What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Both.

Kano's knife toss controls the pace of the match against most characters. Unlike previous zoning characters like Freddy and Zod, Kano is also very good at mid range. He has Sinestro's b+1, Sub Zero's d+4, and move that can hop over low attacks when timed correctly. Every normal attack is safe on block too and provides very good hit advantage.

A safe armor move is rare in this game, so you cannot hold that against the character. Lack of a 50/50 mix up is an issue when you are down in life.

I know I promised I would behave myself in Mortal Kombat X, but if Kano gets normalized and all these 50/50 mix up characters remain the same, I am throwing a tantrum that will make the "The Great Scorpion Scare" seem like an everyday m2dave complaint.
Lol

i was searching for a counter pick for subzero. he is too good in this game imo.
with jaqui (full auto) he is not a problem anymore lmao, just shoot him to death :D

jaqui is an amazing zoning char!

regulas

Your Emporer
I'm a little disappointed that it appears the best zoner is just the one who has the fastest strait projectile. I love zoning and applying pressure is one thing but there is a certain point (like with deathstroke) where it just comes across more as annoying then anything else.

NHDR

Noob
So, what's the word so far? Is zoning strong? ...Weak? I'm more of an SF player so I can't really judge this game at the moment. All I can say is that the zoning looks more "normalized" than it was in MK9. I know people were freaking out prior to the game's release, I'm curious if that was all justified.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
So, what's the word so far? Is zoning strong? ...Weak? I'm more of an SF player so I can't really judge this game at the moment. All I can say is that the zoning looks more "normalized" than it was in MK9. I know people were freaking out prior to the game's release, I'm curious if that was all justified.
It's weaker than what it was in MK9 by far.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I was intent on going full on zoning in this game but so far I fucking hate using all the zoners.

Character loyalty for me it is. Stuck with Raiden.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Very weak overall.

The game is about the 50/50 mix up and does not actually play too different from Injustice.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Very weak overall.

The game is about the 50/50 mix up and does not actually play too different from Injustice.
Hey Dave after you run into a top Cassie cage let me know how it goes In a txt

Also you should start a weekly thread or bi weekly called "The Zoning Report week 1" and on and on lol

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Doesn't Quan Chi have full screen frame traps in Summoner? That's got to be good zoning, right?
Quan Chi probably has the best zoning in the game. But he is by far the freest character on wake up. I just fought @EMPEROR_THEO 's (what has to be) two or three day Johnny Cage. Every time I was cornered I could not escape. I died very quickly.

Quan Chi's normal attacks are one of the worst I have ever seen in a fighting game, which says a lot because I tend to use zoning characters who have garbage normal attacks.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Quan Chi probably has the best zoning in the game. But he is by far the freest character on wake up. I just fought @EMPEROR_THEO 's (what has to be) two or three day Johnny Cage. Every time I was cornered I could not escape. I died very quickly.

Quan Chi's normal attacks are one of the worst I have ever seen in a fighting game, which says a lot because I tend to use zoning characters who have garbage normal attacks.
I can agree that his normals are, for the most part, shite. His b2 and b1 have good range though. I think, one of the things NRS did to make up for the normals was to make his trait bat heavily + on block. Now i know the in game frame data isn't 100%, but between meter burn rune and nether bat he can leave himself at enough + frames to stay safe and go for a 50/50. The 50/50 loops back into itself. I think that while he is definitely weak defensively, he has really good momentum once he gets started.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I can agree that his normals are, for the most part, shite. His b2 and b1 have good range though. I think, one of the things NRS did to make up for the normals was to make his trait bat heavily + on block. Now i know the in game frame data isn't 100%, but between meter burn rune and nether bat he can leave himself at enough + frames to stay safe and go for a 50/50. The 50/50 loops back into itself. I think that while he is definitely weak defensively, he has really good momentum once he gets started.
Good luck getting the demon out without getting punished. Rush down fools will constantly run at you. Even if the demon is out and you block an incoming attack, you cannot release any attack while in block stun.

Quan Chi cannot manage running opponents, and when he is cornered, he dies. I do not see a bright future for this character whatsoever.

Rude

Good luck getting the demon out without getting punished. Rush down fools will constantly run at you. Even if the demon is out and you block an incoming attack, you cannot release any attack while in block stun.

Quan Chi cannot manage running opponents, and when he is cornered, he dies. I do not see a bright future for this character whatsoever.
I think you might be overstating it a bit. The demon bat has 0 frames of start up and recovers extremely quickly. Nearly instantly, in fact. Is it possible that your perspective is colored through the lense of a bad match up? Cage might be bad for him, but that doesn't mean he's unviable. All you really need to do is link something into EN Rune and you can get started with your 50/50 game. Or, you land an en rune from further away and use the advantage to summon the bat. Its not like you have NO OPTIONS.

Rude

Hell, if they're running at you, you could throw an EN Skull which has a few + frames and use that to summon your bat. Once the bat is out, if they insist on pressuring you it becomes a matter of either tossing the bat out before they get to you or blocking and making a read on when to poke out, then using the bat. Its not like chip damage is super, super ridiculous in this game.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think you might be overstating it a bit. The demon bat has 0 frames of start up and recovers extremely quickly. Nearly instantly, in fact. Is it possible that your perspective is colored through the lense of a bad match up? Cage might be bad for him, but that doesn't mean he's unviable. All you really need to do is link something into EN Rune and you can get started with your 50/50 game. Or, you land an en rune from further away and use the advantage to summon the bat. Its not like you have NO OPTIONS.
Dave is pretty much saying what I said a few pages back. Quan Chi has tools and very strong zoning, but he literally can't get up. While at the same time having no tools to stop half of the casts pressure up close.

When I was looking for my main QC was the first I ruled out because of this. It's so much of a disadvantage when you get knocked down that it just wasn't worth it. This game has way too much pressure for many MU's to not be uphill battles with QC.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Weak. Very weak. As of now the strongest characters appear to be the ones with strong 50/50's. Knockdown, mobility, and the corner are HUGE in MKX. On the surface it appears as though the rushdown characters were given A LOT while the zoners were hit pretty hard.

Shit is is so bad that my competitive side has won out over my deep love for zoning and I have jumped ship (for the moment... I still have hope for DLC zoners in Predator and Tremor) and went to Sonya....

I have already booked and paid for my trip to EVO... at this point (at least early... who knows what patches will do) your best bet is to pick a strong 50/50 character.

NHDR

Noob
Given that I'm so early in the game, should I drop my characters and play someone like Takeda? I've been using Kano and Kenshi, but I don't want this to be like SF4, where every battle was uphill against rush-down characters.

Rude

Dave is pretty much saying what I said a few pages back. Quan Chi has tools and very strong zoning, but he literally can't get up. While at the same time having no tools to stop half of the casts pressure up close.

When I was looking for my main QC was the first I ruled out because of this. It's so much of a disadvantage when you get knocked down that it just wasn't worth it. This game has way too much pressure for many MU's to not be uphill battles with QC.
Maybe so. I just find it weird to write a character off this early.
I guess it's a good thing i started playing Kano. Cybernetic Kano sounds like one of the few viable zoners in the game.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Maybe so. I just find it weird to write a character off this early.
I guess it's a good thing i started playing Kano. Cybernetic Kano sounds like one of the few viable zoners in the game.
No you're definitely right. It's still really early and anything can be found to deal with his weaknesses in the future. But as of now with our current knowledge, it looks pretty bleak.

Kano is a really good solid zoner. He even has his own pressure options and they have to respect EX db1 on wakeup because it had armor and stuns them. He's about as solid a zoner that we'll get in MKX not counting DLC.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
hi my name is blak fellow and I'm a zoner sigh...

Idk how it started.. I threw a knife and before I knew it I was back dashing across the map while throwing knives likes crazy,.

I'm not proud if it and I need help..