What's new

The Final Kryptonite Council Podcast: Covers the weekend and future

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Pig, you've been one of my favorite players since using Mileena in MK. It would be very saddening to see you leave. This community needs you, and appreciates all of your efforts.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I always appreciated your unfiltered honesty Pig.. Right or wrong, you're never afraid to say exactly how you feel, and I respect that 100%.

Sometimes when I've been going hard on something I have to take a pause to keep things fresh; and when I come back, I always see it in a whole new light. So best wishes with your hiatus, and hoping you come back as Gandolf the White.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
AK Pig Of The Hut Well buddy I wish you all the best, and I can say for one that I truly appreciate all you've done for the community and for me as a friend as well. Hopefully we can still chill at some point while I'm home for Christmas break. :p

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I feel like the truth in terms of what Pig is talking about at the start is this: we should know these things already from the past

1) Certain types of characters (especially ones with unorthodox tools or playstyles) tend to look really good before everyone learns the ins and outs of matchups. For example, there were times in MK9 when everyone was getting blown up by characters when they were caught off-guard or didn't know the MU.

Jax, Johnny Cage, and Kung Lao and even Smoke got away with murder in Top 8 until everyone finally learned the matchups (it took months). The first time a good Sektor showed up, everyone got blown up until they learned the matchup. Likewise with Mileena etc.

So when someone shows up and does really well for the first time at a tournament with certain characters, you have to wait and see what happens when *everyone* gets scared, grinds the hell of that matchup, and shows up to the next tournament knowing every single bit of frame data, every gap, every punish and every weakness (that's when you truly find out how good a character is).

This put Raiden, Ermac, Rain and all kinds of other characters to death in MK9.

2) Certain characters take a really long time for their metagame to evolve and reveal how big of a threat they are. Kenshi was like this in MK9. People were cashing him out with ease until Pig of the Hut got ahold of him. Now there are pocket Kenshi's everywhere. Cyrax was "a mid tier character at best" until people broke him far enough. Skarlet was just starting to gain steam as of FR this year.

So it's too early to state that a certain character is an overrated threat -- you have to wait and see what happens once real top players really take characters to full potential.

So after the patch, people should take a deep breath and wait for the long-term results rather than making enormous 'statements of proof' after every single tournament :)

Time is one of the biggest teachers of truth.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
That was a great listen, and I'll be really sad if I never see pig in an injustice top 8 in any upcoming majors. It would be a damn shame.

NW players shouldn't feel bad about traveling. Even though I had a bad set with pig, I went even or was ahead against everybody else I played, including Fran's Superman (who was really good). NW has lots of even matchups, but there is definitely about a third of the cast where picking him is a liability. As long as you are strong with a second character to deal with a few matchups he's a fine character to play.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Much respect Pig. Really wish we got to meet at NEC. Stupid fucking phone issues...
Looking forward to your return. I still need to figure out how to use Joker in the Zod matchup!

Last edited:

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
AK Pig Of The Hut thank you for being apart of this community brother.
1st off I want to say do not stop being apart of KCP. I understand u feel bad for being apart of the Doom and Gloom but u have all the power to change that because how much influence you have within the community. You can take it in the right direction and shed a positive light on the community with your words.
2ndly when it comes to your tourney performances do you feel that because your success with MK9 you put that much more pressure on yourself because you haven't met that success yet. Because it is perfectly clear when tournament pressure is not on you, you play extremely well. We all know you can make it to the top and know you are one of the best.

3rdly thank you sooooo much for saving our community by allowing the stream to happen. In my book you made up for all the doom in gloom by doing that right there.
And lastly thanks for the secret shoutout on the Superman rising grab tech against MMH's OH tele. :p Even though you might not have known it was me.
But for real Pig you are 1 of a kind and I have mad respect for you and I truly look up to u as a player and a competitor and look forward to seeing how you do in the future.
Good Luck Brother.

DarkPage

Noob
Lol "and your just gonna have to hold that, cause your gonna be holding me, alrightimout"

Well if you play well not in tournament than you know your not washed up or "too old" Pig, Its obviously the mindstate you play in in casuals, and the mindstate you play in in tournament.

Plus i cant see how you'd be too old unless you have like arthritis in your hands or are going blind. lol

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
As far as the "gloom and doom" goes, I think many of us forget that this is a GAME. It's supposed to be fun. I think we take all of this too seriously way too often.

Anyway...I'd hate to see Pig go away. He's one of the most important people in the community and contributes more than just about anyone.

Loved the positive attitude of this podcast. This is the way everyone should approach this game. I think after this past weekend we can also put to rest the idea a portion of this community shares that MK was actually balanced better than Injustice. This is a fucking good, fun as hell game. If you're not having fun playing it, you might STILL have not found your character. I've been playing Lobo for a couple weeks and get bodied regularly, but I don't care. Also, I might just like the fact that I can fuck up 5 times in a match and have a 60% mid-screen combo bail my ass out every time.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Great podcast, pig. I don't know you personally, but you seem to be a genuinely nice person and not an asshole at all.

Edit: Also shout outs to that tank top guy. He was entertaining as hell to listen to. We need him on commentary at as many future tournaments as possible lol

Last edited: