What's new

The Final Kryptonite Council Podcast: Covers the weekend and future

Glad you could admit some mistakes and grow from it, as far as getting better take your own advice in this podcast. Stop locking yourself to match up numbers and play to win. If you get a 6-4 in your head you may feel like you deserve the win, but no one deserves a win in competition ever. On the flip side a bad matchup number may make you feel defeated before you even play. The winner is the winner, by dumb luck, skill, or an act of god in the end the winner is called the winner. I know you got the drive to be a top player, but take some time to enjoy playing again. You did infinitely better when you were discovering things with your own character.

The best KCP I've heard, if not one of the most best podcast that I've heard ever. Major props to you pig, I don't feel it's an overstatement to say you saved injustice. You may not be proud of your tourney results, but you should be proud of what you did to make NEC possible (also credit to KN as well despite what happened) as well as tying up lose ends and encouraging others. You're a winner in my book.

Pig is a good guy. Back when I was playing MK and I was really bad, he spent a couple hours playing with me going over matchups. Very few pro players have done this for me. Actually only two, Pig in MK 9 and Tom Brady in Injustice.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
AK Pig Of The Hut

I just want to clarify that I did not say streams don't matter. I was only saying that streams don't matter much to me personally because I tend to attend most of these events anyway. I was only opposed to having players pay an extra fee on top of venue fee to cover the stream. I think TO should spend the venue money more wisely so that it covers the stream, which is akin to your suggestion about investing in 4G plans and not paying for hotel internet. Later on we were just arguing the effect streaming has on tournament attendance (Some were arguing it increases attendance and others were saying it kept more people at home. I don't think there is enough evidence to say which is correct).

As for when I don't attend tournaments, sometimes I will watch the stream but more often that not I am not able to do so because of real life so I just read updates of whats going on via irc chats or twitter feeds.

I agree with most of what you said relating to streams.

Last edited:

sn1kzZe

Noob
As far as the "gloom and doom" goes, I think many of us forget that this is a GAME. It's supposed to be fun. I think we take all of this too seriously way too often.
I don't like when people say its just a GAME. Soccer, Football, Baseball etc are just games as well.
Yes at first when you get the game you look at animations and seeing something cool is fun, but after a while you get used to it and the fun part becomes being better and performing better, numbers take over visuals.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
AK Pig Of The Hut

I just want to clarify that I did not say streams don't matter. I was only saying that streams don't matter much to me personally because I tend to attend most of these events anyway. I was only opposed to having players pay an extra fee on top of venue fee to cover the stream. I think TO should spend the venue money more wisely so that it covers the stream, which is akin to your suggestion about investing in 4G plans and not paying for hotel internet. Later on we were just arguing the effect streaming has on tournament attendance (Some were arguing it increases attendance and others were saying it kept more people at home. I don't think there is enough evidence to say which is correct).

As for when I don't attend tournaments, sometimes I will watch the stream but more often that not I am not able to do so because of real life so I just read updates of whats going on via irc chats or twitter feeds.

I agree with most of what you said relating to streams.

I wasn't part of the original debate but it's unequivocally better to have streams. Easier access = more opporunity for views = more overall interest. Why do you think sports broadcasting is such big business?

I'm so glad to hear you're not quitting Pig! This was a very inspiring podcast and I really hope you figure yourself out. You've been such an important pillar of this community and I'm looking forward to your return!

AK Pig Of The Hut

I just want to clarify - is your "quitting" the same thing you did after midwest championships, where you stopped going to tournaments temporarily in order to train so that you could place immediately when you rejoined?

That's what it kinda sounds like from what you've been saying, but people seem to think you're permanently quitting Injustice. Setting this point straight could clear up a lot of confusion.

AK Pig Of The Hut

I just want to clarify - is your "quitting" the same thing you did after midwest championships, where you stopped going to tournaments temporarily in order to train so that you could place immediately when you rejoined?

That's what it kinda sounds like from what you've been saying, but people seem to think you're permanently quitting Injustice. Setting this point straight could clear up a lot of confusion.
It sounded more like an indefinite break. Which means he can be gone for a super long time or be back in a month. That being said, taking like a month off of the game and coming back really helps you see the game more clearly and it also breaks any bad habits you picked up while playing before.

It sounded more like an indefinite break. Which means he can be gone for a super long time or be back in a month. That being said, taking like a month off of the game and coming back really helps you see the game more clearly and it also breaks any bad habits you picked up while playing before.
His last break was indefinite as well though. He just planned to come back when he felt he was ready. I'm just saying that if that's what he meant, it's really a positive thing and not a negative.

I agree, for someone who already has built up tournament experience, taking a break to come back fresh can be very helpful. Especially since the 1.06 meta is so new, letting it settle a little before making a game plan could provide an advantage down the line over those who get stuck in a pre-1.06 mindset.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
AK Pig Of The Hut

This feels different

I put in and have out in an obscene amount of hours and effort into performing well in this game just like I did mk9. Despite my efforts when I sit down in a chair in injustice tournaments I ALWAYS never play the way I train or can play. I play like someone who has never played or trained like I have

It's like training for a musical audition for 4-5 months 20-30-40 hours a week and then when u sit down to perform at that audition you forget every single thing you've ever practiced and every single approach you had planned but 2 hours after auditions you grab your instrument and play lights out

That's how I am in INj and it's infuriating to me. Even matches I win I just question "wtf am I doing"

I have some ideas but that's all they are right now. My whole point w taking a long long break or just eventually deciding to stop is related to whether a boxer feels he can perform still. Same thing, if I'm putting in all this time and none of it shows when it matters due to mental or some other unexplained happening then I look back at time spent as wasted and question if I should still be doing this.

