What's new

The REAL Johnny Cage Match Up Chart

I agree with this chart, this community declaring all these match ups as 6-4 and 5-5 is just dumb, especially with every one agreeing that this is a counter pick game. Cage manhandles every single character that doesn't have a means to attack well from afar, (and he can just dash block in like a boss) so why is it surprising that Kano, who has net to nothing to deal with him, is an 8 - 2? how the hell is he supposed to win against a top level cage? or scorp for that matter, with pokes that are DISADVANTAGE ON HIT? But he has armor?! THAT PASSES STRAIGHT THROUGH PEOPLE RIGHT NEXT TO HIM WTFFFFFFFF

Espio

Kokomo
Everyone agrees it's a counterpick game? A lot of people do and a lot of people don't, obviously everyone doesn't agree if a large portion of the community is disagreeing with this assessment in regards to his chart.

Counterpicking didn't become a big topic of discussion until the big money got brought into the equation....I don't think it's a coincidence that this started being talked about during and after MLG.

Disclaimer: Cage is one of the best in the game, I just don't think he destroys half the roster that badly.

Cage doesn't destroy half the roster unless he's played at the highest level. The top players agree that cage is the dirtiest motherfucker in this game, dirtier than cyrax, so why is it hard to believe that he has an advantage over most characters, and an extreme advantage over a couple? Have you seen top cage play? These are the best players in the country, and they literally get kneed to death from him getting a fucking BLOCKSTRING. This game isn't a counter pick game unless we are talking about play at the highest level, otherwise, player skill decides the winner

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Skarlet- ???
I would say that fighting Skarlet with Cage is almost the exact same thing as fighting Sonya, except she can zone him slightly better, and her armoured escapes will always get her out of trouble if you hit confirm the :ex red dash.

Id say Skarlet takes it 6.0, of course, this is based on the Skarlet and Cage player being of same level.

A F0xy Grampa and the Cage army might agree...

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Why would banning all resets be stupid? Im not contradicting myself, I didnt say they were perfectly balanced, its very balanced compared to other games. The game is pretty balanced, there are some flaws but that is remedied easily.
Because banning a part of the fighting gameplay in a fighting game is stupid. If a game is so unbalanced by resets that they need to be banned from tournaments, then the game is garbage. It's that simple, really.

Espio

Kokomo
Cage doesn't destroy half the roster unless he's played at the highest level. The top players agree that cage is the dirtiest motherfucker in this game, dirtier than cyrax, so why is it hard to believe that he has an advantage over most characters, and an extreme advantage over a couple? Have you seen top cage play? These are the best players in the country, and they literally get kneed to death from him getting a fucking BLOCKSTRING. This game isn't a counter pick game unless we are talking about play at the highest level, otherwise, player skill decides the winner
Number 1, you're misconstruing what I said, it's not hard to believe he has an advantage over a lot characters (was never apart of my argument). I also clearly said in my post he's one of the best characters in the game..so I fail to see what point you're making.

I've obviously seen top level competitive MK with Cage, I'm not one to comment unless I've seen and experienced something first hand

Player skill decides the victor regardless of high level, mid level or beginner play, that has always been the case. Counterpicking just increases your chances, but it's no guarantee of success, especially if your opponent knows the match up better than you and is more skilled than you.

People have always counterpicked, it just became a bigger issue recently. As this tier list and a couple others indicate characters like Cage and Kabal don't need secondaries, yet people still counterpick with them, I wonder why?

Yeah. This doesn't fly anymore. I don't care if it's your country's top Cage, that's not how it works here.
What ever man this sunday will be the nationals so if we get to fight me vs the Cages guy the top 8 will be recorded and post here I show you what I mean hope we find each other in those recoreded matches.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
You can't even kick Cage in to a pit, Kano tried, and we all know how that turned out. May as well just make that mu 10-0 Cage. Hell, even Sonya's butterface does not strike fear in the man's heart. He'll wine her, dine her, air cage her right in to handstand. You think Cage takes his women lying down?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Scoot, I wouldn't go as far as Cage-Reptile being in his favor, but it certainly isn't easy. Reptile has it easier than most other characters in dealing with Cage's pressure in that he has a 6f special that knocks down, as well as having armor. When spaced right d4 xx acid hand leaves Reptile pretty far away. The matchup boils down to footsies. Cage is faster, but doesn't have the range Reptile has (Reptile is lanky as shit >_>).

Theme

Noob
Because banning a part of the fighting gameplay in a fighting game is stupid. If a game is so unbalanced by resets that they need to be banned from tournaments, then the game is garbage. It's that simple, really.
That is your opinion on that matter, not the FGC. They have done bannings before, you can say the same thing for character exclusives like Kratos. Its part of the game, banning him in tournies is stupid!.... This game is not garbage, just requires some minor rules to make it as balanced as can possibly be at this point in the games life. Whats simple is your being narrow minded and saying if something requires restricting, then its stupid. Its not.

*Oh and this game isnt seriously effected by the resets for your information. How many times has the reset been used within a tourny that has been ground breaking? I dont think anyone of that caliber of players in tournies would need the resets to win. When has Maxter won because he killed them with a reset lately anyways? CDjr with the Smoke reset winning the game? Stage could be coin flipped.

The reason I said I wouldn't suggest poking out is because you suggested it in your post. I would never poke out, only dash. Really though reptile can only get out of pressure by dashing or EX slide but they both get blown up by a full combo into more pressure. Reading a block and doing 321 acid is decent but leaves reptile at a -4 disadvantage and JC right outside of f3 range. That right there means if you make a correct read on a block you got some chip damage, meter and are left in a pretty shitty situation, thats if you made the right read. If you're wrong you eat whatever pressure string into nut punch followed by more pressure.

In the end I say the guessing game up close is def in JC's favor by far. Reptile can zone him pretty well but the only way to keep him out well is with meter and it's not going to build that fast with zoning. Once reptile is out of meter JC is going to get in and it's going to be a huge problem. I'm not saying reptile cant win but in my eyes the match is 6-4 JC. That is not that bad.
321 acid hand is just a suggestion, reptile prob has better options.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Yeah THTB d4 acid hand leaves pretty good spacing when done from range (one of his best tools in that match), I was only talking about 321 acid hand from close range when you read that JC is going to bait a dash, even d4 acid hand from that range leaves you in a bad spot. I do agree reptile has good tools to deal with cage but I just feel that cage has a slight advantage. It's harder for reptile to keep cage out than it is for cage to stay in on reptile imo and 1 bad dash in an up close situation could lose the match for reptile. Cage can make a few bad reads on dash and still come out on top with a correct guess.

I could be 100% wrong I just feel cage has a slight advantage which is why I say 6 - 4. If its a standard to use 5.5's in match up charts I would say 5.5 - 4.5. It also could just be that I'm dealing with maxter and reo's cage usually lol.

Deity

Noob
Scorpion- 8/2
Sheeva- 7/3

OUCH lol how does Sheeva do better against Cage than Scorpion?
Scorpions normals are slow, his d3 is neg on HIT, his armor is ass, and his footsies are ass. Cage can almost literally walk up to him taking one or two hellfires, and proceed to sodomize him.