What's new

What to do with my sons skills

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Hello, as some of you know, i have to Kids that Play MK9, one lost all interest, hes 11, and the other one is 9, and thats Alex Jr(will call him AJ from here on out)

Anyways, before i begin, please leave all the: why you let your kid play this mature game kinda stupid comments out please.

Ok, i personally havent play a whole lot, to busy making $$$ xD
But AJ just keeps on practicing all day.
He still has trouble online, the input delay gets him all the time, but offline? Hes getting very very good.he knows a lot of characters, like 20 of them to be precise, and thats way more than me :'(

Recently while watching CHECK4900 The beast of youtube combo videos :p
he decided to pick up reptile as he was inspired by checks reppy ;)
we do this all the time, me and AJ watch mostly check, but others like TL,hoodfresh and premo we watch as well.

anyways, i tried maining reptile, and i gave up lol, i couldnt get the 3,2,1,dasch,njp combo starter going, so i said screw it.
but AJ seems to b a different breed, in just one day he mastered that combo starter, and he can do just about all of reppys combos easily.
To me for only being 9 years old, thats very impressive.

he still has ways to go, but i am so proud of him just because the way he learns so freaking quick.
reppy is not the only one hes good with, like i said, he mains like 20 charcters lol, but i think reppy is his best one so far.

anyways, i am a decent player, i do ok ;)
but i am afraid that with online sucking the way it does for him, that all his skills will diminish as time goes by, fighting the same person over and over again will not have you get better in general as opposed to fighting others instead of just me.

I know no one near me that we can just hop on over for some games that play this game.
AU_DIGIMON dont live to far, so i have to get together with him to see if my sons skills are worth flourishing, i personally think so, but would like others opinion on it.

I have fought some people online with massive win/loss records who are beastly at this game, and AJ was able to dominate them with ease at times. Some of them are telling me that hes a child prodigy, but i dont want to believe that till a skilled player faces him offline, since online is not a true measure of some ones skills imho.

I guess i just need advice on how to cultivate his skills.
Any response on the matter will be greatly appreciated, as i would love for him to achieve greater things than I :)

I am so Proud of AJ, brings tears to my eyes just thinking as to how great he could be with the right teachers showing him the ways of high level gameplay.
again he has ways to go, but so far, hes in all honesty, better than half the people ive faced online.

I will try to record a match of him and me and posted here so you guys could comments as well.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time.

EDIT: Heres him kicking my ass LOL
heres a small broken freddy combo video he had recorded, i know this are well known, but he came up with them himself, and thats the point here in all of this :)
heres him using sz, :)
probably the last i will post when it comes to videos. already had to delete and block KiLLxDoZeR for calling my 9 year old a prick. seriously? sad. hes a child. and as his father i cant stand anyone attacking my child, i would literally go to jail for it. anyways, here it is
skip to 3:48 to see freddys glitch on smoke.

yes i know, i have to get with it :p
just been to busy this past month to practice :(
but i dont want to take anything away from AJ, he has put in the time, and the results are very promising :)
thanks for watching :)
[video=youtube_share;HUkeuJ9g8JQ]http://youtu.be/HUkeuJ9g8JQ[/video]
Heres a few combo videos AJ wanted me to share, kid all he does is MK9 lol...Love IT haha
Thanks for watching and commenting.
Oh and the sonya and reptile tag one seems to be original,i really havent seen it at all :)
I suck with Liu Kang, so :p LOL

This is him sucking with Jax, he got PWNED YEAH!!!! LOL
Actually hes much much better with Jax, i can hardly beat him :(
so this clip does not show his true skill with Jax.
why post this then? just so he dont get a big ol head ;)
Thanks for all the support :)
More to come :confused: meep? LOL

Heres a few vids of me looking like a fool lol
Cant wait to get the brand new ps2 pads that are coming tomorrow, freaking gamestop shit pads suck ass and they stick like crazy.... :(
anyways, round 2 of part-2 is funny lol
More vids will be uploaded to my channel by tomorrow, nothing big, just some fun fight :)
Thanks for watching.
Part-1
Part-2

Hey Catch.
Who said a 9 Yr. Old playing a mature game is wrong? I played these games when I was 2-3.
I Would like to see some matches.

Online Doesn't determine who is good/bad and can even downgrade your playing level.
But, Playing against one person and one person only can also mess up your gaming.
I only play online when i'm DESPERATE.(all the time.)

If AJ is alright with it, do try to get in touch with DIGI and have some casuals/tourneys at his house or place of interest.
Hone his skills against competitive players, and get him into tournaments.
But don't force him to do something he doesn't want to. Kid's don't really enjoy that.

Sorry for the messy style of my post.
Hope this helps any.
~Hound.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Hey Catch.
Who said a 9 Yr. Old playing a mature game is wrong? I played these games when I was 2-3.

Online Doesn't determine who is good/bad and can even downgrade your playing level.
But, Playing against one person and one person only can also mess up your gaming.

If AJ is alright with it, do try to get in touch with DIGI and have some casuals/tourneys at his house or place of interest.
But don't force him to do something he doesn't want to. Kid's don't really enjoy that.