This feels different

I put in and have out in an obscene amount of hours and effort into performing well in this game just like I did mk9. Despite my efforts when I sit down in a chair in injustice tournaments I ALWAYS never play the way I train or can play. I play like someone who has never played or trained like I have

It's like training for a musical audition for 4-5 months 20-30-40 hours a week and then when u sit down to perform at that audition you forget every single thing you've ever practiced and every single approach you had planned but 2 hours after auditions you grab your instrument and play lights out

That's how I am in INj and it's infuriating to me. Even matches I win I just question "wtf am I doing"

I have some ideas but that's all they are right now. My whole point w taking a long long break or just eventually deciding to stop is related to whether a boxer feels he can perform still. Same thing, if I'm putting in all this time and none of it shows when it matters due to mental or some other unexplained happening then I look back at time spent as wasted and question if I should still be doing this.
I feel like I understand a bit better now.

I can make two quick suggestions on where your issues might be coming from. Correct me if I'm missing the mark, but this is what I think I've picked up from your discussions lately.

(1) Self-pressure causing you to crack. In MK9, you probably went to your first tournament just to see how well you do. Then you got excited by the results, and that motivated you to keep getting better. Every time you did better, it was a new victory to get you going for the next round.

In Injustice, you're working from the opposite angle. You know you can perform at X level, and whenever you dip below that level, you feel like you've suffered a defeat. That defeat hangs over you and forces you to work out of fear of placing below X again. Every time you don't meet X, even if it's significantly better than what you've done before (such as getting 13th out of an 150-person tourney rather than 15th at an 100-person tourney), you feel like you've suffered a new defeat that looms over you until the next major.

tl;dr - In MK9, you played to win. In Injustice, you're playing not to lose.

(2) You've made some comments about your age. They're entirely misplaced. Yes, there's a lot of talented young blood at tournaments right now. That's just due to where we are in the development of competitive gaming; it's new, so younger folk can pick it up quick, and they tend to have more time than adults in the workforce.

The average age of competitive gamers is continually going up, even in games like starcraft where you have to click the mouse 200 times per minute. There's absolutely nothing to indicate that there's an age cap for competitive gamers that you're anywhere near.

Hope this helps you get some leads. If I'm entirely missing the mark, feel free to ignore.

Pig Of The Hut

What you're describing isn't a player problem. If you practice anything, and you are talented, you should reap the rewards for it. I practiced shooting basketballs: 100 3 pointers from 5 points on the perimeter, and it paid off in actual games. Also, to this day, I still have the muscle memory. Now, that wasn't and isn't to say that whenever I play a bball game that I know what will happen--I don't, but I have a pretty good idea of what will happen, and thanks to normal gravity and physics, when I'm right I can capitalize on it.

I've noticed that NRS games function differently than most 2d fighters, so in order to make it more predictable I've noticed that whiffing normals preemptively allows me to react to my opponent more efficiently, like whiffing standing roundhouse with smoke or crouching kick, outside of attack range, wait for them to do a move and when I come out of mine punish them. Is it possible that even with all of your training that you aren't setting up and controlling the timing of your moves and your opponent's moves? I am a novice MK9 player, so it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.
This is in no way my issue

I destroy people after and before tourney

In tourney it feels differnt

Matix218

Get over here!
This is in no way my issue

I destroy people after and before tourney

In tourney it feels differnt
Tournament nerves?

I know you are already an established top fighting game player who has made tons of top 8s so it would seem that this should not be a problem but maybe because of the consistent success you had in mk9 tournaments you feel an inherent pressure on yourself to instantly replicate that success in igau and that pressure you are putting on yourself is actually hindering your play.

In hockey (the world I come from) it is like when a proven scorer is slumping often it is 99% mental and has nothing to do with skill or natiral ability.

When you go out and play pressure free you are bodying people but once you (yourself) start putting that pressure for success on the forefront of your mind it makes you not play naturally. You read and react and adapt best when you have a clear mind and maybe lately in tournament matches the pressure you are putting on yourself is causing your mind to not be clear

Just a thought and I'm trying to help. Your still a top player even not playing your best. Look at the big names who didn't make top 16 at nec and you did despite not even being happy with how you played last weekend.

Pig Of The Hut

Tournament nerves?

I know you are already an established top fighting game player who has made tons of top 8s so it would seem that this should not be a problem but maybe because of the consistent success you had in mk9 tournaments you feel an inherent pressure on yourself to instantly replicate that success in igau and that pressure you are putting on yourself is actually hindering your play.

In hockey (the world I come from) it is like when a proven scorer is slumping often it is 99% mental and has nothing to do with skill or natiral ability.

When you go out and play pressure free you are bodying people but once you (yourself) start putting that pressure for success on the forefront of your mind it makes you not play naturally. You read and react and adapt best when you have a clear mind and maybe lately in tournament matches the pressure you are putting on yourself is causing your mind to not be clear

Just a thought and I'm trying to help. Your still a top player even not playing your best. Look at the big names who didn't make top 16 at nec and you did despite not even being happy with how you played last weekend.
not one bone in my body gets nervous

its just a serious mental block related issue

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
You're just a little mind fucked about it right now. Take some time, enjoy your family, enjoy the holidays, don't worry about "figuring it all out". Come back when you're ready, Injustice and the scene will still be here.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
What Saboteur said.

We are currently in the midst of the craziest time of the year. Just enjoy it with your family and just keep your focus on everything other than fighting games.

Once the holidays have calmed down, then come back and re-visit this topic with yourself. Right now is just not the time for it, in my opinion. Right now, your life/thoughts should simply be on family and friends. :)