What's new

The REAL Johnny Cage Match Up Chart

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
The Devestation era of dominant zoning is over. We're moving into the age of rush down, and guess who's king of rush down?

REO

Undead
Kano isn't 8-2? Why, because of his awesome zoning and gdlk footsies that rival Scorpion's? Jade players, I'm sorry but you're gonna need more than u+3, d,f+2, and enhanced glow parlor tricks to make it 6-4 to compete with characters like Ermac, Liu, etc. that handle Cage. Same with the Stryker players that think gun cancels, standing 4, and roll toss is enough to keep Cage at a numeric ratio as Cyrax, Smoke, and etc. do. And Baraka players who think Cage can't just maul their big hitbox character because of a d+4 that isn't as good as Mileena (who Cage eats for breakfast) need to stop overrating their character in this match up already.

Here, let me bring in some more "pros" and get their opinion on some of these match ups. Shit, players like CD jr and Pig Of The Hut will not agree with my numbers and probably say Jax loses worse and Kenshi vs Cage at the highest level may be close to even.

KT Smith
m2dave
Death
CURBOLICOUS
Scoot Magee
Claude VonStroke
Slips

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
this. but on that note where does that put Ermac in the tier lists in your opinion?
I dunno, I dont really bother making lists.

I'd rather just learn matchups than theorise about who is #1 etc. Thats the reason why I think Cage has only 1 bad matchup atm, and even then I'll probably find a way around it considering I dont lose it often as it is.
Same applies to alot of other characters in the game. But their players are too concerned about finding a reason for their loss, rather than finding a way to win.

Albo

Noob
they cannot be serious or they must be taking some drugs that i need to know the name of! but still although its funny what allows them to do it and we cant. any of us 'commonfolk' would have a thread like this sent to the netherrealm for quan chi to use as toilet paper...
This metaphor made my day.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
You're probably right. Reptile's dash and forceballs can only get him so far.
Thats assuming the Reptile is so bad that all they do is dash and forceball, you've got to think about playing somebody of equal skill to the Cage player.

F3 rapes Reptile.What makes the match even?
Reptile does ok at keeping cage at bay. Dash can get him out of some tricky situations as well. Not to mention the ex projectile frame trap doesn't work on him. Also reptile has good footsies. I'm inclined to think it is in reptiles favor.

Also imagine reptile as player one haha, advantage with dash anyone?
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Reptile does ok at keeping cage at bay. Dash can get him out of some tricky situations as well. Not to mention the ex projectile frame trap doesn't work on him. Also reptile has good footsies. I'm inclined to think it is in reptiles favor.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
What? Slow assballs and Spit with Noob Saibot recovery? And there's a way to frame trap him with EN forceball which is 13 x EN forceball.

REO

Undead
Thats assuming the Reptile is so bad that all they do is dash and forceball, you've got to think about playing somebody of equal skill to the Cage player.

Best Reptile player in the USA once said "Cage is fucking broken and dumb", and then much more horrible things were repeated at EVO and other majors. Maybe you should teach him a thing or two about the character.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
An honest question, why is the match-up against Cage so bad for Jax? I'm not a Jax player, but I do know that he has armor moves, some very solid zoning/space control with the ground pound that leads to combos, and he has a pretty small hitbox.

What is it about Cage that would cause the match up to so heavily favor him?

REO

Undead
An honest question, why is the match-up against Cage so bad for Jax? I'm not a Jax player, but I do know that he has armor moves, some very solid zoning/space control with the ground pound that leads to combos, and he has a pretty small hitbox.

What is it about Cage that would cause the match up to so heavily favor him?
Best Jax player in USA once said "Cage beats Jax 8-2".

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Best Reptile player in the USA once said "Cage is fucking broken and dumb", and then much more horrible things were repeated at EVO and other majors. Maybe you should teach him a thing or two about the character.
Its hard for me to teach people things when I'm frame trapping the shit out of them.

If CD Jr honestly thinks Cage Jax is 8-2, Kabal Cage is 11-0
Be brutally honest, how many good Reptile players are there out there?

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Matchup charts for any fighting game (especially if they're based on opinion, rather than actual data) are not to be taken too seriously imho. Lists like these never take into account the player's matchup knowledge. If a Kabal player has no Cage experience, and the Cage player has plenty of Kabal experience, then odds are in the Cage's favor despite it being a 6-4. Same can be said for any 7-3, 8-2, whatever. I can't tell you how many Cage's I've beaten because they don't know the Baraka matchup. A list like this only matters if the two players fight each other often, where both have extensive knowledge of the opposing character.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

REO

Undead
Its hard for me to teach people things when I'm frame trapping the shit out of them
Bro, the jigg is up. I exposed how broken Kabal is in the match up chart. Now it's time Sonya, Cage, and etc. players do the same about their character.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
No, no, I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just wondering what it is about the match up that makes it so terrible.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Bro, the jigg is up. I exposed how broken Kabal is in the match up chart. Now it's time Sonya, Cage, and etc. players do the same.
I'm hardly saying he doesnt win, I'm the 1 saying he has 1 bad matchup, its just that your numbers are off. And even then its still hard to know if your numbers, or mine, are actually accurate, because as it stands there are still VERY few players that are actually masters of their respective characters.