What's new

The Run Button

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
when playing in arcades in the 90's i can distinctly remeber the mk2 crowd and how they were essentially the whole crowd of mk1 players that had just carried over... then mk3 came out and it was like half the players dissapeared or were replaced because that damn run button changed the whole dynamic of the game, some people just could not get used to it... that said i would NOT like to see the run button introduced, I think something more interesting could be done with the sixth button... taunt's, weapon moves, whatever...
I am a big umk3 fan though... I was playing at an arcade last night...

lol @ " in UMK3 all characters had the exact same pokes, AA tools, sweep and roundhouse"
You know what I meant.

They weren't completely identical but they were essentially the same tools. Every character could run jab, run cancel, run roundhouse, fake block, sweep to kill runs or fake blocks, AA roundhouse and uppercut. It was uniformity in design and the whole gameplay was built around that.

MK9 isn't like that. If you give the ability to run and run cancel to every character then it's going to fucking break the game because characters with the fastest and longest poke range are going to benefit from it more than others. Not to mention characters with both a low and overhead combo starters etc.

You would need to completely redesign all characters and give them the same pressure/defensive tools. You can't have 1 character with a 6 frame jab that launches and then an other one with a 12 frame jab that doesn't fucking do anything. Or one character with a sweep that goes under everything and 10 characters with a fucking slow and useless sweep that's not even fast enough to stop pressure. Or one character with a 20 frame overhead and half of the cast with no overheads at all. That doesn't work. But that's basically what some of you UMK3 players want (MK9 with the old run button mechanic).

edit: lol I just imagined what Kitana with a Run button would look like.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I dont want MK9 with a run button. I want MK10 to have it lol. Too late for MK9 as its more SF4 than MK. But how many MK's had the same exact engine from 1 game to the next? ;)

T3rror

Noob
Thought about more for a few and I wouldn't mind a run instead of a dash, but can someone explain to me the advantage of having a button for it?

A-Train

Noob
I would prefer to not have a run button. I'm happy with how dashing works in MK9 and don't see any reason or need to change it.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Reptile would like a run button. He'd be top tier again.

They see me runnin', and dashin', I ain't got no more dead zone, cause they went UMK3 up in here... UMK3 up in here...

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Hmmm..running would certainly spice things up. I feel it would mostly (notice I said mostly, not completely) favor rushdown characters for OBVIOUS reasons. I think it'd be best saved for a different iteration of the game, because my mind keeps imagining it in mk9. Run/ dashing reptile? lol Run/nomad dashing kabal? lol