot of that slide. lessen it up its unsafe on block and should only be used as anti projectile and occasionally as wakeup
2. Clones are the best tool subz has use 2,1,2 to clone string on corners for pressure. also do air clones and try to bait someone for a jump clash
3. try to always fight with at least one clone active and fight out near the clone. it makes the opponent scared of retaliating
4. 22 to iceblot is a great anti-air

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
giving some tips on his subz
1. saw allot of that slide. lessen it up its unsafe on block and should only be used as anti projectile and occasionally as wakeup
2. Clones are the best tool subz has use 2,1,2 to clone string on corners for pressure. also do air clones and try to bait someone for a jump clash
3. try to always fight with at least one clone active and fight out near the clone. it makes the opponent scared of retaliating
4. 22 to iceblot is a great anti-air
1- yup, keep telling him that, his excuse? i forget lol but i agree 100%
hell find out the hard way if he doesnt change it when he faces high level players :'(
2-3- keep telling him that as well, but he has an aggressive style of play, even with Shang Tsung he goes in for the kill, he hates zoning lol
4- good point, will have him practice that later today :)

thanks for the comments brother, very useful tips :)
it is appreciated on my end :)

What is the best way to try to explain to him about frame data?
am pondering as to how to do it, just cant come up with a simple tutorial for him to understand it :(
thanks

Just tell him that when the game projects the video, it's actually flashing pictures really quickly. Each picture is called a a frame. The game flashes 60 fps. Each move has start up frames, execution frames and recovery frames. Use block strings that have the fastest recovery frames (safe or advantage), and becareful of attacks that have long start up frames (like B2 charged or iceball). Something like that, I'm not too big on this kind of stuff.

Add me up sometime and i'll face your kid. I play a decent sub and JC and whenever I go online I kick everyone else off their computer to clear up bandwidth and ensure there's no lag.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Just tell him that when the game projects the video, it's actually flashing pictures really quickly. Each picture is called a a frame. The game flashes 60 fps. Each move has start up frames, execution frames and recovery frames. Use block strings that have the fastest recovery frames (safe or advantage), and becareful of attacks that have long start up frames (like B2 charged or iceball). Something like that, I'm not too big on this kind of stuff.

Add me up sometime and i'll face your kid. I play a decent sub and JC and whenever I go online I kick everyone else off their computer to clear up bandwidth and ensure there's no lag.
haha, i dont think he will get that at all, but will see.
thanks brother.

I doubt he will care about frame data at the age of 9..
oh i know, i know for a fact he doesnt and or is not interested in that stuff lol
but does not hurt to try, if he says no? then so be it :)

Sasuga

Noob
You Sir, are one kick ass father! How cool is that, you have a son who you can play offline MK with. He'll be really good later because he starts with this so soon. Children also have the perfect mindset to be competitive. They don't mind spamming if it makes them win. :)

Just take him to the training mode and teach him how to punish there. No frame data needed. He will understand that some moves are faster than others and some aren't fast enough.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
This is a great thread, kudos for both your son and for you.
He plays incredibly for not only a 9 year old, but i saw you mention he has only been playing reptile for maybe 5 days.
Some classic flaws with his play, but practice and they will soon be ironed out, with not only your encouragement but his own understanding as he progresses.
He will soon enough notice what gets him the win, and what gets him killed, and adapt to each.

On the note of frame data- Without the use of extreme guides and studying there will only be so far you can explain it to him (Thats if he even cares, or is interested)
But for a simple starter of frame data i would tell him or even show him something very extreme and easy to understand like Reptile dash VS CZ Ice ball: If they are both used at the same time, Reptiles dash will beat it out... Could also try explaining this via pokes like get a fast normal vs a slow normal and show which will beat which to him. Then you can start to get into detail with stuff, like KL Spin will beat most things out because it has such little frames.

