What's new

Strategy - Master of Souls Unsafe God Ermac

Hello everybody, as many of you know, there is a special place in my heart for Ermac. I was, and am a character loyalist.
I usually don't go into these nerf/buff/debuff discussions, but today, i might as well do exactly that.
I think that with this post, i will say out loud opinions of the majority of Ermac community. You can (and always must) take all this with a grain of salt. But i will repeat myself, that i have hard feeling, that majority of Ermac community feels same way as i do.
At the moment of writing this post, out of 3 character variations, only one is not only tournament-valid, but generally solid as well. Here, don't start chasing me with term tournament-valid just yet. It is just a generalization i want to use to make NRS see how much Master of Souls variation outclasses Mystic and Spectral variations.
Spectral: even before the release of mkx, people started asking questions: "what the hell is up with that variation?" (you can find thread dated to 19 February here)
But we, as we always do, dismissed those claims, and said that "it's too early to judge".
But now, i think every Ermac player acknowledges that picking Spectral variation is pure suicide. And don't start with me that there will probably be discovered match-ups that this variation will be not only viable, but quite good. Because - NO. Spectral in his current state will never be viable.
Mystic: Before last patch, when Mystic's tele-hang got either fixed, either nerfed, i would say that MoS outclassed Mystic to 70% to 30%. Comparing them is not hard at all. MoS had tremendous amount of setups, tremendous amount of meterless damage, godlike but unsafe vortex, and generally quite alright zoning. Mystic on the other hand had quite interesting tool which was telehang, It was basically the only tool that was viable in that variation. Don't even get me started at telepush being like -100 on block...
I will not talk in this post about specific strings and frame data, because there are more competent people here who can do that @zaf @insignis .
All i wanted to do is play Ermac and all his variations on a level, where it wouldn't be considered masochism. I know what it feels like playing low tier character, having spent 4 years with Nightwolf in mk9. And i will not go through that again with 2 thrash variations... which basically leaves me with just 1 viable variation.
I am sorry if my post is pompous, but i will repeat myself for the hundred time, this is the notion that WHOLE ERMAC COMMUNITY SHARES. i just had the time to write it up.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
i am a competitive mk9, ttt2, umk3, mkx player, who has been a loyal tym member since 2012.
So your opinion is more opinion than my opinion. I get it.
Still, a moderator who's also a loyal tym member since fuck knows when, asked us to hold back on that crap.
And his "hold dat" is more "hold dat" than ... you get the picture.

So are the people who posted that thread. What does this have to do with anything? We get like 10-15 buff/nerf threads a day lately from both amateur and competitive crowd.
GOOD, that means game is alive, that means people care. But this doesnt automatically means everything that is being said is legit and true and not just whining. Please, read what i've written, and tell me i am wrong in my judgement.
If i, no, if we, wont say out loud what is most definitely and undoubtedly wrong with some of characters variations, then they might just never get fixed.
i always regretted being silent in mk9, and in the end had to go through 4 years of struggles with Kabalax.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
GOOD, that means game is alive, that means people care. But this doesnt automatically means everything that is being said is legit and true and not just whining. Please, read what i've written, and tell me i am wrong in my judgement.
If i, no, if we, wont say out loud what is most definitely and undoubtedly wrong with some of characters variations, then they might just never get fixed.
i always regretted being silent in mk9, and in the end had to go through 4 years of struggles with Kabalax.
I went ahead and merged your thread with Chameleon's to save it from a closure. You can discuss what Ermac "needs" here. We don't need multiple threads saying he sucks.

No it's not, shut up & don't make useless threads.
what da hell.... give me one real reason why 2 out of 3 variations dont suck. oh wait, you cant. cuz there aren't any.
I went ahead and merged your thread with Chameleon's to save it from a closure. You can discuss what Ermac "needs" here. We don't need multiple threads saying he sucks.
but... but... MoS doesn't suck. just that two goddamn useless variations do... ;(

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
"Mystic and Spectral kind of suck, especially compared to Master of Souls."
"The good parts of Master of Souls are horribly unsafe and not long-term viable."

I think I agree on all counts. I did play some matches against RM Cloud's Mystic Ermac that are giving me second thoughts about that variation, but I'm hesitant to change my mind based on just my own problems against it.

zaf

professor
I like all variations of ermac.
I cant wait for spectral to be fixed so I can use him more.
I dont see a need to ask for buffs/nerfs.
Game is too new, I just want to play it.

I think he is refering to the meter glitch thingy. Removing a glitch is not the same as nerfing something :)
yes but wasnt that fixed ages ago on consoles? or im missing something? im on a pc and we are 1-2 patches behind i think. even our frame data is totally wrong.

CliffP

Noob
It honestly doesn't make sense for Ermac's meter output to cap at 40%, all vortex options that can do damage and mix up are unsafe, no high/low combo starter is safe while other characters have easily confirmable high/low strings into full combo, his only move that would be safe on wake up can literally be walked through or low profiled, none of his special moves actually do any damage and no standing armor moves.

It's just in comparison to the advantages these other guys have it seems unfair for Ermac to have ONE really viable variation. If he got any one of the aforementioned buffs I'd be pretty happy. Like give me Raiden damage if you're gonna make any thing I have to actually open someone up unsafe.

insignis

Noob
Many other characters have unsafe mixups, too.

The main problem is our awful Soul Blast. If the make it mid and do 10-15% damage I'll be happy.

If they make ex TP armored even on foot or give ex soul ball armor - I will be the happiest little Ermac ever!

cuz' it sucks when you look at other characters who are all like "oh, you try pressing? I will armor through and do 30-40% combo!"

Afumba

Noob
Salt thread
Another person that cant distinguish salt/whine from a comment/concern about/on a character. It baffles me everytime anew when ppls like you comment at all - even in salt threads for that matter. Isnt your time doing literally anything else better spend than beeing useless?

It honestly doesn't make sense for Ermac's meter output to cap at 40%, all vortex options that can do damage and mix up are unsafe, no high/low combo starter is safe while other characters have easily confirmable high/low strings into full combo, his only move that would be safe on wake up can literally be walked through or low profiled, none of his special moves actually do any damage and no standing armor moves.

It's just in comparison to the advantages these other guys have it seems unfair for Ermac to have ONE really viable variation. If he got any one of the aforementioned buffs I'd be pretty happy. Like give me Raiden damage if you're gonna make any thing I have to actually open someone up unsafe.
I agree on the cap thing. Doesnt feel right to use meter just for ~ the same damage as without. Or adding several stuff for the same damage. They could solve this better. But i think overall the damage output is not a problem for MoS. It still does great damage.
As insignis said its the armor moves that suck in this version. Burst is flawed, so is Vanish.

Still - before they go to fine tune MoS i´d rather see some help for the other 2 Ermacs first. They need attention way more.