What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat X Edition)

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
@General M2Dave I had an idea I would like to share with you. Kitana's EX fan lift move travels full screen in her Royal Storm variation so if the player were to do that special as a combo ender, it would send them full screen to continue to be zoned out. Also, (I don't know if this works because I don't have the game yet but) she might be able to land a full screen fan toss as well for more damage while still keeping the opponent full screen.

Do you think this could be a viable strategy?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@General M2Dave I had an idea I would like to share with you. Kitana's EX fan lift move travels full screen in her Royal Storm variation so if the player were to do that special as a combo ender, it would send them full screen to continue to be zoned out. Also, (I don't know if this works because I don't have the game yet but) she might be able to land a full screen fan toss as well for more damage while still keeping the opponent full screen.

Do you think this could be a viable strategy?
You will have to ask @GGA 16 Bit.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
@Phosferrax

1) When you choose to reply as a smart ass rather than simply asking in a discussion forum, at least try to make sure you quote and respond to a post correctly so you don't look like an idiot.

2) Hit the lab and find out.
I don't know why you felt I was being a smart ass, but I think there has been some confusion.

'Geezer' is a word for a friend in the UK, so I was actually asking you nicely :p

Hit me with your knowledge, chum. (please)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't know why you felt I was being a smart ass, but I think there has been some confusion.

'Geezer' is a word for a friend in the UK, so I was actually asking you nicely :p

Hit me with your knowledge, chum. (please)
"Geezer" means "friend" in the UK?!? Lmao! Learn something new everyday. My bad.

Yea Quan Chi's zoning actually looks great, but his wake ups are so, so damn free. Let me explain.

When you end a combo against Quan Chi pressure his wakeup with your safest quick poke. Like 3/4's of the cast has a poke that comes out faster than 10 frames and/or is plus or neutral on block. Since Quan Chi's fastest poke is 10 frames, anything faster will beat him out, giving you advantage for more pressure.

Same thing again but instead of poking, since it failed, this time Quan Chi tries to armor through with Sky Drop. Well when you poke him during Armored Sky Drop he absorbs the hit of armor but you also have enough time to block on his way down since it comes down as a regular overhead attack. So after you block it, you can punish with the combo of your choosing.

Since he was blown up twice the 3rd time he simply blocks. Well since you were smart enough to poke with a move that leaves you at 0 or +, now after he blocks he's forced to defend. Blocking may be safe against some characters, but a death sentence strategy against the 50/50 characters. Imagine against Jacqui, Erron, etc on wakeup.

In the corner, let's not even talk about the corner.

The backdash is the only thing that he may be able to do sometimes, but I haven't fully tested if/how he can be blown up for it yet.

This is why I feel they should have at least given him a new move to help his wake up like they gave some other characters new moves. Just a simple good, neutral or plus poke negates every single option he has on wakeup and puts his back against the wall.

iamylem

Noob
Mr. Dave, can I call you that? I would also like to enroll in your zoning academy. I'll be using lasher takeda look forward to your mentoring

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Super early zoning character impressions.

1. Quan Chi (Summoner).
2. Kano (Cybernetic)
3. Liu Kang (Dragon's Fire)

I have yet to experiment with Kenshi (Balanced), Kitana (Mournful), and Jacqui (Full Auto).

The biggest disappointment so far has been Shinnok, who generally appears to be a very unsafe character.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Okay...

Kano's knife toss in Cybernetic...

LMAO.

My zoning brothers and sisters, enjoy before it most certainly gets normalized.
Well my friends, M2Dave was right. I hope everyone enjoyed the utter dominance that was prepatch Cybernetic knives, as patch 1.02 clearly had an issue with them.

Right before my local too. Great.

NHDR

Noob
WTF, nerfing zoning already? Its funny but I saw some idiots on Twitter crying to Boon about projectiles (again). I swear, some stupid fucks should just stick to Tekken and DOA.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What'd they do to Cyber's knives?
Slower startup at 11 frames now, -11 on block, lower hit adv.

EX version still has 8 frame start up, but it's listed as +5 now.

Cutthroat knives have 15f start up now.

Not saying those are "bad" properties, just why start nerfing dudes knives when his whole variation is built around them?!?

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I been toying with Gunslinger the past two days with decent results. If you master canceling in stance it is almost seamless into the low 6 shooters and the double hitting mid shot. There's also the double aerial shot for anti airs. Mixing sand grenade roll and tossing caltrops to prevent any run attempt helps the flavor. Coin toss recovers well enough. I need to test the aerial shots on mileenas tele kick. He seems ok right now. Not sure if it will develop into anything substantial. Low shots are great for blowing up armored wakeups at sweep range. Plus a bunch of his strings end in shots that reach full screen which is really a novelty at best.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Slower startup at 11 frames now, -11 on block, lower hit adv.

EX version still has 8 frame start up, but it's listed as +5 now.

Cutthroat knives have 15f start up now.

Not saying those are "bad" properties, just why start nerfing dudes knives when his whole variation is built around them?!?
I am pretty sure those were always the frames on the knives? At least in my version? What were they for you previously?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I am pretty sure those were always the frames on the knives? At least in my version? What were they for you previously?
Nevermind the startup Cyber, but they were -10 on block and the hit adv was higher. EX knives were +6 on block, now they're saying +5, but after testing they don't seem even that. Do a Kano 10f knee into Reptile's 7f dash after a blocked EX Knife. It blew it up easy before. Not so much now...