One thing i have to make sure you take care of, if your son becomes the next "Child Prodigy" like Noah from evo, he WILL be hated. Not by everyone, and definately the majority of mature players will be happy for him and congratulate him. But one thing that really upset/shocked me was the front page article pure HATE for Noah the prodigy on the Shoryuken forums. Dont take it to heart or anything because the internet is full of haters and trolls, just a pre-warning for you for the future!

gdf

Noob
What I will said probably has already been said, but hone your son's skills so that we can tell the Capcom community that they aren't the only ones with childhood prodigies. :D :p
Besides that, I see you play Kung Lao. Does your son pick characters based on character design? Because Kung Lao looks kinda weird (I main him though so it's okay), but if that is why, if at all, the reason he doesn't use Kung Lao, it is fine.
However, if he meets someone, in a tournament who uses broken moves, I would recommend having pocket Kung Lao. Do you get what I am saying?

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
This is a great thread, kudos for both your son and for you.
He plays incredibly for not only a 9 year old, but i saw you mention he has only been playing reptile for maybe 5 days.
Some classic flaws with his play, but practice and they will soon be ironed out, with not only your encouragement but his own understanding as he progresses.
He will soon enough notice what gets him the win, and what gets him killed, and adapt to each.

On the note of frame data- Without the use of extreme guides and studying there will only be so far you can explain it to him (Thats if he even cares, or is interested)
But for a simple starter of frame data i would tell him or even show him something very extreme and easy to understand like Reptile dash VS CZ Ice ball: If they are both used at the same time, Reptiles dash will beat it out... Could also try explaining this via pokes like get a fast normal vs a slow normal and show which will beat which to him. Then you can start to get into detail with stuff, like KL Spin will beat most things out because it has such little frames.

One thing i have to make sure you take care of, if your son becomes the next "Child Prodigy" like Noah from evo, he WILL be hated. Not by everyone, and definately the majority of mature players will be happy for him and congratulate him. But one thing that really upset/shocked me was the front page article pure HATE for Noah the prodigy on the Shoryuken forums. Dont take it to heart or anything because the internet is full of haters and trolls, just a pre-warning for you for the future!
thanks brother, and ill do that as well, never knew his dash would own the ice ball, that makes me xD and then :'( lol

thats sad about Noah,how can you hate on a child is beyond me brother. man i have very thin skin when it comes to my brood, i lose it to quick.
thanks for the great post ;)

You Sir, are one kick ass father! How cool is that, you have a son who you can play offline MK with. He'll be really good later because he starts with this so soon. Children also have the perfect mindset to be competitive. They don't mind spamming if it makes them win. :)

Just take him to the training mode and teach him how to punish there. No frame data needed. He will understand that some moves are faster than others and some aren't fast enough.
thanks brother, yeah i tried a little bit last night, but it was no good lol
hes like, hey look at this combo lol

What I will said probably has already been said, but hone your son's skills so that we can tell the Capcom community that they aren't the only ones with childhood prodigies. :D :p
Besides that, I see you play Kung Lao. Does your son pick characters based on character design? Because Kung Lao looks kinda weird (I main him though so it's okay), but if that is why, if at all, the reason he doesn't use Kung Lao, it is fine.
However, if he meets someone, in a tournament who uses broken moves, I would recommend having pocket Kung Lao. Do you get what I am saying?
LOL i think he does lol, he hates KL too, well i have something to do with that xD
but i completely get what you are saying ;)
thanks for the comments :)

-M-

Noob
Too bad the GameFAQs mods are idiots, had to specifically hunt down this thread here because of it, but looks like all the most important stuff has been said, good luck to you and your kid.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Shang Bang.

Already told you.
yeah i know, but if he chooses not too, i wont force him ;)
besides he can do rush down play with shang bang lol
ill be recording more matches and keep this thread updated with his progress.

thank you all for all the support we have received :)

Too bad the GameFAQs mods are idiots, had to specifically hunt down this thread here because of it, but looks like all the most important stuff has been said, good luck to you and your kid.
Thanks brother, i been getting that ever since i left, thanks for the support brother :)

Too bad he's 9 though, you can't really expect him to play with other 9 year olds. Not only will he destroy them, but the parents will probably get pissed at their kid playing mortal kombat.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Hopefully its as obvious as ever where you should be posting.

just sayin'.

Wow your son is pretty impressive for his age. Of course he needs to work on a few things that have been mentioned already but I can see him taking some local tournaments and if he keeps practicing could possibly do well at EVO if you go next year.