What's new

The Run Button

assuming they keep the same engine run would be stupid and the top tier would be the characters with the fastest normal strings. The only reason it works in umk3 is standard moves across the board.
This right there.

Characters with slow pokes and poor footsies would get eaten alive by run cancels and run pokes shenanigans. You would have to give every character the exact same pressure and defensive tools for it not to break the game.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'd be down for KOF or Tekken style runs. UMK3 run is retarded though.
Not really, UMK3 run and MK4 it worked for that engine(even though it still catters to the offensive player)

But for MK now in 2011 and beyond? Dash is fine, fuck the run button...

The only reason some people want the run back is because they're afraid or don't want to face good turtlers lol. Turtling is apart of fighting games, period.

MKK hanzo

Jabs + Run Button are a NEED or a MUST in the MK world. Play older Mk games boys and you will get it. ;) Dash is for SF-Tekken-etc.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
IDK Tim, let all these MK9 lovers have their dash and let all us UMK3 lovers have our run button. Is for the best, no MK game will ever replace UMK3 and that's perfect. It's awesome :D

We will always have UMK3 with faster paced action and real pressure, not random jumps/cross ups LOL

Let MK10 be what it should be, a continuation of MK9. No need to bring the run button just for us IMO :)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Run from UMK3 and backdash from MK9 (except more ground covered) = perfect movement system for MK IMO.

I could see it working.

I still don´t get it why peoples when hear or read: Run Button the first and only thing it came to their mind it´s: "No thanks, No run Meter It´s Better, I Love Dashing"... dashing is just tooo "normal" in games, but too much sometimes, there are games who it´s perfect with run than without (MK3, MK4, UMK3, MKT)... im not talking about Runing as hell or just use Kara Jab.. im talking about Combo Rules like you need run in order to perform high level combos, your run meter it´s fucked when you hit in the air (aahp) and things like this it get better the game (not the best in the world) but give some landing to the game (please Hanzo, give me the exactly word to "equilibrio"), there are combos that you can´t complete thanks to the Run Meter, i know that all of you just cry because of the Kara Jab.. "Buahh Buahh see? that guy just win with kara Jabs buah buah" and never think in fuck him and turn the game to his favor... MK9 with thos shitty dashes and thos errors with soem commands and the FUCKING RESET OF SOME CHARS it´s makes the game just stupid, take a look at Kitana... she could do a "Marvel Vs Capcom" combo... by doing just fan, and fan, and fan (and not a Enrique Iglesias fan xD) run? what?.. what? RUN? no way.. i preffer to do dashes to there, dashes here, wait for a patch and see how it change the reset of Cyrax or see how Kitana can do a 60% combo almost from corner to corner... im a wrong?

Sorry about my engl... but everybody know im a puto gringo xDDD

And please no offense with what im saying there are good friends here like MK30 who it´s against the run button ^^ i still love ya man :)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I honestly wonder how MK9 would've worked if:

1. Run instead of forward dash
2. Better backdash
3. Run meter in juggles only reduces some with every hit or as you use run
4. All run speeds varied

The way run works, there's total control over when you stop. No pressing block to immediately stop, just let go of forward. That's something you totally miss with MK9 dash...stopping on a dime. It's one of the few things I strongly dislike about MK9.

The more I think about it, if run was in MK9 and pretty much worked like forward dash in terms of move cancelling properties, as well as the ideas above, the game would possibly play better in some aspects (ie crossup JP would likely not work all that well anymore, it would potentially allow some projectiles such as Skarlet's to entirely remain the same and still be good but much less silly, and it would likely just play much more fun).

Here's to hoping MK10 has run back. I honestly want it now. Damn this topic for getting bumped...now I want a petition for Run in MK10.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
MK9 + Run Button = More fun. Since the dash nerf, dashing isn't nearly as effective as running would be. A run button would add depth too.

ded

Elder God
The run button is actually an evolved form of the dash. It is a fact, that applies not only for fighting games, but for beat em ups, 3d shooters and etc. Run just dont work in 3d fighting game imo.

I think, the natural progress should be like:

1. Dash
2. Run
3. Run and Backdash

The reason we will not see it in the future versus mk games, is probably because it will need too much time to make a decent fighting game with run (balance, engine, animation and etc...)

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
How about they just allow you to bind dash to a button.

I really can't see myself playing MK where the run button is a must to be competitive. This is the first Mortal Kombat game I've enjoyed competitively, I hope they don't make past mistakes.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
How about they just allow you to bind dash to a button.

