What's new

The Run Button

aj1701

Noob
MK10 needs it.

Discuss.
No thank you! Perfectly happy with dashing! :)

How would you envision this working? The run button brought the run meter, so that you couldn't run all the time. It also impacted your combo ability as well, correct?

I've always thought it was to help stop turtling which could be hard to get past in MK2 (especially with how throws worked). But there are other options now in MK9 to deal with turtles; you can be JIP when duck blocking, throw having its own button makes it much more viable.

What would running add?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
No thank you! Perfectly happy with dashing! :)

How would you envision this working? The run button brought the run meter, so that you couldn't run all the time. It also impacted your combo ability as well, correct?

I've always thought it was to help stop turtling which could be hard to get past in MK2 (especially with how throws worked). But there are other options now in MK9 to deal with turtles; you can be JIP when duck blocking, throw having its own button makes it much more viable.

What would running add?
QFT!

Fuck the run button, I agree totally. Dash is good enough, run buttons catters too much to the aggressive player. I don't like that. MK9 is about both players, not just offensive player.

I did like the run in UMK3 and MK4 to get closer faster, but if you're facing someone who is great with kara jabs, glitch jabbing all that then there really is no point for the defensive player to keep playing.

The Dash was done perfectly in MK9, and you can easily cancel into block like you could run jabs in UMK3.

Keep the dash, NO run please NRS! They have to consider everyone ALL MK enthusiasts, not just UMK3 enthusiasts.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
No thank you.

My vote is to make robot smoke a tribute to MK3, he pretty much is the face of that game, and hes pretty much a blank slate at this point.

Give him a command run instead of dashes, along with the sprint meter.
Have MK3 style dial a combos, 8 hits and all that jazz.
His MK3 moves.
His MK3 outfit, no new fancy upgraded one either, just palate swap of the cyrax/sektor/CSZ one.
MK3 insane robot gibberish.
Planet exploding fatality, don't even update, when it cuts away to show the earth, just straight up use the art from MK3.
High punch, Low punch, High kick, Low kick.
Allow the ability to switch from human to robot and vice versa between matches.

Probably some other stuff I forgot.

No thank you.

My vote is to make robot smoke a tribute to MK3, he pretty much is the face of that game, and hes pretty much a blank slate at this point.

His MK3 moves.
His MK3 outfit, no new fancy upgraded one either, just palate swap of the cyrax/sektor/CSZ one.
Planet exploding fatality, don't even update, when it cuts away to show the earth, just straight up use the art from MK3.

Aside from the running, imokwiththis.jpg

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You'd have to basically take MK9 and pretend it never happened for run to actually work. Pretty much just go back to the older MKs, which is good for those that want it.

UMK3 was fun but it was also repetitive as hell. Run jab, run jab, run jab, fake run, run roundhouse, sweep, run jab..

I'm happy to leave all that behind. UMK3 will always live, but MK10 shouldn't play like UMK3.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I mean, you can have run be there and have it work, but the game has to be special tailored to it. Tbh, they shouldn't worry about using a whole new gameplay engine to please the fans of said games with run.

The run button, and the dial a combo system for that matter, was a step backwards for the series IMO. MK II's speed (or lack thereof) and pacing felt more satisfying to me. I appreciate MK3 for what it is, but feel as though they tried to do too much and lost something in the translation.

Thankfully MK9 seems to draw the most from MKII in terms of gameplay, and in short is the very epitome of what Mortal Kombat should be. I'm certainly open to new ideas, but sometimes throwing too much into the mix can counteract what made it so great in the first place.

SGX

Noob
I'm only ok with a run button if they bring back the same yells and grunts the characters made in MK3.

Seriously though, I like the idea of running if you hold F during a dash (ala KOF and Guilty Gear)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Honestly, if they want Run back(the fans who do I mean) I'd ask NRS to redo, revamp MK4....that has the run in it lol.

But for MK10 beyond, dash please :)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
No thank you.

His MK3 moves.

No to Run, YES to this.

I think it'd be cool if the same button hold used to activate Human Smoke could be used to turn on Robo-Smoke.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
To be honest i think running is best in 8wr 3d games like tekken and soul calibur. mk in its current stage would be to stupid with running as a mechanic

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I'm only ok with a run button if they bring back the same yells and grunts the characters made in MK3.

Seriously though, I like the idea of running if you hold F during a dash (ala KOF and Guilty Gear)
This ... I like this. Might be interesting if you could do something like a Faultless Defense Run Cancel (i.e. not being able to block-cancel a run unless you have meter). Could allow for a offensive variation of dash-blocking.

McNasty

Moist.
assuming they keep the same engine run would be stupid and the top tier would be the characters with the fastest normal strings. The only reason it works in umk3 is standard moves across the board.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
No thank you.

His MK3 moves.

I like this idea. The insane robot gibberish really sold me on it. Consider it done lol