General/Other - Tempest What +12 Means to Tempest Lao

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
So, as it stands:

- DJT thinks it makes no difference
- FK thinks it makes no difference
- PL thinks it makes no difference

Why are people freaking out?
really? We'll see at Evo. Totally not expecting to put them on blast or anything for dropping tempest Lao for anything else or something.

YoShadowFiend

"I will not be so passive, in your demise."
Anyway, we will see what happens at EVO. Aside from his damage output, his crazy pressure and strong meter gain is what made him so good. but with the pressure nerf we will see how well he does at EVO.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
So I now have the patch and checked out the new blockstun, if after a blocked EX hat spin up close you try to unblock, and Kung Lao follows up with standing 1, you WILL get hit, even in neutral crouch. Anyone whom it whiffs on simply depends on the size of their crouching hitbox.

All this patch really does is sieve out the fraud Tempest players lol.

Not to sound like a condescending dick, but since I actually understand Lao's frames, if anyone has anymore inquiries if you don't have access to the patch yet, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
So I now have the patch and checked out the new blockstun, if after a blocked EX hat spin up close you try to unblock, and Kung Lao follows up with standing 1, you WILL get hit, even in neutral crouch. Anyone whom it whiffs on simply depends on the size of their crouching hitbox.

All this patch really does is sieve out the fraud Tempest players lol.

Not to sound like a condescending dick, but since I actually understand Lao's frames, if anyone has anymore inquiries if you don't have access to the patch yet, I'm all ears.

This is all I needed to know, so basically it changes nothing. My game plan took literally 0 changes because of this.

JDM

Noob
This is all I needed to know, so basically it changes nothing. My game plan took literally 0 changes because of this.
Wait I don't get it. I thought that you could duck??

What was the problem with DMS' post? Was he not doing it correctly or not running after EX hat or what

STRYKIE

Wait I don't get it. I thought that you could duck??

What was the problem with DMS' post? Was he not doing it correctly or not running after EX hat or what
The video in the OP was demonstrated on Quan, Lao's standing 1 tends to whiff on his hitbox either way. It has nothing to do with it being a high.

Reactions: JDM

STRYKIE

I usually do a short run cancel to close the gap, that way it'd work on quan as well
Hmm, well pre-patch you had plenty of time to do that, now you have 4 frames... You might have to settle for checking with F2 on him from now on.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Hmm, well pre-patch you had plenty of time to do that, now you have 4 frames... You might have to settle for checking with F2 on him from now on.
It should be doable with 4 frames.

I know against cassie you can combo 11212 orbit hat into run cancel 44, and that's a 2 frame window.

Should be easier just doing run into jab than timing 44.

Kung laos standing 1 has similar properties as his standing 2 in mk9. It is a special mid, meaning it will connect on crouch block and whiff on neautral crouch. The standing 1 whiffs on some neutral crouch block characters though. For example it whiffs on kitana, making it a high in the matchup, however in MKX you can do a run in standing 1 and it will become a special mid anyway.

Also @STRYKIE can you confirm whether the opponent is still grab immune after orbit hat on block?

STRYKIE

It should be doable with 4 frames.

I know against cassie you can combo 11212 orbit hat into run cancel 44, and that's a 2 frame window.

Should be easier just doing run into jab than timing 44.
You're probably right, I'm not familiar enough to try it though lol.

Also @STRYKIE can you confirm whether the opponent is still grab immune after orbit hat on block?
Yep, but only if you attempt it within the first couple of frames due to the no throws during blockstun mechanic.

MK_Al

Noob
Are you?

Tom said DJT wrote that KL tempest had no losing matchups (which I agree). He then asked if this nerf would change that and I said yes because KL no longer had free pressure.

In another post I said the nerfs to tanya tp invulnerability were justified.

Somehow that translates to "So you're welcoming free pressure...". Then you people wonder why I end up insulting others.

Oh well. A reasonable nerf to KL pressure would have been a nerf on his chip damage. Leave the pressure exactly as it is but reduce the chip damage he does by nearly 40%. That is a reasonable nerf. It would nerf his damage and make it harder for KL mains to just turn off their brains. What you got now is make tempest mains have an entirely different approach to a gameplan they spent weeks on improving. That is not a good nerf. KL lost his pressure. There's no if and buts there. He lost the pressure. He now has to do something else.

Want a good comparison to this nerf?

Imagine if street fighter iv Gen was no longer able to ultra after his super. An entire meta for that character would be scrapped.
Even better, this character had such a strong tool that they nerfed it... by lowering his meter gain. Wierd how that works.

Nerf the chip damage. Nerf his meter build. Don't nerf his pressure. Unfortunately, like some other user said, I had the nerve to mention almighty Paulo. I also suffer from not being a top player or one that goes to tournaments. So despite being right several times (I'm not arrogant enough to say I'm right all the time) I'm usually laughed at or ignored until some top player comes and puts into practice what I said before.

I was the first person on this site to say tempest lao, after his buffs, was top 5. I was the first one to mention that impostor shinnok had a near 50% chip damage set up. I was the first to say a lot of things. Yet I'm ignored or laughed at. Reminds me when I said Vergil was the best character in the game when everyone else was saying he was mid tier at best. This happened just one week into UMVC3 life. Ended up having an argument with fingercramps Jago about that too. Turns out I was right... wierd. Everything I mentioned being a strenght for Vergil that made him great... was actually true.

So continue to listen to hypocrite crybabies who upplay everything while asking for character buffs even going as far as saying "OMG KENSHI IS NOW TOP 5" after the buffs to balanced, expecting a replay of MK9 while ignoring that this game will never be like MK9 due to the run mechanic.
The chip damage and the meter building is universal in this game. The +27 was BS anyway in my opinion, to much brainless pressure.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
It does chAnge one thing. You now cannot take a fraction of a second to see if the opponent will armor out of the gap between string and hat.. Instead you have to commit to pressure

Zephyrus

The chip damage and the meter building is universal in this game. The +27 was BS anyway in my opinion, to much brainless pressure.
I know they are. And it's bad design. I've mentioned it a few pages back.
And while the +27 may have been too strong on some variations (boneshaper), the other two definately needed it to stay viable. They simply aren't now and it's a shame because necro still hasn't been fixed and impostor has the most obvious tactics in this entire game

Zephyrus

God shut up.. Level
Up.. I'm sorry you don't have a brainless move that hit 2/3 screen and has a ridiculous vertical hitbox that launched on hit and allowed a free 50/50 on block.. Stop sounding like such a scrub.
maybe the reptile fanbase should've level up instead of crying all day for buffs.