What's new

The REAL Johnny Cage Match Up Chart

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I know your the face of Nightwolf, but you never know ;)

Other things factor into the matchups. Thats why I hate matchup charts. Just because on paper Scorpion looks like a scrub character compared to Cage, doesn't mean its the case in a real match. If you put up Slips vs Curbo, it isnt going to be onesided 2-8. Sure Curbo has the advantage of a better character, but its not gamebreaking 2-8 type of shit.
I really don't know what scorpion has to make that match better. Scorpion does not want cage to get close to him, he can d1 but that leads to nothing, ex spear whiffs randomly against f3, ex take down whiffs against f3, you cant jump in and you cant control the ground. He cant keep cage out at all and it's sad.

Scorpion has d+4 and d+4 xx take down which is -4. Your only options after take down are to use armor (spear beats any standing attack or d3) or try to keep pressure if they learn to respect the armor but jumping beats all those options.

Scorpion has great AA's but cage has no reason to jump at him, hellfire will only do so much before cage is in your face. Scorpion isn't a threat on the ground, he doesn't even have a move outside of spear and maybe d4 that can be used as a whiff punisher. I'm sorry but f4 at 17 frames and b2 at 18 frames are not whiff punishers. You have to guess when you throw those out, you're not punishing d4's and shit on whiff with those moves unless you guessed they would throw it out outside of range. If you miss you get punished badly.

Since cage is in your face most of the time he builds a ton of meter, if you manage to land a spear he's probably got meter to break. If you manage to somehow land another spear then you have to guess right to keep him in the vortex. If you use scorpions safe options then your vortex ends and cage is free to get in your face again pretty much whenever he wants.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
you can say the same thing for character exclusives like Kratos. Its part of the game, banning him in tournies is stupid!
Kratos isn't part of the 360 version of the game, so that's unfair to people who own the 360 version of the game. Banning him is obvious and nobody is disputing that, so I don't know what that has to do with anything.

This game is not garbage, just requires some minor rules to make it as balanced as can possibly be at this point in the games life. Whats simple is your being narrow minded and saying if something requires restricting, then its stupid. Its not.
I never said a game is stupid if restrictions need to be placed on it. I also never said MK9 was garbage, I said any game that requires banning all resets at tournaments is garbage. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Oh and this game isnt seriously effected by the resets for your information.
Then what are we arguing about? You're the one who said this:

What I dont understand is why tournaments dont just outright ban resets in general. It would be more fair that way.
Like I said, banning the resets is a stupid idea. It's clear that we agree now, so I'll kindly leave it at that.

ZtrideRz

Noob
I have said for ages cage is bullshit he destroys my main kung lao.. I asked usedforglue sometime ago for advice because a guy who I know I am better than called matteo just seemed to always be able to destroy me when he got in he is a good player with cage only... Now I ask myself if someone like him can be that good with cage.. wtf would it be like fighting foxy or dizzy.. anyone who says he is not the best in the game is scared of a nerf or just biased. He is a joke even his zoning tools ain't to bad they are average but that's all he needs. Raiden is not the best char in the game by a long shot. Kabal is better than raiden the list is so bullshit. Sub zero at the bottom nearly wtf? Sub zero is a great char. Some matchups suck for him but he can still roll with the best honestly guys scrap the chat make a new one. Kung lao ain't top 5 either top 10 yes.. 7th or 8th tbh.

Wow, the Sektor fever really didn't last. Cage is flavor of the month now. Who's next?

Anyway, I've seen lots of people here in TYM saying that there aren't 8-2s in this game. If we're using them now, I think the game needs a new MU chart. Because there's no way Cage vs Scorpion is an 8-2 and Kenshi vs Jade isn't.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
If there is another hotfix, I had rather NRS buff other characters than nerf Cage to the ground. I don't want to play another Super Nerf Fighter 4. The reason Baraka, Jade, Kano, and Sheeva lose 7:3 (or worse) is because these characters suck. They don't suck because of Cage. They suck because they lack tools.
This. Please buff Baraka and all the other low tier characters so they can become "TOP 5" after winning one tournament. Then they will be the new flavor of the month, have tons of 8-2s and 7-3s and everyone will be on their bandwagon.