I really can't see myself playing MK where the run button is a must to be competitive. This is the first Mortal Kombat game I've enjoyed competitively, I hope they don't make past mistakes.
I think most people are talking about the UMK3 run, not the abomination of the 3D MK run.

Flagg

Noob
The thing is, dash seems to suck now that they have nerfed it.

UGH! I'm really trying hard to get out the habit of dashing to cover space and walking back or forward.

But I do think the Run Button was a bit OTT in MK3 and UMK3.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I think most people are talking about the UMK3 run, not the abomination of the 3D MK run.
My understanding of the run button is that it was used to chain jabs together in succession.

run -> fp, run -> fp, run -> fp

I feel as this mechanic promotes a mentality where players stop thinking and fall into a pattern where they just do things because it is good.

My understanding of UMK3 is very limited though, perhaps someone could tell me something that would change my opinion.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My understanding of the run button is that it was used to chain jabs together in succession.

I feel as this mechanic promotes a mentality where players stop thinking and fall into a pattern where they just do things because it is good.

My understanding of UMK3 is very limited though, perhaps someone could tell me something that would change my opinion.
It is used for that, they're called run jabs and it's "LP" not "FP". But that's not only what the run button is used for. The entire gameplay really involves the run button.

Also, UMK3 is game that heavily depends on using your brain. Mindgames are what define you as a good player in UMK3. Being a skilled player is a must, but not having good mindgames in UMK3 will lead to you losing at high levels. In fact, UMK3 relies more on mindgames and thinking than any fighter I've played. And a lot of that is because of how fast paced it is, and because of the run jabs.

MKK hanzo

Good night Mr [MENTION=4009]Sao87[/MENTION], I hope some of these answer your questions (all of them self/home made), Enjoy:

(casuals)

([MENTION=2]Tim Static[/MENTION] loves this particular vid)

(tourney)

(Same final but with the crowd take to wiev the "hype")

International

(Venezuela vs Colombia)

(Chile)

Hmm.. Mk9 is my first fighting game that I really got into. What I love about it is that it's really easy for a beginner to pick up, and deep enough for pro to be on another level. The run button may work out for MK10, but I think a easier solution and a safer one so that the game doesn't get broken is just to bring back the dash to the way it was.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
A run button would make it so much fun and faster paced. Fast pacyness make both casuals and competitive players have more fun when playing the game.
Like, seriously, download MKAK and play UMK3 for a couple hours with a friend, any matches, mirror matches, w/e. Now put the mk9 disc and have a Noob Saibot mirror match or something alike, yup, nothing like umk3. Sure, MK9 has more than that, but I believe that is the reason why characters like Kabal are so much fun to play as.

It'd add in-depth, too. MK is supposed to be brutal, and I don't think that so much turtling has a place in this game. You can have a fast-paced fighting game and still have a lot of setups, mindgames, etc.

RoGE

Noob
Don't get me wrong, I love UMK3 (still the best MK imo) but giving every single character (which should be a lot in the next MK game) the ability to run would require a TON of testing. This is a fighting game we are talking about, there is such a massive toolbox of options that even the smallest changes could make the biggest differences. There's bound to be some glitches and exploits if they just put it in the current system.

I think the solution for this would be to give only certain characters, (preferably rush down type of characters) the run ability and see how that works for them, or just remake MKT.

Altaire

Noob
IDK Tim, let all these MK9 lovers have their dash and let all us UMK3 lovers have our run button. Is for the best, no MK game will ever replace UMK3 and that's perfect. It's awesome :D

We will always have UMK3 with faster paced action and real pressure, not random jumps/cross ups LOL

Let MK10 be what it should be, a continuation of MK9. No need to bring the run button just for us IMO :)
If you think MK9 is all about random jumps and crossups, you aren't good enough at the game to judge. Period.

Talk UMK3 all you want, that's your game. Don't talk MK9 if it isn't. Considering you think random jumps and crossups still cut it (CD Jr wants a word with you) and you implied that the game doesn't have real pressure, I'm going to assume that's the case.

Justice

Noob
I lived through that :bs: once. I am NOT doing it again. It was funky and kool the first time around simply because noone else had thought of it. It was also one of the few game mechanics that was never ripped by another company. Any guesses why?

Once I got used to the dash changes, it actually made more sense. Now there actually is a reason to add walking to your footsies. Besides, with the Run button matches just came down to whoever got their run kombo off first. Yay. Fun. Wow....... :jerkoff: