What's new

Question - Spectral What's going on with Spectral Ermac?

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
so im sure im not the only one who feels like this variation is either completely useless or hasnt been shown off fully yet, the questions are why? and whats going on with it?

during the Ermac reveal stream we saw the trailer which had mystic ermac the breakdown of all3 then the matches that were both using mystic, the breakdown of spectral was about 2 and a half minutes and half of it was just them messing around.

what we saw was Ermac's fly ability and the moves he has from it which are all just his jumping moves (normals,teleport,force blast).Pako said he has "a couple of special moves" while in it but only showed one his charge move (below)
and his force blast.

is that really all that this variation has to offer? if so it will be the exact thing they said isnt the case about one variation being useless or not as good. he should at least have his ground pound and a dive kick (has one in his x-ray). being in the air in a game where multiple characters have teleports, divekicks, air/upward projectiles and everyone has an anti air uppercut is not really that good unless you have great tools out of it.

im aware that the game is still being worked on and things are subject to change thats why im asking before release, what is going on? is this variation the furthest from completion? was it just not shownoff properly? or is this just it? if the latter please add more and make this useful it has potential but looks like itsnot being realized.

Batman2000

4/14/15 Baby!!!!!
so im sure im not the only one who feels like this variation is either completely useless or hasnt been shown off fully yet, the questions are why? and whats going on with it?

during the Ermac reveal stream we saw the trailer which had mystic ermac the breakdown of all3 then the matches that were both using mystic, the breakdown of spectral was about 2 and a half minutes and half of it was just them messing around.

what we saw was Ermac's fly ability and the moves he has from it which are all just his jumping moves (normals,teleport,force blast).Pako said he has "a couple of special moves" while in it but only showed one his charge move (below)
and his force blast.

is that really all that this variation has to offer? if so it will be the exact thing they said isnt the case about one variation being useless or not as good. he should at least have his ground pound and a dive kick (has one in his x-ray). being in the air in a game where multiple characters have teleports, divekicks, air/upward projectiles and everyone has an anti air uppercut is not really that good unless you have great tools out of it.

im aware that the game is still being worked on and things are subject to change thats why im asking before release, what is going on? is this variation the furthest from completion? was it just not shownoff properly? or is this just it? if the latter please add more and make this useful it has potential but looks like itsnot being realized.
It seems like it operates similar to Hawkgirl's Trait from Injustice, where he can fly up to the top of the arena. Honestly, it seems like this variation is more about increasing his mobility, and allowing him to move across the arena easier. Like that one special move where he charges in the air, I can see that as a great wake-up and escape to other side.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Not only did they obviously not show everything about it, we know next to nothing about the little they did show us.

There have been hundreds of threads like these about a bunch of different variations and they all have the same answer.

It's pretty obvious this thing will destroy some characters/variations and be destroyed by some characters/variations and have very little middle ground.

Fred Marvel

other characters like lao raiden and kitana had everything shown and seem pretty fleshed out when spectral was shown it just didnt seem that way. so im asking about it im not saying it sucks im asking why there was so much less shown than other characters.

Fred Marvel

I read it.. What do you think about my question tho?
i appreciate you reading and actually giving a thoughtful response and i honestly agree against slow grappler types he would be able to run away but the thing is he doesnt have a fireball so that probably would take some of the sting off but whiff punishing with teleport might be really big? cant really say yet but i definitely see your point

zaf

professor
I feel there is more left to be shown, they just didn't show us everything. I don't see why they would show us everything anyways....
The biggest question is if you can fly cancel, thus giving you +a billion on block like Sindel could.
Even if he will be able to do this, the frames don't matter as they can always be adjusted. If he CAN end up doing that and it ends up being to strong, it will just be nerfed.

Batman2000

4/14/15 Baby!!!!!
other characters like lao raiden and kitana had everything shown and seem pretty fleshed out when spectral was shown it just didnt seem that way. so im asking about it im not saying it sucks im asking why there was so much less shown than other characters.
To be honest, there's a very good chance they didn't show all Spectral Ermac has to offer. During the Kung Lao/Ermac stream, they never showed in Kung Lao's Tempest Variation, how you can move forward and backward during his spin (and that's a pretty big difference in Tempest). So, I wouldn't rule it out that Spectral Ermac has more abilities/options :).

Dear fucking God. Not even played the game, not even seen the full roster, not played the character, let alone grinding out matchups with a character for 100s of games on end, yet you're suggesting a variation seems useless.

Stop. Stop it now.
To be fair, everyone (or a good portion of everyone) has been saying Spectral and Reptile's Deceptive are useless, not just fred. Are they wrong? Probably. Are they wrong for speculating the use of a move before the game comes out? I don't blame them, all we can do is speculate before the game's in our hands. For all we know, Cassie's nut punch could behave differently than Johnny's old nut punch from previous games. Her taunt, The American Way, might have an actual use. We don't know because we don't have the game, therefore we look at what it obviously does and see if it's worth it or not. Right now, Cassie's taunt looks like the most useless move in the game. That doesn't mean it IS the most useless. I could be super wrong come Spring, what if it buffs chip damage or buffs her defense or makes her better in various ways? I don't think there's anything wrong with saying a move LOOKS useless before we get our hands on the character.

Variations like Spectral and Deceptive are the ones I want to mess around with the most, since they are seemingly straight-forward with the gimmick. I want to see how flying Ermac plays out vs certain characters, or if it's even worth exploring. For all the characters I plan to play as, I'm looking forward to experimenting with their variations as much as possible, seeing how Ermac Mystic does vs Kitana, then Ermac MoS, then Ermac Spectral and likewise for Kitana's end.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I can see his dive as a good getting away tactic (Kinda like Kitana's square wave)
Spectral seems to be a lot more fitted for defensive gameplay. If you float all the way to the top left of the screen and your opponent is comepletely on the right side, I don't know of many characters that have projectiles to deal w/ that. Plus combine that with the fact that his teleport seems faster than MK9 and you have a pretty strong punish combo for anyone who tries to zone you out.

I can see some uses against some characters potentially but I think it looks to be a specific variation that deals with specific characters (like wtf is subzero going to do if your floating around...) and can be good for mind games (think the buttslam floating of MK9 but more options i guess).

It would be useless I think (or at least more difficult to use) against the reptile variation where he slows down time. In that case, he can rush you with his dash and time slow down move and you'll be in a sticky situation

REYTHEGREAT

and his force blast.

I am not a fan of this variation either. Judging from the reveal, he is able to fly, levitate or whatever you want to call it which makes him a harder target to hit since he will be floating. The only issue i have, if i am not mistaking, is that when he is in the air he cannot block. So in that way, makes him an easier target for character who can control the air or can grab him . But who knows.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Oh look, this thread again. They obviously didn't show everything about it, and even if they did, a 2 minute glance is not the same as a month of hundreds of people grinding and developing it.

TYM is becoming unbearable.

Fred Marvel

I am not a fan of this variation either. Judging from the reveal, he is able to fly, levitate or whatever you want to call it which makes him a harder target to hit since he will be floating. The only issue i have, if i am not mistaking, is that when he is in the air he cannot block. So in that way, makes him an easier target for character who can control the air or can grab him . But who knows.
They did confirm that while flying he can not block.
Oh look, this thread again. They obviously didn't show everything about it, and even if they did, a 2 minute glance is not the same as a month of hundreds of people grinding and developing it.

TYM is becoming unbearable.
People like you are hilarious getting upset at people for asking questions and trying to understand the game lol

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
To be fair, everyone (or a good portion of everyone) has been saying Spectral and Reptile's Deceptive are useless, not just fred. Are they wrong? Probably. Are they wrong for speculating the use of a move before the game comes out? I don't blame them, all we can do is speculate before the game's in our hands. For all we know, Cassie's nut punch could behave differently than Johnny's old nut punch from previous games. Her taunt, The American Way, might have an actual use. We don't know because we don't have the game, therefore we look at what it obviously does and see if it's worth it or not. Right now, Cassie's taunt looks like the most useless move in the game. That doesn't mean it IS the most useless. I could be super wrong come Spring, what if it buffs chip damage or buffs her defense or makes her better in various ways? I don't think there's anything wrong with saying a move LOOKS useless before we get our hands on the character.

Variations like Spectral and Deceptive are the ones I want to mess around with the most, since they are seemingly straight-forward with the gimmick. I want to see how flying Ermac plays out vs certain characters, or if it's even worth exploring. For all the characters I plan to play as, I'm looking forward to experimenting with their variations as much as possible, seeing how Ermac Mystic does vs Kitana, then Ermac MoS, then Ermac Spectral and likewise for Kitana's end.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I think anyone saying that any variation in the game is "useless" is absolutely ridiculous and would say so for anyone else who created a thread to say it.

I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating about the game, but it has to be done conservatively either wise it ends up just being stupid. For example, someone saying "OMG Kung Lao looks so OP, he needs to be nerfed already" is obviously ridiculous. If, however, they talk about potential ways his tools can be used and why they believe that he'll be able to handle specific situations in each variation, that's a good example of speculative discussion.

And exactly, like you said, we don't know how useful Cassie's taunt special move is, and so until we know more it would be absurd for someone to say that it is useless.

In the OP, he says that there are two options. Either Ermac has more special moves available in Spectral than they showed, or he is "completely useless" in that variation. Now, while I think he almost certainly will have more special moves that they didn't show, even if he didn't, to conclude that that must make him useless in that variation is moronic. We haven't seen half the cast yet. We have no idea how they or even some of the revealed cast variations will deal with Ermac while flying. This could easily be the most effective variation in a number of match ups with even the basics that they showed us, we have no way of knowing. The flying mechanic alone, not even considering the other special moves, could provide Ermac with an extra advantage when it comes to intractable control, which could give him a big advantage.

If this topic had been approached in a different way, I wouldn't have been annoyed, but saying things like:
this variation is either completely useless or hasnt been shown off fully yet, the questions are why?
Is really bloody annoying because:
a) It obviously hasn't been shown off fully because of time constraints per stream and because to realise the potential of any variation in the game will take 1000s of hours of gameplay between a collection of people dedicated to that variation
and
b) Even if it has been shown off "fully", to assume that this makes it "completely useless" is stupid for the reasons I've already explained.