Hope this helps any.
~Hound.
Yeah am just waiting a responce as to when me and AJ can stop by DIGIMONS house, and i will definately talk to him about a small casuals tournament just to see here hes at, so thanks for the reply and the great idea ;)

also i say about people saying shit like that, is because i have been crusified for it before, i think here and in other places.
i think i know how to raise my children, so far ive been doing a good job with the 4 i have :)

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
He sounds amazing for a 9 year old. Gaming is changing and I'm sure when hes older if he's good enough he could play games full time and even earn money (if he doesn't grow out of them). It's porbably to early to say what should happen though, let him grow up first and see what he wants to do. I think metalwolf summed it up nicely.

H2O FARMER

Crazy 88 king
Nice another junior MK champ.I also have a 9yr old tat plays this game, if you raise your kids right it doesnt matter what games/movies/music theyre into.If youre interested in him getting more online practice in hit me up we can get our boys together for some rounds.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Make him into the next Sako Noko.

But seriously, I personally do believe some people have an affinity for Fighting Games that allows them to progress beyond what the average Joe is capable of, even if both spend equal amount of time in said game, your son may have it. I'd just let him keep playing, let him get better and see where it goes. However if he does want to stop playing sometime, then of course let him, you can't force talent to grow, even if it's there.

If he continues to enjoy it and with his ability, he will eventually go far; young minds absorb alot of knowledge, much more quickly than us adults so this, even as cliche as it is, a chance for him to become very very good if he sticks with this interest.

Just... don't get him into MMOs. Just don't.

And it's one thing to be good at the game. It's another to be involved in the community. He could be playing this game for months, but then get tired of it and forget all about fighting games. The community is what keeps alot of people going.

But hey, if he does get tired of fighting games there's nothing you can do about it. Hell, who's to say we all won't get tired of it in a couple months. I've only got a couple weeks til school starts.

definately try to find him some good competition and let him work on his game.

and besides video games are actually good for kids, apparently it strengthens the decision-making process of the human mind. dont let him play all day though :D

like playpal said, try to keep him up to date with the updates that you see on this website and he'll be leveling up his game for sure

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Thank you all for all the suggestions, they are very much appreciated :)
i am definately taking everything in, this is very much appreciated :)
and no he plays other games too, specially FPS :D
no MMO's lol
and nothing with nudity in it, and until mk shows me a nipple? he can still play it xD

Thanks fellas :)

EDIT: Oh and i forgot to tell you, normally he gets bored with a game after he beats it, like me lol
but just like me, he has not put this game down since the demo came out :)

Catch.
Sorry to hear that man, my dad's mom just died about a month ago. The whole family had a hard time going through that at the time.
Whatever helps them with it. Whether it be Games, Sports, Cooking, or just having fun.
Keep doing what your doing, Catch.
~Hound.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Catch.
Sorry to hear that man, my dad's mom just died about a month ago. The whole family had a hard time going through that at the time.
Whatever helps them with it. Whether it be Games, Sports, Cooking, or just having fun.
Keep doing what your doing, Catch.
~Hound.
Thank you brother, at least theres some that do understand. And am sorry for your loss as well, its hard brother, cus i have to try to be the glue that holds us together :(
Her mom died on sunday july 3rd of a Brain aneurysm, bad day to die on for sure since is just hours of 4th of july :(

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Hey Catch.

Hope this helps any.
~Hound.
Going by DIGI'S on monday :)
will get to talk to him then, and see what he thinks, hes my son, so while i understand that i may be biased lol, i also know that hes pretty good for his age.

also this will be my first time playing some one with skills offline for me as well...cant wait to get my ass handed to me :D

Thanks DIGIMON for doing this brother, It is appreciated a whole lot brother :)

Nice another junior MK champ.I also have a 9yr old tat plays this game, if you raise your kids right it doesnt matter what games/movies/music theyre into.If youre interested in him getting more online practice in hit me up we can get our boys together for some rounds.
oops, sorry i forgot to answer you lol
yeah for sure brother, hell be player#2, just let me know when brother ;)

Niflheim

Noob
I'm only 14(lol) and I've been playing Mortal Kombat since I was young. Not to brag or anything, but I am an excelled student that has been taking courses beyond my level (college level) and doing well. Playing violent video games did nothing to me as a kid and I seem fine. You see, when I was nine, I mostly played videogames at home but at school I had a lot of friends, went to the park after school, etc. Playing video games well does not make one and outcast. This is just a cliché and doesn't really matter for many. I know several very athletic people that do very well at MK and like to verse me. They also play videogames more than me so yeah.

Anyways, at the age of nine, this kid seems to be a beast for his age. You must defiantly embrace this and allow him to go play with other "pros" in your area. I teach other kids younger than me and older, and online is no good mode to practice, but you already seem to know that. ;) I'd say take him to a tournament or two in your area if you have one also, denying a kid of what they like to do leads to very bad things as an adult. It may even lead to depression or suicide(not to be negative). Just try to play some casuals with DIGIMON and others you may find out about.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Hello, as some of you know, i have to Kids that Play MK9, one lost all interest, hes 11, and the other one is 9, and thats Alex Jr(will call him AJ from here on out)

Anyways, before i begin, please leave all the: why you let your kid play this mature game kinda stupid comments out please.