Im exaggerating here but still, I dont give a shit if I play a good Kabal player, my Baraka will not be an easy ride. You still have to play at the top of your game and minimize your mistakes to win. Same with any of the bottom tiers, if you dont know your shit then you can lose, and quite frankly 90% of this community does not know shit about any of these "bottom tier" characters. People think Baraka only has blade charge and D4, Kano only has knives and balls, etc. Then you have these incessant overratings of characters that are the new flavor of the month. One month ago it was Jax, then Sonya, then Sektor, now Johnny. And here you guys are seriously trying to tell us that he is bullshit and there is no way Johnny isnt the best in the game. Have you guys not learned that this game changes every new major? Some new tech comes out and suddenly a character goes from bottom tier to top tier. I am calling it now, in LESS THAN A MONTH Johnny will be old news and some new great character will be the flavor of the month.

I see why Hitoshura has been so mad lately. People are still against .5s(I mean what the hell) and every month it is the same shit different character. I love this community but frankly it is ridiculous a lot of the time.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Then you have these incessant overratings of characters that are the new flavor of the month. One month ago it was Jax, then Sonya, then Sektor, now Johnny.
How are those characters "overrated" and "flavor of the month" when each (with the possible exception of Sektor) is top 10?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
How are those characters "overrated" and "flavor of the month" when each (with the possible exception of Sektor) is top 10?
Because everyone was saying they were top 3 or the best, when they are now not. I am not saying Cage is trash, he is top 5 for sure. But best in the game, with 8-2 matchups? I highly doubt that is going to stick.

Because everyone was saying they were top 3 or the best, when they are now not. I am not saying Cage is trash, he is top 5 for sure. But best in the game, with 8-2 matchups? I highly doubt that is going to stick.
It's just until people stop being lazy and learn the MU. The same happened with Mileena and Kabal.

Maaaaaaaan, I played Cage before he was cool. Now I'm just gonna' be labeled a F3 spamming scrub for playing him lol.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
wow i have never seen so much complaining about a character in my life, johnny cage appreciates all the hate, its all about stepping your game up against cage, not calling for nerfs and complain about f3 being neutral on block and all this shit am hearing, if you are a top player then come up with a way to neutralize cage plain and simple, prove you are a top dog. :cool: after some thought i have concluded that cage is indeed top 10 i admit i was wrong, i broke my habits, leveled up and i see the cage, its all about footsies, cage is the worst character everywhere on screen except up close, that has not changed. i say this IF they nerf cage, his f3 is neg on block so PL can stop crying give me a meaniful buff to improve his game outside not just nerf nerf nerf.

Deity

Noob
I bet REO could make a thread about having a hangnail on his big toe and that shit would have like 4,000 views and 800 replies

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I understand that Johnny Cage is a pressure character, but his pressure at the highest level is really ridiculous. Great Cage players can keep you in like glue. I think they should nerf the ex fireball trap or something. Cage is dumb. Anytime I see someone pick Cage, I go straight to sub zero because he rapes the majority of the cast. Cage pressure is so braindead.

Death

Noob
Reo is so right. There is no such thing as 5.5-4.5. If something feels like a .5 disasdvantage label it 4-6. Realistacally all the MU Charts right now have 5-5, 6-4 and barely any 7-3s.

I know every1 have personal MU charts and my suggestion is if your character wins a MU 5.5-4.5 change it to 6-4 and if they win a MU 6-4 change it to 7-3. So you can reverse it for disadvan MUs such as losing 4.5-5.5 is really 4-6 and changing 4-6 to 3-7 etc.

I think thats the REAL way on labelling MUs in this game. I think if every1 did this method wed actually have accurate MU charts and tier lists.