What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

regulas

Your Emporer
Also you cannot jump on Kano.. Arguably has the best aa that leads to 29% with b1.. It's ridiculous. And lbsh he will be nerfed
Is it hilarious that the one character who might get Kano'd again is Kano? On the plus side if they do nerf anything it will probably just be the knives.

EDIT: Btw maybe just edit your posts instead of posting three?

cyke_out

Noob
Also you cannot jump on Kano.. Arguably has the best aa that leads to 29% with b1.. It's ridiculous. And lbsh he will be nerfed
wow, I mean, just wow.

Kano is fucking trash. Absolutely no overheads. His knife only does measly 5% on hit! Air laser is worthless. You get the life lead and sit in crouch block and Kano can't do jack shit about it.

Get that nerf shit out of here. If anything, Kano needs all the buffs.

BookBurning

Voidwards
This academy is for people who want to be soulless husks of fighting game players.

This academy is for people who want to have no fun.

@General M2Dave is anti fun. He doesn't believe in it, doesn't condone it and actively makes crusades to destroy it.

This thread / academy is Disgusting.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
wow, every n, just wow.

Kano is fucking trash. Absolutely no overheads. His knife only does measly 5% on hit! Air laser is worthless. You get the life lead and sit in crouch block and Kano can't do jack shit about it.

Get that nerf shit out of here. If anything, Kano needs all the buffs.
Kano isn't trash. He's good. Not every character in every fighting game needs a 50/50 to open people up. His knives in Cybernetic is super good.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Kano isn't trash. He's good. Not every character in every fighting game needs a 50/50 to open people up. His knives in Cybernetic is super good.
Hey, it's just some people believing that stuff being posted on TYM is what drives buffs/nerfs. Nothing to see here really :p

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
No clue why everyone here is this pessimistic about zoning. Lot of strong options: Flamefist Liu Kang, Royal Storm Kitana, Summoner Quan Chi, Cyber Kano, Possessed Kenshi, Full-Auto Jaqui, Spec Ops Cassie. It just feels like its a lot less braindead than in mk9 where you could sit in a corner with Kenshi or throw constant IAFs with Kabal. Hell, you can still do that with Liu Kang, and he gets a full combo off of it from full screen.

I'm just saying that I've fought my share of Erron Blacks, as well as Quan Chi's and to me zoning seems perfectly viable, and I think you guys are writing it off too soon. I will say that 50/50's should never be safe though. That is pretty stupid. -___-"
Also if Quan had a decent wakeup, I could see him being high tier.

Last edited:

cyke_out

Noob
I don't think I've used that air laser once yet. Better of using a normal to anti-air or upball on reaction.

Useless move.
You can connect an air laser after an anti air b1, but really, what's the point? Might has well lead into a combo after b1. Maybe there is some shit there but I can't be assed to figure out how to make air laser useful.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You can connect an air laser after an anti air b1, but really, what's the point? Might has well lead into a combo after b1. Maybe there is some shit there but I can't be assed to figure out how to make air laser useful.
I remember devoting a couple of hours trying to figure out what the benefit of this move could be other than "to look flashy" and I couldn't find a single reason to use it.

I searched to see if it's some glorious combo extender with the run cancel? Nope. Anti-air combo? Just B1. Anti-air reaction? Upball. It's so useless that I hope they remove it and turn it into a ground laser or something useful like how they added a move for Ronin Takeda.

Come one NRS, you can do it. Don't leave us with a complete and utter useless move for years.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
I'd like to join the zoning academy. I've been using Full Auto Jacqui and doing very well her. Not only does her Machine Gun completely lock down a lot of heavy rushdown characters (Kung Jin), but her footsies and 50/50's are amazing.

I finally stopped using Machine Gun at all against my Kung Jin friend, just because I kept getting destroyed once he actually got in, and found Jacqui's spacing game to be on par with Kano and KJ. Her f1 has amazing range and leads to a multitude of setups. Not only is her run speed great, but her f4 actually allows her to run without spending meter, and can be canceled into her low starter, overhead starter, or a neutral long-range mid. Her up-missile can be comboed for over 30% from full-screen. Her low missile can be comboed with Machine Gun to deal 14% and send them full screen. Once I got used to fighting KJ like this, I worked my Machine Gun back into the mix and, well, that was that...

A simple game of zone, zone, zone, then run can be very effective, since she can cancel her run into an overhead or low or 37%+, throw, f12, or cancel early for the low rocket. You also can't jump her machine gun. You have to work your way in, until you can use something like a dive kick. Seriously, her zoning and space control are phenomenal.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'd like to join the zoning academy. I've been using Full Auto Jacqui and doing very well her. Not only does her Machine Gun completely lock down a lot of heavy rushdown characters (Kung Jin), but her footsies and 50/50's are amazing.