Ok, i personally havent play a whole lot, to busy making $$$ xD
But AJ just keeps on practicing all day.
He still has trouble online, the input delay gets him all the time, but offline? Hes getting very very good.he knows a lot of characters, like 20 of them to be precise, and thats way more than me :'(

Recently while watching CHECK4900 The beast of youtube combo videos :p
he decided to pick up reptile as he was inspired by checks reppy ;)
we do this all the time, me and AJ watch mostly check, but others like TL,hoodfresh and premo we watch as well.

anyways, i tried maining reptile, and i gave up lol, i couldnt get the 3,2,1,dasch,njp combo starter going, so i said screw it.
but AJ seems to b a different breed, in just one day he mastered that combo starter, and he can do just about all of reppys combos easily.
To me for only being 9 years old, thats very impressive.

he still has ways to go, but i am so proud of him just because the way he learns so freaking quick.
reppy is not the only one hes good with, like i said, he mains like 20 charcters lol, but i think reppy is his best one so far.

anyways, i am a decent player, i do ok ;)
but i am afraid that with online sucking the way it does for him, that all his skills will diminish as time goes by, fighting the same person over and over again will not have you get better in general as opposed to fighting others instead of just me.

I know no one near me that we can just hop on over for some games that play this game.
AU_DIGIMON dont live to far, so i have to get together with him to see if my sons skills are worth flourishing, i personally think so, but would like others opinion on it.

I have fought some people online with massive win/loss records who are beastly at this game, and AJ was able to dominate them with ease at times. Some of them are telling me that hes a child prodigy, but i dont want to believe that till a skilled player faces him offline, since online is not a true measure of some ones skills imho.

I guess i just need advice on how to cultivate his skills.
Any response on the matter will be greatly appreciated, as i would love for him to achieve greater things than I :)

I am so Proud of AJ, brings tears to my eyes just thinking as to how great he could be with the right teachers showing him the ways of high level gameplay.
again he has ways to go, but so far, hes in all honesty, better than half the people ive faced online.

I will try to record a match of him and me and posted here so you guys could comments as well.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time.
I'd be really pleased if my father had pushed me to become a top-tier tournament level fighting video game player when I was 9.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Uploading a video of 2 fights of me and AJ :D
And please dont hate my JC, as hes still in diapers lol
Thanks for all the support and advice.

Well if he's as good as he sounds, start taking him to tourneys and when the next major comes, he can win it and take home the cash. You could retire afterwards and you'll both be set for life. Open up an offshore bank account, buy a mansion in an exotic and foreign country, play MK all day in the mansion and hire obedient women for both of yous to dust your balls off at command.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Yea mk1 was the first game I played(at 4). Start, up, up were the first buttons I pressed(scorp's fatality). Its neat that your kid is learning the ins and out of the game. Makes me wish this shit was out when I was younger. (I mean the better games) The only thing I would say is we're all fighting a battle of some sort. We don't know each other so I wouldn't use or abuse any personal information to people.

aj1701

Noob
I did nothing but play video games growing up. It got me into computers, wanting to program games. It lead me to the career I have now as a software engineer. While I got into it wanting to build games, I didn't limit myself to that, and never even applied at a gaming company. All business software.

That whole "should be out in the park" BS is just that. While I did do that too, after a certain age it was video games and electronics / chemistry sets and reading D&D books. And as I got older, it did become more and more video games.

I've really got to know.. what the hell is so special about running around outside? Good exercise, sure, but other than that? Nothing I can think of. Christ, sometimes I think people think its better just because thats what kids "have always done."

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Bring him down to FxS in Northbrook on the 2nd. 3 days of casual and tourney play.
i will definately try to do that, when is it? and where? if it has been posted please provide me a link :)
i will find out what DIGIMON thinks of him since hes seen and competed against others of high level gameplay.
Thanks for the comment brother.

also the video will be up soon i hope, taking for ever to upload :(

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
i will definately try to do that, when is it? and where? if it has been posted please provide me a link :)
i will find out what DIGIMON thinks of him since hes seen and competed against others of high level gameplay.
Thanks for the comment brother.

also the video will be up soon i hope, taking for ever to upload :(
I just looked it up. Its in NorthBrooke again... I might be able to make this one as well. Gotta get these Chicago tourneys when I can.

http://www.focus-fire.com/

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
I just looked it up. Its in NorthBrooke again... I might be able to make this one as well. Gotta get these Chicago tourneys when I can.

http://www.focus-fire.com/
arrrg, i cant take him to that since is on a week day :(
school here starts on september 1st :(
Thanks for the info tho, very much appreciated, ill see if i can make it tho :)

LMFAO lol well played sir, well played lol

Tim Static

Adminerator
Thread cleaned.

Theme, you posted exactly what he asked you not to add. How hard is it to follow directions? Damn bro. Its his kid, not yours so dont worry about whatever it is he decides to do. Wrong or right, it isnt your place. So please stay out this thread and just dont communicate with catch22, and same with him to you.