I finally stopped using Machine Gun at all against my Kung Jin friend, just because I kept getting destroyed once he actually got in, and found Jacqui's spacing game to be on par with Kano and KJ. Her f1 has amazing range and leads to a multitude of setups. Not only is her run speed great, but her f4 actually allows her to run without spending meter, and can be canceled into her low starter, overhead starter, or a neutral long-range mid. Her up-missile can be comboed for over 30% from full-screen. Her low missile can be comboed with Machine Gun to deal 14% and send them full screen. Once I got used to fighting KJ like this, I worked my Machine Gun back into the mix and, well, that was that...

A simple game of zone, zone, zone, then run can be very effective, since she can cancel her run into an overhead or low or 37%+, throw, f12, or cancel early for the low rocket. You also can't jump her machine gun. You have to work your way in, until you can use something like a dive kick. Seriously, her zoning and space control are phenomenal.
I should write a guide for her I'm interested

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
I should write a guide for her I'm interested
@Eldriken told me you told him to look into her. You really should check her out, she's amazing. Safe meterless midscreen 30% 50/50s, crazy zoning, crazy speed, frame traps, 40% 1-meter midscreen, crazy footsies...she's just a fucking beast.

[Edit] Forgot to mention her 6-frame 1-bar 37% punisher.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Her low missile can be combo'd for a lot more than 14%. :DOGE

You're right though. I was initially down on Jacqui as a zoner but after playing with her I see the tools and setups are there. Combine that with Bf1 and Bf2 whiff punishing and she controls a ton of space. It helps that she doesn't use much meter as well so you can save them for breaks more often than most zoning characters.

kano night be a bit more well rounded but quan is the best full screen zoner, his bat is cheap

He's stronger at that distance than freddy much stronger.

But what am I to say it's day 1, also jacqui I hear is good, also I'm not allowed to say anything I played Martian.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Her low missile can be combo'd for a lot more than 14%. :DOGE.
Yeah, I need to work on that. I've been using max range naked low missiles once my opponent starts trying to poke me out of my run or standing up to avoid the overhead, and at least online I couldn't find anything that connected other than Machine Gun.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@Eldriken told me you told him to look into her. You really should check her out, she's amazing. Safe meterless midscreen 30% 50/50s, crazy zoning, crazy speed, frame traps, 40% 1-meter midscreen, crazy footsies...she's just a fucking beast.

[Edit] Forgot to mention her 6-frame 1-bar 37% punisher.
Yes she high in my radar

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yeah, I need to work on that. I've been using max range naked low missiles once my opponent starts trying to poke me out of my run or standing up to avoid the overhead, and at least online I couldn't find anything that connected other than Machine Gun.
I'll double check but I think you can run cancel into a combo after. Or something. I just got back on Jacqui but haven't ran that through practice yet as much as some of her other things. I remember doing something but I don't remember exactly what, but I'll check tonight and post it in the Jacqui thread.

After shuffling through quite a few characters, Kano as my main and Jacqui interning as my co-main are about the only two characters I've really felt comfortable with so far.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
No clue why everyone here is this pessimistic about zoning. Lot of strong options: Flamefist Liu Kang, Royal Storm Kitana, Summoner Quan Chi, Cyber Kano, Possessed Kenshi, Full-Auto Jaqui, Spec Ops Cassie. It just feels like its a lot less braindead than in mk9 where you could sit in a corner with Kenshi or throw constant IAFs with Kabal. Hell, you can still do that with Liu Kang, and he gets a full combo off of it from full screen.

I'm just saying that I've fought my share of Erron Blacks, as well as Quan Chi's and to me zoning seems perfectly viable, and I think you guys are writing it off too soon. I will say that 50/50's should never be safe though. That is pretty stupid. -___-"
Also if Quan had a decent wakeup, I could see him being high tier.
damn that kang iafb to run is nonsense :/

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
damn that kang iafb to run is nonsense :/
Even if (when?) it gets patched, Liu Kang is still a monster at zoning due to the sheer rate he can throw fireballs. Not to mention that in Flamefist he can buff the damage from 7% to 10% with Shaolin fire and he has a parry to stop a lot of 50/50's from getting started. Then Dualist has the orbs, and Dragonfire has a quicker air fireball. Also glad to see someone finally talk about Jacqui. Need more people unlocking these characters' potential than just whining that zoning isn't as free as it used to be.
T____T"